mk16 Ultramarine

I wasn't sure where to put this since Dornian Heresy isn't quite horus related. Maybe they should start making a new section for this new fad which will probably spread like wildfire.

This is my attempt at making the Ultramarine standard bearer from page 42 in the pdf. I hate the ultrasmurfs, but whoever that artist is (I would surely like to give my praise in email if someone could find out who he/she is) has changed my mind. So far I just have the pose and bits worked out. Before I can glue anything down I need to finish the GS work, and get the paint stripped off of the poor tau defenders.

Alright, the key to making this style is mostly in the unique chest plate and helmet design. I like to go for accuracy so I used the standard Biker helmet for the sideburn vent things unique to the artwork. From there you carefully file off the central grille and then use GS to make it nice and angular. I'm sure you could also get the exact same results by using the crusader helmets from BT and GS the sideburn vent things to look correct.

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r120/Jaffar_Hasad/LO%20Bolter%20and%20chainsword/HPIM1161.jpg

For the chest you start off by cutting the waist about 1/3 of the way up, and then extra on the sides. Next is to file off any details left on the model. The GSing was done in 2 phases. The first step is to take a blob of GS and work purely on the front, making every bit of armor that faces forward flat and smooth. Imagine the armor to be a downwards pointing triangle, where the crotch makes up the point. Scroll down to see what I mean. The second stage of GS work is to make the sides of the chest and mesh that with the back plate. Add 2 small blobs and do your best to keep your angles similar on both sides. Messing up at symmetry will be quite visible in your end result. Make sure that when you are done, the front and sides are near the 1/3 high level that you cut earlier. The armor raises higher in the chest region than most other armor types in 40k.

Other important details I am adding will be the abdominal region, which will be made with a thigh plate from a tau firewarrior. I know not everyone here will have a tau army of their own, but if you know someone at your gaming club who plays them, he/she should have plenty of spare legs you could bits trade for. The base will feature a dying Tau that has been speared through the chest by the standard, and some rubble.

(Please note that nothing is glued, and no a bottlecap will not be part of the base)

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r120/Jaffar_Hasad/LO%20Bolter%20and%20chainsword/HPIM1162.jpg

Things of note, the banner hand is from FB chaos warriors with GSing armor on the backhand and thumb. The UM's U has been sculpted (badly), and I still need to sculpt the collar armor on. Shoulder pads will just have the rimming filed off, and I need to shave off the elbow pads and GS them smooth like the artwork.

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r120/Jaffar_Hasad/LO%20Bolter%20and%20chainsword/HPIM1163.jpg

Here is the triangle example:

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r120/Jaffar_Hasad/LO%20Bolter%20and%20chainsword/trianglechest.jpg

Once the paint is stripped off of the Tau, I might also start working on the marine who's choke-punching a defenseless tau in the face.

If you haven't guessed it, I am posting this now instead of a finished result to get it out there. Hopefully someone sees it, takes notes, and then improves the methods when making their own. Of course if you have those better ideas but hate UM too much to do it, I would gladly listen to them. For instance, how would anybody go about making the tau jetpack style backpacks? Plasticarding them seems like a tedious adventure I don't want to jump headlong in to.

In addition to tips and suggestions, criticism is great too. Thank you for your time.

I had the same idea. Although I never was interested in the Ultramarines, the artwork in the publication and the background story of their double betrayal really changed my mind. I really like the Dornian Heresy Ultras and I was going to to a diorama of them. So I will be definitely following your work closely for inspiration and ideas.

Congrats and kudos ;)

I like the Ultras from Dorn's heresy as well, and have been thinking about getting a box of tacticals just to do this. You made some good points, altough I feel that you've made the mid-section of the chest too large. In the artwork it is a bit smaller and the "curves" or whatever you call it in english is a bit more distinct.

Great stuff anyway! I'll follow your progress and maybe add some tips and tricks myself if i ever get around to having a try =D

- Natanael

Well I've just hit my second set-back. You might have noticed that the right thigh is just a greenstuff cylinder stand-in for now, but just a few moments ago I dropped the entire right foot and leg piece, so that now makes my marine short an entire right leg. Damn you hands that lack dexterity!

I've also completed the paint stripping on the tau, but I lost that leg while positioning the model for a pose.

You made some good points, altough I feel that you've made the mid-section of the chest too large. In the artwork it is a bit smaller and the "curves" or whatever you call it in english is a bit more distinct.

- Natanael

Yeah, I have indeed made it a little wide in the front, but in dealing with the scale of the model it would have been impossible to keep the right width while making the ultramarines logo on the chest. The curves are present on the sides, but they were slightly filled in after some touch-up work.

Thank you for Natanael and Night Runner. Good to know someone is following this.

Thank you Ferrus Manus, an email shall be sent pronto.

Always glad to hear there are more looky-loos.

I decided I should just have a stand-in until I find another pair of marine legs to butcher tomorrow, so in the meantime enjoy the bolter peg leg.

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r120/Jaffar_Hasad/LO%20Bolter%20and%20chainsword/HPIM1164.jpg

So the tau just needs it's feet straightened, the right hand cleaned up, and then just add some gore and desperation in the helmet lenses and it's good to go. I do think that once I get the right leg business straightened out, I'll get them glued and prettied up. Then all that is left is to get the arms positioned, cut, cleaned, shoulders attached, collar armor, and a base of some sort. Shouldn't be too difficult ^_^

Oh how could I forget. The backpack from hell. I guess this will be a second chance to plead for tips or suggestions. Tips and tricks welcome here.

If you've got any and wish to mutilate them Tau stealth suit backpacks might provide some components to convert a standard SM backpack or failing that scratch built using plasticard.

