Legion Question.

BlOoD_GoD

I have Iron Warriors, and i know that if i just had the Black Legion i could but if i got a squad of noise marines, could i convert them to have Iron Warriors strikes as well as some pink? Since in the chaos codex, it shows that youc an change them for the Black legion but i was just wondering if i could for an Iron Warriors army, like maybe some yellow and black stripes or boltgun metal paint.

Usually it is specifically the Blac Legion that adpots units from other Legions if they are willing to fight for them. The other Legion smay employ units from other Legions from time to time, but more in an "ally" or "mercenary" constelation. The uinits will not become part of the Legion. The Iron Warriors in particular are rather suspicious and mistrusting towards otsiders.

You could do it, and people would probably let it go. But you may get a few complaints about how unfluffy it is. The Iron Warriors are usually expected to keep to themselves.

Oddly enough, in the First Edition of Warhammer 40K the Iron Warriors were said to be dedicated to Slaanesh (IIRC). But that fluff has been changed way back in 2nd Edition, and they have been "undivided" ever since. The 3rd Edition Index Astartes gave them a tendency towards Khorne instead, which is gone now again.

The 3rd Edition Index Astartes gave them a tendency towards Khorne instead, which is gone now again.

they utilised berserkers as shock troops I believe, to the OP, do it and be damned of the fluff, or convert them as marines using high tech/daemon tech, advanced/possessed armour for the +1 I and advanced/possessed weapons for the sonic stuff.

I have Iron Warriors, and i know that if i just had the Black Legion i could but if i got a squad of noise marines, could i convert them to have Iron Warriors strikes as well as some pink? Since in the chaos codex, it shows that youc an change them for the Black legion but i was just wondering if i could for an Iron Warriors army, like maybe some yellow and black stripes or boltgun metal paint.

It's legal in the army, and there's no telling what the next round of CSM fluff ret-con will bring, so go nuts, I say! I would say they would present a good opportunity to provide some contrast to your scheme, as well. I am not sure I'd bother making their scheme less-Slaaneshy. Maybe they were brought in as mercenaries of a sort. The Iron Warriors are nothing if not pragmatic, so if there's a good reason to bring cult troops along, they will. It's the same theory that brought about the use of Khorne Berserkers in the original White Dwarf IW rules, and the vagueness of the current fluff (according to Lexicanum, grain of salt included) also insinuates that counts-as Berserkers would probably be ok.

I am coming back to CSM after a long break, and will probably revive my Iron Warriors in the process. I used to get way too fluff-bound to really let the army perform for me. Unless you take your fluff as a point of personal pride, I say give yourself some slack.

Also, that sig has a grammatical error in it. In the last frame, there are two independent clauses separated by a comma. :P

If I wanted NM's in my IW's army (which I wouldn't), I would just model them as IW's with some special rapidfire, long range, weopons and leave the NM/slanny/pink thing out altogether.

Didn't say I wouldn't want NM's in my IW's army b/c of fluff. I wouldn't want NM's in my IW's army b/c IMO they are over priced for what they can do unless it's a EC army where the whole army is built around them and lash.

If I wanted NM's in my IW's army (which I wouldn't), I would just model them as IW's with some special rapidfire, long range, weopons and leave the NM/slanny/pink thing out altogether.

I've thought about including some NM into my Undivided army a few times, just because I like the look of the color scheme. I see no problem using them as straight up Slaaneshi Noise Marines.

In the current codex, where it has the color pictures of the Chaos Marines, it often talks about how NM will work along side other Marines in order to experience war and sensations and all that jazz. That by itself is enough justification for me.

On top of that, we know that NM were broken up into many warbands and that its actually rare to have a large gathering of NM and Emperor's Children at any one time (last phrase from the IA article) so it makes more sense to have them work as mercenaries for other Chaos warbands.

Lastly, the Iron Warriors are pragmatic to the extreme, and seem to have little problem using other Marines as fodder/support. It seems win/win to me, IW get some extra (disposable) firepower and NM get to head into battle more.

It's not so much that Noise Marines wouldn't want to fight alongside IW, it's more that IW would not trust NM's enough to let them into their warband. As for Khornate IW, that's kind of an accident. IW breaching forces need to fight with great ferocity and that ferocity draws the attention of Khorne which makes them even more ferocious and after 10,000 years of the self feeding cycle some are berzerkers. So yeah, it would be butchering the fluff but hey, the fluff is dead, everything is permitted.

So, it would make more sense dead-fluff-wise to have Khorne Bezerkers rather than NM's because IW attract the attention of Khorne? And my armies "fluff" has gone out the window with the Sorc HQ choice im going to give it.

Everything is justifiable via counts-as. You want a Sorcerer? Cool beans. He's actually a warsmith that's found an ancient relic (or been given one by the Dark Mechanicus). It's very fidgety, however, and hard to use properly, so he needs to take a leadership test in order to use it properly lest it backfire and hurt him. Call it a gun, call it an ancient poison-flamer, whatever you want it to be. Noise Marines? Same thing, they've got "special heat-seeking ammunition." I mean, come on, we're in the year 40'000! Anything is possible, especially with the power of Chaos at our call. The question is how far are you willing to go. You could use the Noise Marines as a "Chaos" version of Sternguard.

Archived