Tactica: Spearhead

Koremu

For those who don't know, the Spearhead Formations are up on the GW site. I've created this thread to have a brainstorm for Tactics and unit selections for Spearhead games.

My first thought regarding this is that Predators just became tons better. The 'Spearhead Rule', which all Spearhead units get, allows non-Walkers to Fire an additional weapon if they move at up to cruising speed, and at a different target - essentially PotMS but with an additional limitation to stop it working with Flat Out movement.

Each different Spearhead gets its own Special Rules, like a mini Apoc formation. I'll let you all read the details on those in the PDF, and just state the things that sprang instantly to mind;

The Armoured Spearhead pretty much cries out to be used for 3 Vindicators.

The Ambush Spearhead allows Dreadnoughts with Infiltrate and Stealth. This allows both first turn Dreadnought Rush, or for Rifleman Dreads with 2+ Cover Saves (with helpful Bolster Defences).

A Mechanised Assault Spearhead lends itself to Land Speeder Storms with Scouts - a Power Fist and 4 Krak Grenades arriving at high speed from a Flank on turn 1 is nasty anyway, but because Spearhead is played lengthways along the table, the board is only 4 foot wide.

Tank Hunter Spearheads seem to lend themselves to Predator units.

Outrider Spearheads look good for running a pair of cheap dakka preds alongside a Vindicator.

The Skyfall Spearhead could allow you to deploy up to 9 Land Speeders with pretty much pinpoint accuracy.

The Seek and Destroy Spearhead is just insane with Land Speeders or Attack Bikes.

Anyone else's instant thoughts?

I'm glad I'm not alone. I have not dissected this entirely, but your observations are clear examples of making multiple/same units ... actually worth it.

For example, three Vindicators look so good, but until now, were an Apoc-only event.

Just glanced through it, some very interesting different things jump out at me.

Tank hunters spearhead with 3x combi or trilas(worth it with tank hunters?!?) preds would be insane, since they could very effectively split fire on the move under the spearhead rules.

EDIT: by this I of course mean that 3x trilas preds could roll up 6", within 4" of each other and each fire their TL-las, effectively S10, at a different target, and a las sponson, also effectively S10, at a different second target. Horrifying.

I'm thinking 6 units of assault scouts with S7 krak grenades and preferred enemy against MCs each with a powerfist would be interesting to play. Or wait...the same, only chaos space marines...Or plague marines, Ouch. EDIT: Khorne berserkers, final offer.

Outriders would be funny with a vindicator flanked by two rhinos. Since they don't have to be purchased with any unit, they're basically cheapish ablative wounds at that point(count as heavy support). Or better still, TLHB razors. Cheap, and adds a bit of dakka.

Crusher spearhead with 3 possessed chaos vindis with dirge casters. Counts-as AV15 for ramming and -2LD when tank shocking. Who needs a demolisher cannon anyways?

Seek&destroy is just not even fair with up to 9 land speeders moving flat out and being able to shoot...sounds like fun!

Some of this is nasty. Spearhead looks like it could be good, if only i had enough tanks :sweat:

EDIT: Mass Attack looks fairly useless for SM. We already can regroup whenever, and we already have Kraks at S6. Not getting enough for those 90pts really. My opinions

Outriders would be funny with a vindicator flanked by two rhinos. Since they don't have to be purchased with any unit, they're basically cheapish ablative wounds at that point(count as heavy support). Or better still, TLHB razors. Cheap, and adds a bit of dakka.

The trouble with using Rhinos as Outriders is that any canny opponent will just blow away the lower AV Rhinos and then start on the Vindi.

BA have an obvious out with Baal Preds.

In a friendly local game environment the Sabre (either the B&C rules or the Tempus Fugitive ones) with attendant Preds would also be great.

Seek&destroy is just not even fair with up to 9 land speeders moving flat out and being able to shoot...sounds like fun!