This is my attempt at making the Ultramarine standard bearer from page 42 in the pdf. I hate the ultrasmurfs, but whoever that artist is (I would surely like to give my praise in email if someone could find out who he/she is) has changed my mind.

That's what I thought when I saw some of that artwork, just amazing.

This guy is starting to turn out pretty cool, though the armor doesn't quite have the sharp angles to the chest plate yet, which is what jumped out at me when I saw the art.

Always glad to hear there are more looky-loos.

I decided I should just have a stand-in until I find another pair of marine legs to butcher tomorrow, so in the meantime enjoy the bolter peg leg.

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r120/Jaffar_Hasad/LO%20Bolter%20and%20chainsword/HPIM1164.jpg

So the tau just needs it's feet straightened, the right hand cleaned up, and then just add some gore and desperation in the helmet lenses and it's good to go. I do think that once I get the right leg business straightened out, I'll get them glued and prettied up. Then all that is left is to get the arms positioned, cut, cleaned, shoulders attached, collar armor, and a base of some sort. Shouldn't be too difficult :)

Oh how could I forget. The backpack from hell. I guess this will be a second chance to plead for tips or suggestions. Tips and tricks welcome here.

Looking good so far. I think you need to do the "collar" or whatever it is called (damn, why am I not english), around the neck-thingy. It really lacks without it, but I'm sure you thought about that :P

Anyway, about the backpack, I think your best bet is a modified Crisis-suit backpack. Use the side-vents from the crisis and attach to a regular SM backpack and you should be good to go. Maybe modify a bit with GS, but that should not be a problem.

- Natanel

+++EDIT+++

Also, I think the arm that is holding the standard is too streched out. If you look at the artwork he is holding it kinda relaxed. =D

I've been slowly cutting the mold lines off of the tau, but I can't really show them off. I've also been distracted by my Fallen Angels conversions which I started a long long time ago.

The right arm is not too straightened actually. It's a standard bolter arm, but I turned it completely sideways in the photo so that it would be holding the pole upwards. I still need to cut the elbow and work from there, luckily the hand is still just pinned into the wrist, so I can work around with it until I find the right pose.

The vents from a xv8 suit are quite large still, even those exhaust bits are more than half as tall as a marine. I also wouldn't want to rip apart a suit since I rather like the models. The stealth suit seems like a good idea, but again those models are mostly painted and too pretty to cut up. Madscuzzy confirmed that they are wearing jump packs, so my lazy idea of replacing the exhaust bulbs of the current pack with square ones is a bust.

Brainstorming is still helpful. I know you aren't supposed to give out links to templates, but if anyone could at least confirm that one for the tau suits exists, that would help.

Guest Mordray
Alright I know this isn't entirely the right place... but does that mean that all [DH] Ultramarines mount jump packs as standard? because the modified painter image and the scene shots don't look to be using vastly different backpacks.

I only just saw this thread, and would absolutely love to see a conversion of the mk 16 'Damocles' armour. ;)

As to details on the backpack / jump-pack situation, the best solution would be to contact Madscuzzy by pm.

Keep up the great work. :P

I guess you could build them from the original SM backpack, with some help of GS and small part of plasticard. I'm waiting for my payment then I think I should get a box of tacticals and try to make some of my own. Gonna need some help pinning and stuff like that, but hey: its a first try =D

Anyway - keep up the good work. Do you mind if I put some pice of my own trys later, in this thread? That way we both can get support ;)

- Natanael

I'd have been quicker on the uptake if I played Ultramarines, but I really liked this armor mark, and wanted to give it a go myself. I'll be watching this to see how yours pans out.

Looks good so far; keep going!

Keep it up ^_^ and maybe if we're all lucky enough GW might take an interest with the Dornian Heresy and make a new line of models :P

make it a wargear option in the new painter when its ready, cause I would like to see my own colours in MK XVI :D

Sounds great actually. Maybe if this and other Dornian Heresy conversions draw enough attention, we could get our very own subforum :whistling:

Yeah, that would be great. I'm gonna get a box of tacticals tomorrow and start working on my own. I have about 10 fire-warriors around aswell, so I'm gonna try and give the marines some modified pulse rifles when it comes to that as well.

Also - have you been thinking of how to do the lower part of the torso? I am thinking that it should not be too hard, but them i realised it is really kinda small. Any thoughts?

- Natanael

Also - have you been thinking of how to do the lower part of the torso? I am thinking that it should not be too hard, but them i realised it is really kinda small. Any thoughts?

- Natanael

I cut up a tau firewarrior's legs and I'm using the thigh pad. With that I will GS the rest of the waist and try to continue the lining as best I can.

- Natanael

I cut up a tau firewarrior's legs and I'm using the thigh pad. With that I will GS the rest of the waist and try to continue the lining as best I can.

Ah, great thinking. I'm gonna do that too. I have a first test-torso in the works now, but I dont think I managed as well as you did. Have got a few more spares, so I'm gonna try and get it done, and then do a new one. Pics coming tonight I think.

- Natanael

+++EDIT+++

Took a quick pic of the progress so far. I have only got my iPhone for photos, so its not very good but I think you get the general idea. The torso, tau-armour and legs are just blue-taced together so far. And dont mind the helmet :)

http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/2180/img0669cx.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

- Natanael

Good to see you're a man of action. Getting things done is something I suck at. I definitely like your start. You may want to shave the legs down slightly. If you notice on page 41 of the pdf the leg armor has slanted surfaces instead of being round, which I'm sure could be easy to make if you wrapped a thin GS layer around them and then used plasticard to square out the surfaces.

Archived