Urban Apartment : Comments needed

I`m working on a series of urban buildings, using a variety of wall textures and window styles. The big thing I`m going for is full playability of the insides, so I`m making them modular, stacking like a series of individual layers, making it easy to access figures inside. I`ve only gone up two levels so far, and dont think more than a four storey building is going to be practical, but thats still ok with me.

The second floor will be a wood plank textures floor, with the roof (which will sit on the white blocks on the second floor) being `tar and gravel`.

The ground floor I`m still not sure of. I`m thinking grey, like poured concrete, patterned brickwork or more wood planking.

The area around the building would be a nice place to lay some sidewalk material, but thats another work in progress.

These are the first moldings, and have the failings of being cut by hand, as opposed to by my new table saw, so the joints were hard to get perfectly square.

At any rate, I`d love some feedback and ideas on this so far.

If anybody knows of some good places to buy sci fi bitz to throw in on some new panels, I`d love to get hold of some.

http://www.red-dragon-terrain.com/uploads/2/7/1/5/2715769/7480768.jpghttp://www.red-dragon-terrain.com/uploads/2/7/1/5/2715769/9555810.jpghttp://www.red-dragon-terrain.com/uploads/2/7/1/5/2715769/2035180.jpg

http://www.red-dragon-terrain.com/uploads/2/7/1/5/2715769/5312123.jpg

Visit My Website

The brickwork is pretty good and the building seems to scale well with the 40k range. My only issue is the lack of damage to the building. All buildings in urban combat invariably suffer some kind of damage, though maybe not the full blown shell holes in the wall. Maybe give it a ink wash to tone the red down and add a few asthetic touches.

Well, it looks good, definitely different from the GW buildings. Perhaps they should be fortified? You know, some board nailed over some windows here and there, some signs hanging from the walls saying "Go home, xenos!" and stuff like that.

I agree with the battle damage idea. Since it's a brick building, odds are there would be a lot of holes and collapsed walls. Especially if a stray Vindicator shell hits it.

Looks good :)

However, the brick facade... not very 40k in my opinion.

Maybe you could use some plasticard panels... or some plaster (which I think would be easier and quite easy to smooth out).

If you want to do some gothic style, I guess the easiest would be some big pointed arches... with a sheet of plastic and a glass-picture? There is a tutorial in the WIP section.

Looks good :P

How much u wanna bet you see brick architecture in the GW photos of terrain they've used? I think it looks great. Even if you used an STC design for the structure, the brick could be a facade facing for visual appearances and it looks cool. Love the windows.

You know, I agree with all the previous posters that it doesn't really look that 40k at all. BUT! I think it's just because the brick is too bright? Maybe if you gave it a wash or something to darken it a bit? Or maybe gave it a dark grey selective drybrush?

It looks great as a brick building, I think it just needs some 40k 'dark, gothic' touches to make it really fit in.

Thanks guys, awesome tips, this sort of stuff does get me thinking, and letting me know the strong and weak points of what I'm building.

Since I'm working with molded slabs now, I can make as many intact, or battle damaged buildings as I want, so i'm covered that way. this one was just to see if I'm getting the concept right.

The colour was a tricky one. I used a "heritage brick" as a basecoat and drybrushed stone grey over it, but I get the sense its still coming off too red. Maybe I'll go with a dark brown and light brown drybrush next time.

I have a few differerent window types going right now, these ones, an ordinary square window frame and the classic gothic arch style.

I have to get to painting now, as i have the floor and roof sections made up. Pics tomorrow I hope.

Looks good ;)

How much u wanna bet you see brick architecture in the GW photos of terrain they've used? I think it looks great. Even if you used an STC design for the structure, the brick could be a facade facing for visual appearances and it looks cool. Love the windows.

It HIS opinion.

Anyway, it looks good but lacks some details here and there and battle damage which will make it more 40k-like.

Ludovic

Looks great. What you should do is put some Imperial propaganda posters or add some of the street lights from the C.O.D. sets or maybe some bits from the forge world brass etched stuff.

I like the arched windows, they look really good.

I will agree with most people that it needs a bit more darkness, but disagree on battle damage. I know most places should be damaged but I like the occasional random nice undamage place. Really nice work :D

I will agree with most people that it needs a bit more darkness, but disagree on battle damage. I know most places should be damaged but I like the occasional random nice undamage place. Really nice work :tu:

Depends on who you are fighting. Orks will damage buildings quite madly but Tau and Eldar, not as much.

These are casted? Nice idea there :tu: Specially for the frames!

The reddish color... I can't help imagining a 19th century factory, with all that brick... can't explain it much better I'm afraid.

Maybe you could try a more grey result: black base and mid dark grey for example.

Another idea: do different darkness color patches, as if the concrete had fallen or peeled off in some sections, pollution and so on.

Last, work on the corners! That space between walls kills the general effect :( (not between levels, only the corners).

Again, these are just ideas and well intended opinions... and dizzy, please do post some pics of GW 40k brick buildings: I'm always interested in learning and improving :)

I would not say that the Eldar and Tau would'nt damage the buildings ....Well not with their hands but their guns are still going to blow chuncks out of the bricks.

But yeah I like the concept but agree it needs alot more GRIMDARK ness done like drill lots of smalish holes around the windows and such and if you can a couple of gaping holes in the walls Oh and change the colour a bit like tone down the redness.

Good work Brother Keep it up

--WFI--

deffinately agree the DARK future of the 43rd millenium need to be put more towards, you really do get a 19th century feel but one easy trick is if you just put some plaster apparis in a paper plate let it harden then break it up just glue that on and it will look much more battle hardened

I'm really looking to add some tech inserts into some of the wall sections, some aquilas as well, Forge World seems to be a good bet for those. I might use some of my Hirst sci-fi bricks to add the techy stuff. The nice thing about using molds for the slabs is I can make a ton of them. Some can be intact, some i can smash with a hammer, drill holes into, whatever. The trick right now is to get a general template that will be good to game with.

A lot of guys like the ruins, thats for sure...

Remember, I've made molds for all the wall slabs, so I can mutilate as many as I want now. By making some more with different wall textures and windows, I'll be able to easily make enough buildings to have full, partly and totally damaged versions of them. I'll try to make one for this building and show you what I mean.

Archived