Chaos Dreadnaughts...

just to divert the arguing and stuff for a wee while, i'm actually dying to try out dreads in a spearhead army using the ambush formation, finally could be a reason to include them in a list :)

i reckon they could <shock horror> be amazing in the spearhead add-on in several ways :)

just to divert the arguing and stuff for a wee while, i'm actually dying to try out dreads in a spearhead army using the ambush formation, finally could be a reason to include them in a list :)

i reckon they could <shock horror> be amazing in the spearhead add-on in several ways :P

care to expand on that? im not sure of the ambush rules but im keen an making and iron warriors spear head, the more of my current army i can use then better:)

im gonna use 3/2 land raiders full of termies for armoured assault (outflanks :)) 2 predators with tanks hunter rules and i need something to fill the gap to 2000 points

You know, if they become amazing in Spearhead then I'll be more than happy because I can bust out my Tson dread for more reasons than just "I'm bored".

On another note, has anyone tried our current dreads with drop pods? Its not legal, but its so much fun to watch your enemies deal with a fire frenzied Dread for once (assuming the idiot doesn't shoot his own drop pod).

Jeskes point is that with the points you "waste" on the dreadnought you effectively drop something of more value. Because you took the dread you couldn't take more or better DPs, troops or Oblits and so on and because a dread most closely fills the roll of oblits that is what he compares them with...
I know his point now, but it's wasted on me. I don't have DPs, Oblits, or more troops to take the points away from using the dreadnought. Elites now I have plenty of, but it's either I theme the army one way or another, not both. This way I still don't "lose points" on anything.

I have seen Dual-CCW Chaos Dreads get blown up on turn one. I have also seem them tear through squads of Space Marines. I even saw where a Chaos Dread simultaneously blow up a Space Wolf Dread. The Crazed rule has its drawbacks, but Chaos Dreads can work. Competative? Not really compared to other choices. Fun? Sure.

care to expand on that?

sure, the ambush spearhead can have 1-3 tanks or walkers and they all get stealth and infiltrate, sounds like fun eh? ;)

oo000ooohhh that is nice. that way you should be closer to them anyway so if you get fire frenzy you will shoot them.

i may that that, may be hard to explain fluff wise...

But do you often see someone on the receiving end of a flamer pointing out to the firer that if they lay down the template differently that it will increase their losses?

sometimes . they wait to not to point it out , then after all rolls are made call a judge to DQ for illegal use of template weapons or at least hit show the judge that your having rules problems and next time when they play someone from your team [on the same tournament] the chance that they will get DQ will be bigger , because the judge will remember that you tried to cheat one time already.

People actually pull this kind of pi$$ant crap at tourneys? More than ONCE, and NOT get punched?? (refering to the not saying anything and then whining to a judge)

People actually pull this kind of pi$$ant crap at tourneys?

are you calling playing according to the w40k official rules crap ??

More than ONCE, and NOT get punched??

I always laugh at stuff like this . you realy want to tell me that at US[because I know most of the euro tournament sceens] tournaments people punch each other when they dont like judge rulings . Dude physical violence would not only get you a permanent ban from all tournaments ,but also get you charges for assault .

(refering to the not saying anything and then whining to a judge)

you would like your opponent to tell you your trying to do an illegal move durning the proces of you doing it ? how would that work , someone would have to say it before you start rolling/move then unit/put the template etc. +it is not whining . you do illegal move [in this case not maximize the number of models hit by a template weapon] and it is for the judge to decide what to do with it . + dont tell me you never seen people try to shot one or two models from a unit before a charge to weaken it , but not kill enough to not be able to charge it . how can your opponent or the judge know that you are not cheating with that in mind ?

Your area must suck to play games the jeske. Judges in the UK would laugh at someone who complained that their opponent mishandled their own weapons fire and should have hit more of their troops. At best. You should travel to a UK GT for some perspective I think, because most areas do not play as you guys seem to.

His point is that if you think that say, only 2 models are within charge range, that you could intentionally place the template to only hit 1 model (assuming you could hit both) so that there is no way that you can deny yourself the charge by killing everything within charge range. This is cheating technically and conceptually as you are contravening the rules to gain yourself an advantage.

You should travel to a UK GT for some perspective I think,

last time we went to an UK GT[begin of 3ed] my friend got DQed for using orks with 2ed sm bolters and not shotas . Tell me what sucks now . Good thing we were working for 2 months in the UK , because the whole image of flying to UK buying tickets and then geting kicked out in round 2 , would probably made us quit the game . This way it was just wasted time.

Judges in the UK would laugh at someone who complained that their opponent mishandled their own weapons fire and should have hit more of their troops.

ah yes of course because when you want to tar pit a unit of lets say stealers or sm with a dread and there is only 2-3 models in range and you cant fire with just the AC or hvy flamer , puting the template in a such a way that it only gets one guy is not cheating . nah it is tactics :D It is worse then 4ed rhino sniping , because that at least was legal and within the rules.

Archived