Traitors and Renegades...

hushrong

Im not much into gaming and decided to get into kill-team. The size of the game seems more at my level so i have decided to start this project with the Sons of Malice.

I think that they are unique amongst chaos forces and seem to be making some form of a comeback(or just being mentioned a tad more). Since they dont have alot of background i like how flexible i can be with them as well. with this project i hope to up my painting and modeling/converting skills.

This is all WIP and a good distraction from my Imperial Fists.

This is the second marine i painted as a SoM. Unfortunately my white came out too chalky! I am still trying to fine-tune this. I tried astronomican and then mix that with skull white but it just isnt smooth.

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc198/rongboy/P1010076.jpg

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc198/rongboy/P1010077.jpg

Here is where i am with the painting until i can get a good white going.

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc198/rongboy/P1010079.jpg

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc198/rongboy/P1010080.jpg

When i had put this marine together i realized that i needed some changes with poses. The first two were ok with me but seeing three of the same poses got old real quick. This pose at first was good because it just seemed like the marine would try to keep a low profile(despite being in a large war-plate) and creeping up on their prey.

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc198/rongboy/P1010081.jpg

My first attempt at re-posing. Taken from a tutorial by Megalodon that had been passed on to me. He isnt hunched over like the earlier marines and he isnt aiming up like the others. I hope to make future marines with better "aiming down the sights" looks to them among other things.

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc198/rongboy/P1010082.jpg

i plan on returning to Iron Warriors and Night Lords with the Kill-Team concept and will try my hand at a SoM Terminator army. Comments and criticims welcomed and thanks for taking a look!

@Barret: I'm not sure when but a bike is definitely going to be given the SoM touch. ;) After the kill teams and a terminator army i will just paint what i think looks cool and not follow a list for an army or anything like i am trying to do with my Imperial Fists...thus keeping it chaotic!

but back to the main presentation. i did a bit of painting and gave a coat to my ready Son:

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc198/rongboy/P1010085.jpg

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc198/rongboy/P1010086.jpg

its more white in real life so i will have to retake pics an re-post in the near future. dont know why he looks so grey as i used the same method for pic taking. the white looks like the earlier marine but smooth and clean(thanks to not messing up a wash)!

this white was mixing a bit of codex grey(my savior paint color) into some white. sorry i dont have a ratio thing or anything, i may look like a person who knows his numbers but i despise math with extreme prejudice! with this mix i ended up with the color i desired but with the consistency and smoothness of a color that does not come out chalky. *Codex Grey is my savior because it has helped me paint yellow, bleach bone, and several other colors with desirable results.

I just need a nice wash to put on the white to "separate" it from other colors. examples being the trim on the shoulders and the white being next to each other like on the right arm around the elbow. then try to highlight the black as that is a weak point of mine.

this guy still needs some touch up an other things to be painted so hopefully he will be done tonight while i start work on another one of his Brothers.

Thanks for stopping by!

the start of my Terminator Army.

Hister A'dol. i dont have a good title for him yet but he will be my Logan Grimnar count-as.

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc198/rongboy/P1010091.jpg

What should i do about the power cable, handle, and axe head piece in regards to colors? i think if i paint the face thing on the axe red and the handle brown that it will look good. any suggestions?

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc198/rongboy/P1010092.jpg

this will be covered by a cloak. i may try to copy the look of the front tabbard with the blackish-grey colors for the cloak.

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc198/rongboy/P1010093.jpg

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc198/rongboy/P1010094.jpg

My favorite part, the damaged shoulder pad of the inquisition. It seems fitting as an inquisitor was the reason that the Sons went renegade and now they will suffer for it.

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc198/rongboy/P1010095.jpg

I got some extra cash so i will be adding a termie squad this week!

thanks for stopping by an taking a look!

Might I suggest Lord Kathal?

in the future perhaps, but this is a character i am making up for what would have once been the 2nd company (i like the roman numerals for 2 because it looks like an 11. very fitting). of course they are a warband now and even before their fall they didnt follow the codex if i remember correctly. could be wrong as there isnt much fluff at all.

this guy, a sorcerer-librarian, and a chaplain(fluff wisei can make em fit... but i will have to see how that fits for my termie army later) are named after three anti-christs from Nostradamus' prophecies. all three were heralds of disaster and i think the Sons will be up to par.

Justicar Valius: this army is for those who seek vengeance :) and i only wish to please.

• 6 months later...

