Sanctuary

Captain Mike

Hey all,

I've got a game against demons coming up, so I decided to take some Inquisitors. Flicking through the codex I noticed 'Sanctuary'. Basically, you pass a psychic test and no demons can get within 3" of the Inq, assualt him or draw line of sight through this 3" 'bubble' ( so they can't shoot him either), all providing the Inq stands still, and doesn't do anything.

My plan was simple. Stick him on an objective, along with a small troops squad, and cast sanctuary. He sits there, merrily looking on as everyone else fights to the death and he is and the accompanying squad hold an objective without any difficulty. Stick a couple of mystics and hierophants in, along with some tanks next to him, and things start to get a little silly.

But it seems too perfect. I basically end up with an invulnerable unit who cannot be touched unless I act stupid and move him. Or use weapons (which I'm not going to give him), or use a physic power (he's only going to have one).

Quite simply, am I reading the rules correctly? Its seems too good to be true, a kind of 'win' button. Surely there must be some kind of stopper here. Maybe some demons don't count as demons? Do any of them count as demons anymore?

Thanks,

Mike

No, it really is a little win button, provided it's used correctly. Sanctuary truly does keep out all daemons all the time. To be fair to your opponent, only take the power on one psyker so he has a chance against the rest of your army.

No, it really is a little win button, provided it's used correctly. Sanctuary truly does keep out all daemons all the time. To be fair to your opponent, only take the power on one psyker so he has a chance against the rest of your army.

Cheers man. It's just when something is so peferfect, you have to doubt it.

I'm taking an Inquisitor Lord and an Inqusitor with it, so I can only deny two areas. It's for a Guard alliance, so I can only take two psykers.

My guess is we are going to lose this little gem in the next codex. Fr 15 points is really over powered.

Cheers man. It's just when something is so peferfect, you have to doubt it.

I'm taking an Inquisitor Lord and an Inqusitor with it, so I can only deny two areas. It's for a Guard alliance, so I can only take two psykers.

My guess is we are going to lose this little gem in the next codex. Fr 15 points is really over powered.

You cast it at the start of your turn, and cant move or shoot. So its much tougher than youd think to get into position with it! However, it is really sneaky!

How many troop models can you fit in the 3" bubble around the Inquisitor model? If even one base is a sliver outside that 3" bubble, they can be shot, and assaulted :D

If you use larger objectives, say a 40mm base, the Daemons player can still contest said objective by being 3" from the opposite side of your Inquisitor's base. Like this: I..O..D (I= Inquis, O=Objective, D=Daemon). Unless you're using a 25mm objective that the Inquisitor can physically stand on top of, you can still be within 3" contesting range at the end of the game.

Instead of a Chimera, stick him in a LR. That you got from purchasing a Retinue of Mystics for him.

The addedd benefit of using an Inquisitor from a Transport is that the 2 shooting attacks they have that don't require LoS (which could potentiall kill the Sanctuary casting Inquisitor) can't do anything to Armour.

Still, if I was a Daemon player, I'd go find a more exciting game to play...

Instead of a Chimera, stick him in a LR. That you got from purchasing a Retinue of Mystics for him.

The addedd benefit of using an Inquisitor from a Transport is that the 2 shooting attacks they have that don't require LoS (which could potentiall kill the Sanctuary casting Inquisitor) can't do anything to Armour.

Still, if I was a Daemon player, I'd go find a more exciting game to play...

If i was a deamon player i would just charge it with a deamon prince, as deamon princes are not deamons with respect to sanctuary.

If i was a deamon player i would just charge it with a deamon prince, as deamon princes are not deamons with respect to sanctuary.

That kind of play would get me to pick up my minis even faster...

Do Codex Daemon Daemon Princes not have the 'Daemon' special rule?

EVERYTHING in C:Daemons has the "Daemon" special rule and is therefore most certainly a Daemon.

C:Daemon Hunters has a different definition however. Some players choose to go with that instead of the more recent definition, as would seem more appropriate.

It seems overpowered now, but remember that it was nearly impossible to take an entirely daemon army when the Daemonhunters book came out, as daemons and chaos marines were wrapped into one 'dex/FOC.

Also, check out the Sustained Assault rules in the Daemonhunters book. I can't remember if that applies when using allies or not, but could potentially be a huge drawback.

Archived