I like the idea of 9 Multi-Melta Attack Bikes and taking Khan so that they are all Outflanking, come on with a 3+ Cover Save with a 24" move and 24" range on a 48" wide table... yeah, that'll do :D

Oh, and while Mechanised Assault is nice with Land Speeder Storms full of Scouts, it is also viable to use Land Raiders full of Hammernators :devil:

EDIT: Also, Mass Attack Spearhead = Death Company with Preferred Enemy: Monstrous Creatures

Outriders: Land raider leader with two outriding venerable dreadnoughts. I just made AV14 even more of a :) to deal with that usual! (and did I mention, this land raider can now target up to 3 targets a turn now. Spearhead rule, PotMS rule plus standard shooting and oh, did I forget the dreads who further the power. Be thankful i only have 2 venerable dreadnoughts for now!).

I can also see serious chance for the ambush one to be a nasty one (if you thought a baal predator was a pain with scouting, just try it when it can now actually get behind your armour TURN 1!).

However I will be returning to C:SM because where else am I going to get dreads who can do something?!

Well, your opponent would be forced to shoot the razorbacks first anyways, meaning there would be two vehicles that would have to die before the vindi...as long as they stayed within 4", so extra armor is essential here. Yes predators would be more difficult to kill, but they're also twice the cost at least. And you could potentially use the vindicator to give them a coversave...they can comfortably shoot over it. This would make them more difficult to single out except when you wanted to use them to take hits for the vindi. Advancing up the board, you can line them up and have the first vehicle pop smoke and the other two getting cover from it, so that no matter who gets shot you get a coversave... and since you can allocate hits against the leader to the other tanks supporting it, it's kind of a win-win, as long as the spearhead leader has a save.

Using a raider and 2x dreads would certainly work with a land raider in outrider, but you lose the speed of actually being able to move it far, as it has to babysit 2x dreads(though the two dreads can run and still shoot ofc. Or run and pop smoke). A land raider and 2 EA dakka predators could do really well though, use the raider as usual, and just move the predators up to support. This would of course work best with a pair of baal preds as they're fast.

Crusher is awesome because it only costs 15 points. Imagine you're taking a regular list, you have a bunch of transports. Well now you can pack those transports into a crusher formation and still have them deliver troops. 40 pt transports just got a lot more dangerous with AV15 ramming power and -1LD tank shocking. A little silly, but sounds like it could be a blast.

I'm still thinking possessed vindis will be the best possible use for this, AV13 front armor, ignoring shaken and stunned, plus having a nice gun to use until it gets weapon destroyed.

I'd use the Land Raider to guard (as opposed to have it guarded) in an Outrider Formation, so that you can't kill my Rhinos / Razorbacks full of Tacticals or Sternguard, effectively neutering all of those weapons normally used for Long Range transport killing. Depending on the rest of my army it might even work using a Vindicator or Predator in Place of the LR, making the whole Formation less costly....

Using a raider and 2x dreads would certainly work with a land raider in outrider, but you lose the speed of actually being able to move it far, as it has to babysit 2x dreads(though the two dreads can run and still shoot ofc. Or run and pop smoke). A land raider and 2 EA dakka predators could do really well though, use the raider as usual, and just move the predators up to support. This would of course work best with a pair of baal preds as they're fast.

Here's a cheesey move and a good form of rule bending: place both dreads on one side where there is the least amount of AT fire being able to see them: now you effectively have AV14 venerable dreadnoughts. I believe that should keep you busy for a while!

I really have to pick up this issue of WD to know for sure, but the first thing I thought of after reading the Armored Spearhead formation was an LRR...which would become able to fire both of it's Flamestorms on the move (upgrading it from lackluster to mean). I'd assist the LR with 1-2 Vindis...which, as Koremu pointed out, seems natural...esp for a BA player as a 12" move prior to a Vindi shot is pretty nice.

With the Outrider Spearhead it's important to note that damage transfer happens last, after AV and Cover Saves.

With all Spearheads other than the Outrider, all vehicles have to be taken from the same entry in the Codex. This means you can't even mix Land Raider types in a single Spearhead (which sucks). IG Players can mix up to 9 Leman Russ of any type.

EDIT: 1 Land Raider and 1 Venerable Dreadnought does work as an Outrider though, as the Walker & MC Variant of the 'Spearhead Rule' allows them to run and shoot one weapon. AV14 Venerable!