I have not been on this in a very long time.

So an update:

****forgot to mention****

I have decided to use the SW codex and make a Terminator Army out of my Sons. I will have to re-do my list in the future and post it.

I have built 5 Terminators and a Lone Wolf (with their Lord):

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc198/rongboy/P1010140.jpg

However, I hit a stump with the black and have decided to wait and repaint what I already have done. Basically I will go for a very dark grey that I think will work out a lot better.

I was also able to make Nay'Pal the War-Caller, a character I made up that i was very excited about (will count as a rune priest).

Nay'pal looked at what remained of his weapon and symbol of his former office. Holding the leather-bound grip he watched as sparks danced upon the ruined Accursed Crozius. It had served him well over the centuries but it was useless to him now. Nay'pal cast it aside as he eyed its replacement.

He knelt down and took the weapon in his hand. It was beyond exquisite. It's weight and design far exceeded his expectations. With just one hand he could cut swathes through his foes. The scythe was a true weapon of death Nay'pal thought as he walked toward his bleeding foe.

Sitting upon her knees she looked up to the sky. With her remaining hand she clasped her chaplet ecclasiasticus for dear life. Her power armor had been crushed. The Sororitas ribs were broken and parts of her armor had dug into her flesh. She breathed heavily trying to fill her lungs with air.

Her face winced as she felt the sharp pains continue to spike her body from where her right arm had been torn from her. She tried to pray through blood covered teeth as she bit down on her tongue.

"He will not hear your prays sister. I know."

Before she could utter one last shout of defiance Nay'pal ended her pain with a clean swipe. Her head rolled and body slumped forward.

"A fine weapon sister and I thank you for its possession."

He said before silencing his voice completely as he returned to the battle at hand.

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc198/rongboy/P1010154.jpg

**if you have a bit of time to kill or boredom to wear off, here is their Plog with more details as this post is just a highlight of events.

Thanks for stopping by!

The Chaplain's skull helmet looks really cool. I saw your thread over at Warseer when I was looking for inspiration for my own army :) I gotta say though, they look really Chaos-y which I never pictured with the Sons of Malice, but each to his own of course. Great work so far!

Fluff-wise how are you including a Chaplain in your army? Is he like a Dark Apostle cept he preaches about Malal or what?

Thanks Terminatorinhell! I always like to include Sisters (aka Inquisition Lap Dogs) into my fluff whenever possible haha.

@Goosedamoose: I was going through your Sons of Malice log here on B&C but didn't get to finish it (so i will be stopping by after this reply). I also hope i was able to inspire something with my log haha. From what I was reading in your log, in regards to a tattoo, I want my future Sons to have a tribal-style myself since they come from a feral world. I had been thinking of using some SW bitz for that effort (mostly for the furs).

As for their chaos-y-ness it basically because i bought two boxes of Termie Lords and two boxes of chaos Termies. I honestly think they would look more sinister since they aren't loyalist anymore. As for this Termie army, I basically reason that almost all of their armor is salvaged from battles with chaos forces. These guys aren't 1st Co. Vets...so their goods come from the dead. And to be honest I should have filed off chaos symbols on the left should pads.

And Nay'pal in my fluff was a chaplain in the Sons of Malice who was leading some rights and rituals for their celebration from the incident where they were betrayed. After exterminating the sororitas who attacked during the midst of their celebration, he began to utter litanies of pure hatred. The entire chapter was basically betrayed because of one inquisitors misunderstandings and that one accusation would lead them to damnation. So I think they would all be on the same boat and utterly ticked by this, so having a chaplain who now preaches hate and violence towards the Imperium & Chaos would fit in I think. He will also preach of Malal (or Malice as they call him now) before and after battles. I was thinking that during a battle, since they fight in silence, they listen to recordings on hate-filled litanies on their vox network.

Unfortunately I didn't bring any of my Sons on my trip so no new pics...sorry :P

Yeah I agree with that, I'm gonna add more furry bits and whatnot to the powerpacks though so as not to clutter up the armour of the Marines.

