Tell Me All About......

Bannus

I think the Furioso/Ironclad dreadnoughts are completely irrelevant for an Earth army anyway, so the mini-rant was rather pointless. The loss of the Venerable dreadnought is a heavy blow, however. Venerable Heavy Dreadnoughts were very survivable mobile Heavy firebases with very good CC ability against things that could tarpit them. The regular Heavy Dreadnought is no pushover, but it certainly pales compared to a guns blazing Fast Baal Predator.

Disagree on the 7th point: KPs should be the easiest and by the far most preferred because the enemy now has to face you down and let's face it; entrenched marines are not moving for much if paul plasma cannon and michael missle launcher are taking down tristan the tyranid. KP is what we do best in because we do not take that much in losses and we tend to be able to drag the opponent out quite well. Objectives are difficult as you have to spread out for them and we can't do what eldar do and just decide to win because we can tank shock up to 36" away to take your objective (which I think need's fixed).

Well, KP's are not the easiest for me...

I think it depends on which army plays the beatdown. Against Tau, I have to play the beatdown. He out ranges me, out shoots me and our manuvers me. With only foot troops, the appoach is too slow. I am so beatup by the time I reach his lines, I don't have enough to win with.

Or, I can try to overwhelm a unit or two with firepower and hope he can't kill more than me, and that isn't easy at all, not against Tau.

Objectives are far easier for me. My Earth army strenghts are large numbers of above average troops and good armor saves. I can survive a large amount of fire power, but only for a time. Against Tau, it is far better to hide, then run to the objectives and take them by force. Then the Tau are forced to play by my strenghts, not thiers.

With Tryanids, they are the beatdown. But if I can seperate them by being agressive, and attacking my whole army against a section of thiers at a time, I will try.

Like I posted above, I still see my Earth force as somewhat watery. There is no need to always sit back and recieve the enemy.

Warprat ;)

• 3 weeks later...
OK. As discussions of the general topic wear down, let's look at the next step:

What units would you include in your first 500 points of this style army and - more importantly - why?

I'm guessing you're talking about a core 500 pts.

In that case, I would first take a devastator squad and a tactical squad as follows:

Devastator Squad (5-man)

3 missile launchers

The missile launchers are cheap devastator weapons and versatile. The squad can be upped with one more heavy weapon as well as more bodies when you up the points.

Tactical Squad (10-man)

flamer, plasma cannon

rhino

The tactical squad has bodies, a plasma cannon is great against most tough units and cheap on the tactical squad. The squad can combat squad, leaving a speed bump/flamer delivery system as well as a fire support squad, with the rhino it offers the protection to fire from its fire points, LOS-blocking as well as the chance for late-game mobility and objective-grabbing. The rhino can be exchanged for a razorback instead, increasing the firepower of the vehicle but losing the ability to fire from a fire point.

That's sums up to 345 pts.

With the remaining 155 pts, you can get either some counterassault (as its usually needed) or more firepower. Three different options I would consider:

Predator destructor (predator with autocannon, sponson heavy bolters).

The cheapest of the three, it brings a decently armoured tank that'll provide suitable support fire. If the points allowed it, I would have chosen two of these, which can easily be done by removing the rhino above.

Assault squad (5-man)

flamer

Small, counter-charging squad. Doesn't fit into quite a few Earth armies, but the mobility of the jump packs and the flamer template makes it a nice little Fire in your army.

Scout squad (10-man)

9 sniper rifles, heavy bolter, camo cloaks

Scoring, annoying and has a good cover save. Will cause pinning tests, can easily wound high-toughness opponents. Folds in melee. I know the squad's above 155 pts. Removing two models brings it under that value.

Archived