I'd use the Land Raider to guard (as opposed to have it guarded) in an Outrider Formation, so that you can't kill my Rhinos / Razorbacks full of Tacticals or Sternguard, effectively neutering all of those weapons normally used for Long Range transport killing. Depending on the rest of my army it might even work using a Vindicator or Predator in Place of the LR, making the whole Formation less costly....

I don't think that'd work too well. The outrider spearhead allows you to move damage rolls inflicted on the lead vehicle to one of the outriders. So if you make the rhino the lead vehicle, I'm firing at AV11, making it very easy to damage your raider outrider and get it out of the way. On the other hand, if you make the transport rhino the outrider, I can just attack that direct, as there's nothing to stop me targeting the outrider units in that way.

I don't think that'd work too well. The outrider spearhead allows you to move damage rolls inflicted on the lead vehicle to one of the outriders. So if you make the rhino the lead vehicle, I'm firing at AV11, making it very easy to damage your raider outrider and get it out of the way. On the other hand, if you make the transport rhino the outrider, I can just attack that direct, as there's nothing to stop me targeting the outrider units in that way.

Exactly. An Outrider Spearhead needs two vehicles with closely matched defensive capabilities.

I'm liking the Walkers & MC's being able to run & fire, allows defilers to get up close fast & still be able to pump out some fire... also being fleet, doesn't that mean move, run, fire, assault?

Yup. Same goes for BA Dreads. Now put them in an Ambush Spearhead. Laugh, evilly.

My eldar skimmers were just gutted they couldn't take the crush'em spearhead or whatever it is called.... count as AV15 + 36inch move... would have been good times when ramming...

I think GW saw that one coming so don't think GW are THAT stupid. However it still means good times for the rhino rush. BA rhino rushs in certainity.

12" forward into position and smoke

18" into enemy wherever you like (and even a 12" ram gets a strength 9 shot at it while the best you can get hit back with is a strength 8 at that range. Oh AV15 makes you immune to that!)

Now even if they blow your rhinos up, you assault squads get out and laugh as you assault with glee from the ruined wreckage of your make-shift marine missle (it is now in effect what it is. A marine missle! or if your a DoW fan, it's a SPESS MAHREEN metal BAWKES missle!)

Could have alot of fun with a game that had both sides with a crusher spearhead rhinos, demolition derby: EXTREME!!! (as me and brother used to do in some of our FPS games whe he was driving: ramming SPEED!!!).

And remember children: extra armour and smoke launchers are your best friends. 3 rhinos equals 30 marines, 30 marines equals pain.

My eldar skimmers were just gutted they couldn't take the crush'em spearhead or whatever it is called.... count as AV15 + 36inch move... would have been good times when ramming...

I think GW saw that one coming so don't think GW are THAT stupid. However it still means good times for the rhino rush. BA rhino rushs in certainity.

12" forward into position and smoke

18" into enemy wherever you like (and even a 12" ram gets a strength 9 shot at it while the best you can get hit back with is a strength 8 at that range. Oh AV15 makes you immune to that!)

Now even if they blow your rhinos up, you assault squads get out and laugh as you assault with glee from the ruined wreckage of your make-shift marine missle (it is now in effect what it is. A marine missle! or if your a DoW fan, it's a SPESS MAHREEN metal BAWKES missle!)

Could have alot of fun with a game that had both sides with a crusher spearhead rhinos, demolition derby: EXTREME!!! (as me and brother used to do in some of our FPS games whe he was driving: ramming SPEED!!!).

And remember children: extra armour and smoke launchers are your best friends. 3 rhinos equals 30 marines, 30 marines equals pain.

Its ok I'll take the Grot tank squadrons from IAVIII and use them instead.. squadrons of 6 counting as AV15 and being able to move up to 18 B) and if they tanke damage from the ram they have a 5+ inv save woot!

Plenty of interesting options here. They don't appear to be well balanced, at a first glance. I do wish there was more infantry spearheads available.

My main question is: will these be legal in tourneys? I'm pretty sure the answer is no. And since tourney rules tend to be used as default in most pickup games, I think you'll end up needing opponent permission before using one of these.

Archived