And it's cool, what better way to get scary looking guys than using scary looking armour? :P But I'd think they'd be a bit cautious about using any and all Chaos armour they'd find in case it's corrupted or somehow corrupts the marines wearing it. But yeah, if I were you I'd go for filing it off, cuz it's just a small part that you'd have to repaint and it makes a world of difference. Wearing the eight pointed star of Chaos is a big no-no among its most devout haters ;)

Your Chaplain fluff is pretty cool, I like the idea of the army going to war with their iPods on full blasting litanies of hate in their ears haha :P I was thinking of making a Chaplain that led rituals before and after battles, like eating the enemy's hearts (brains and eyes are ritually offered to the Commanders and Librarians, respectively, as a way for them to gain insight, wisdom, and clairvoyance) and then during battle leading a squad of count-as berzerkers, who are Sons of Malice that have eaten too much human/Space Marine flesh and then become slightly unhinged and crazy, sorta like a Blood Angel Chaplain with the Death Company.

Edit: sorry bout the blabbering :P

• 2 weeks later...
I guess it was inevitable that as we approach 2011 more Sons of Malice players would surface!

Hmm, there do seem to be a worrying amount of Malal worshippers cropping up around here of late, *grabs flamer and Glaive Encarmine* I fear we may have to instigate a purge...

Thanks Mabrothrax! I have been giving it thought and to kick off the Year of Malal I will be starting a new log for a fresh start. I hope to bring better conversions to the fore and present some of my fluff for my SoM warband, the Anarchist's Fist. So to those interested, keep an eye out!

Terminatorinhell, DO IT! You can't go wrong when your God marches amongst your ranks! Definitely shoot a PM when you have some up and ready!

and SanguiniusReborn, put down those arms and join us! the hatred found in the Black Rage would serve Malal well my friend!

2011 will be a good year for all Brother-Anarch's everywhere. To everyone out there, have a Happy New Years!

and a taste of things to come.

The metal decks cracked liked broken bones under the stress of the mighty warrior's defensive stance. The impact of the thunder hammer was jaw clenching and Geor was impressed with his foe, it had been so long since he had battled with his physical form. Underneath his helm the lips of Geor began to move yet words of others spoke out.

His foe, a lap dog of the false emperor, was very capable and skilled with his weapon. Black armor with white shoulder guards was adorned with all manner of icons of the Black Templar. They were warriors forever on crusade that would hone their skills with weapons of honorable combat. To wield and use a thunder hammer in the confines of a vessel was a skill to be praised Geor thought. Many would settle for bolters and even blades but a thunder hammer would be dismissed by many save for the elite. Like a spear, his foe would thrust the mighty weapons with lighting speed. With the most skilled techniques the lap dog would bring down the weight of his weapon with armor-shattering force.

Geor continued to chant praise to his God unhindered while shifting from defensive and offensive stances. The battle between the two was as if a dance amidst the music of combat. Geor would rush forward and lash out with staff and attacks of his mind. Lightning would dance upon the metal decks toward the Black Templar from the tips of his finger while his staff obliterated paneling. Then his foe would return in kind the same malevolent intent and violence.

Each blow from the hammer would spark on impact with the staff and would splinter Geor’s terminator armor.

The words coming from Geor began to grow louder as though it was accompanied by another several hundred voices. With each word they would scream, shout, and whisper in a dissonant harmony. While charging forward the black templar stopped in his path as though dazed. His mind saw an eternity of violence and death while blood flowed began to trickle from his nostril.

The words became like daggers and the warrior dropped his weapon to tear out his ears. Screaming and flailing about the warrior ripped the cartilage of his ears from their place. Falling to his knees, the warrior began to search out with his hands for something that was not there. Then, he looked up to the source of the voices, the Librarian Geor.

The warrior could see through what were once the eyes of the terminators helm and what he saw was darkness. The chanting of a thousand voices continued as the Black Templar looked into the black orbs that had become the eyes of the ancient warrior. The warrior could feel his very soul invaded. Made from the malicious will of his God, the darkness emanating from the eyes was like an abyss that drew in the warrior.

Looking through a vision not of the material realm, Geor could see into the very being of the Black Templar. He saw the desire to purge the heretic and traitor, his deeds that had gained him honor among his peers, and the warrior’s undying loyalty to the false emperor.

Hate filled Geor’s soul and amongst the thousands of voices his own words where heard by the Black Templar. "BURN!"

The flesh of the Black Templar began to combust and rapidly the fires grew. Geor turned as the warrior dropped to the deck, lifeless. The flames robbed oxygen from his lungs, it had scorched his respitory system, and the fire itself consumed him and left a charred corpse in stained armor.

Marching onward to the bridge as his Brother-Anarch’s continued their battles, the voices of a thousand damned souls echoed with his every foot step.

Archived