First time painting Marines (with pics)

Zanrian

This is my first Tactical Squad from 2. Company. The Chapter is homegrown, but no background written yet.

http://larn.dk/images/tacsquad1.JPG-for-web-LARGE.jpg

Ignore the dread in the background as it is not done yet.

This is my Assault Squad from same company.

http://larn.dk/images/assaultsquad1.JPG-for-web-LARGE.jpg

We need higher resolution shots! More up-close pics!

This we (the royal form) demand.

Yes, agreed, we need better pictures! Also, could you please explain what is painted in what colours? I think the flash makes some of the details hard to see.

:-)

Not bad, certainly better than my own first attempts at painting marines. One thing i would suggest is perhaps picking out some of the details on the Marines torso's, just to add a bit of contrast in an area thats pretty much a single solid colour. But other than that they are pretty good, i especially like the deep red you've gone with for the shoulders and legs.

We need higher resolution shots! More up-close pics!

This we (the royal form) demand.

Yes, agreed, we need better pictures! Also, could you please explain what is painted in what colours? I think the flash makes some of the details hard to see.

:-)

Sorry about the pics, but at the moment it's hard to find a place to shoot my mini's without my kids (4 and 2) trying to eat them. ;)

Painting is done in the following steps.

- Chaos Black spray undercoat (GW)

- Skeleton Bone spray undercoat (AP)

- Blood Red (GW) for the shoulders and lower legs

- Shining Gold (GW) for the shoulder trim (since they're 2. company)

- Chaos Black (GW) for weapons

- Tin Bitz (GW) for weapons

- Elf Flesh (GW) for honorscroll

- Bleached Bone (GW) for honorscroll

- Scap Red (GW) for seal

Finally I just dip the mini into Quick Shade/Strong (AP) and shake. Done.

They're are not Golden Demon standard, but they're also "only" rank&file troops. Because I'm colorblind, I try to stick to the most uncomplicated paint scheme I can. The biggest problem I have, is to find a name for the Chapter. Their homeworld is a desert world, and I want something that is in tone with that. But what to call them? Desert Dragons? Sand Warriors? Lords of time? (is that promethium, I smell?)

Like your scheme a lot, and the red is very nice!

But it's a sin to leave the eyes and respirators unpainted ;) Fix that and you have a really awesome army to field!

I'm really a fan of the "Tabletop++" look: nice and simple since it just need to look good at the table, but the main details taken care well enough to survive an "eye-on" inspection :D

That's what I aim myself for now while I'm lightyears away of becoming Golden Daemon material :down:

PS: Need a name for them? http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/liber/C...terCreator.html

But it's a sin to leave the eyes and respirators unpainted :D Fix that and you have a really awesome army to field!

I'm really a fan of the "Tabletop++" look: nice and simple since it just need to look good at the table, but the main details taken care well enough to survive an "eye-on" inspection :down:

That's what I aim myself for now while I'm lightyears away of becoming Golden Daemon material B)

PS: Need a name for them? http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/liber/C...terCreator.html

I'm just not quite sure in which color I should use for the eyes and respirators. Any suggestions?

P.S. Name generator is NOT my friend. First reasult? Silver Hippos. Second reasult? Blue Hippos. I'm begining to sense a pattern here. ;)

But it's a sin to leave the eyes and respirators unpainted :down: Fix that and you have a really awesome army to field!

I'm really a fan of the "Tabletop++" look: nice and simple since it just need to look good at the table, but the main details taken care well enough to survive an "eye-on" inspection B)

That's what I aim myself for now while I'm lightyears away of becoming Golden Daemon material :)

I'm just not quite sure in which color I should use for the eyes and respirators. Any suggestions?

P.S. Name generator is NOT my friend. First reasult? Silver Hippos. Second reasult? Blue Hippos. I'm begining to sense a pattern here. :D

Maybe a light green or the same red you used for the eyes, IMO. For the respirator grids, maybe a chaos black drybrush, or apply more of the quickshade (maybe mixed with a tiny bit of black) directly there with a detail brush? You can do the same thing on the backpack vents too.

I just don't understand who thought that would be cool to have a chapter name with "bees" or "hippos" on them, to have those in the generator ;)

But it's a sin to leave the eyes and respirators unpainted :) Fix that and you have a really awesome army to field!

I'm really a fan of the "Tabletop++" look: nice and simple since it just need to look good at the table, but the main details taken care well enough to survive an "eye-on" inspection ;)

That's what I aim myself for now while I'm lightyears away of becoming Golden Daemon material ;)

P.S. Name generator is NOT my friend. First reasult? Silver Hippos. Second reasult? Blue Hippos. I'm begining to sense a pattern here. :P

Maybe a light green or the same red you used for the eyes, IMO. For the respirator grids, maybe a chaos black drybrush, or apply more of the quickshade (maybe mixed with a tiny bit of black) directly there with a detail brush? You can do the same thing on the backpack vents too.

I just don't understand who thought that would be cool to have a chapter name with "bees" or "hippos" on them, to have those in the generator :P

I added some Blood Red to the Assault Veteran's eyes and put some Gryphonne Serpia (wash) to the respirator. What do you think?

http://larn.dk/images/ass2.JPG-for-web-LARGE.jpg

But it's a sin to leave the eyes and respirators unpainted :wub: Fix that and you have a really awesome army to field!

I'm really a fan of the "Tabletop++" look: nice and simple since it just need to look good at the table, but the main details taken care well enough to survive an "eye-on" inspection ;)

That's what I aim myself for now while I'm lightyears away of becoming Golden Daemon material ;)

P.S. Name generator is NOT my friend. First reasult? Silver Hippos. Second reasult? Blue Hippos. I'm begining to sense a pattern here. :P

I just don't understand who thought that would be cool to have a chapter name with "bees" or "hippos" on them, to have those in the generator ;)

I added some Blood Red to the Assault Veteran's eyes and put some Gryphonne Serpia (wash) to the respirator. What do you think?

http://larn.dk/images/ass2.JPG-for-web-LARGE.jpg

If you want to go through the trouble, then paint the harness for the jumppack boltgun metal and the chest eagle in shining gold. Few details, but it makes your mini pop!

/vadskær

So here is the rest of the Assault Squad, 2nd Company

gallery_54659_4938_199396.jpg

Thank you all for the help so far. I'm really beginning to enjoy my marines. Though I still don't have any name for the Chapter. (See siggy for Chapter Name Creator's suggestions) Any ideas?

Try to be a little more careful when applying your basing material as you got some on a few of your marine's feet.

Neat and tidy wins the day :)

At first I have the same feeling, but the more I look at them, the more I feel that it gives the notion of motion through desert sand. But that could just be me being lazy and tired. ^_^

Nice, I didn't see the updates - the site didn't displayed the red square announcing it, dunno why...

I would just add a badab black wash in the recesses the harness and wings.

For the name, how about Sand Worms? (dunno if it sounds silly in english, but I'm a sucker for Dune references). Your Sand Warriors idea sounds nice to me, at least.

And a question: Zanrian, since you told us you're color blind, excuse me in advance if my question sounds silly: I'm considering doing a bleach bone look in my army - something similar to yours, but lighter (Angels of Absolution), with less contrast, so:

- how this skeleton white you mentioned compare GW bleached bone? (darker, lighter, brownish)

- How Quickshade compares to Griphonne Sepia?

Archived