Cold Fire Space Marines

Hi All

Just wanted to share with you the first Space Marine I have painted in over 10 years!

I have just got back into the hobby and a I thought I would post some pics of my protoype Sergeant.

I have created a new Chapter colour scheme for my chapter the Cold Fire Space Marines. They are a mostly Codex chapter. The Purple Shoulder Pad states he is from the 3rd Company and his right knee pad confirms this.

I would love to here your comments/suggestions. There are a couple of things I am not happy with. The lettering on the KNee pad is scruffy but I don't have a brush small enough. What brushes to you guys use?

I am not sure about the Warlock Purple weapons but wasn't sure what other colour to try.

I do have some pictures taken with a DSLR by my wife but they need shrinking first and they also show a lot of roughness I can barely see with my eye.

I look forward to your comments and I will be updating it once I have completed more Marines.

Here are my pics I uploaded them to the B&C gallery but also have them on PhotoBucket not sure what the desired way of posting pics is so I just followed the instructions in the B&C 101 post (using the BBCode).

If it's wrong let me know the correct way and I will change it.

gallery_55098_4967_83727.png

gallery_55098_4967_341375.png

Hmm...well, welcome back!

Right into Hints and Tips, then;

- Be sure to Mix and Thin Paints well. Give them a firm Stir for a short time in the Pots, or perhaps a brisk Shake, without causing Air Bubbles. Don't 'Not Thin' because the Coverage isn't complete First-Time Round; especially with White! Layer it! Perhaps work up, in Thinned Layers, from a Blue-Grey to Frosty White!

- I rock the Retro, Old-Skoo' Citadel Brushes. Just fine for me, and the Level I work at.

- Replace the Warlock Purple with some Blood Red; at least, I would. Incidentally, nobody has ever won the Eurovision wearing Purple! /End'Off Topic'/

- Again, thin, thin, thin!

Hope that helps!

Hi

Thanks for the hints. I'm not trying to win the Eurovision just crush the Heretic!

I will thin out the paints more. That one was built up over 3 layers of just Hawk Turquoise then a wash consisting of a mix of blue and green washes. Should I be starting with a different colour first?

I am not sure about how to split the different layers and highlights etc.

Last time I did this I was but an impatient teen who just wanted to play the game.

Now I am more into the painting rather than the playing.

I will swap the purple for red on the next batch I have put together and then post pics for you all to enjoy as I should have a 5 man squad by then!

How do you determine where to place highlights? And do you have any tips on making the eyes less "flat"?

Again any ideas for a vehicle scheme would be welcomed.

Damn, I came across the perfect eye Tutorial minutes ago. Can't find it now. Sorry. I'll keep trying to dig it up. In the mean time, I've found a substitute, although it's not as simple, nor as effective.

Eyes;

Click

Highlights;

Click

Looking forward to seeing the Red.

Thanks for the tuts I will try and use them on the 4 I am doing now.

I have put the first thin coat on 3 and tried something different on the 4th(as suggested in another thread :P). A mixed up was for the base coat (over 2 coats of Skull White) and then heavy drybrush of turquoise. I have put the first coat of drybrush on and will be putting the second on tomorrow. It looks quite good so far. What colour would you recommend drybrushing on next for highlights?

Another problem I am having is that when using multiple thin layers it appears to look very patchy because each layer hasn't offered full coverage. Is there anyway around this?

Will post WIP picks at the end of tomorrow so you can see how it is going!

Good to see some pics..

Okay, if your going to do washes you need to remember to remove mold lines. I'm refurbishing some of my first marines and I'm having to go over all of them and remove them, it's a pain when their put together.

I would leave the head off of the model and either paint on the sprue or glue them to a sprue and then base coat (white flat spray paint) them. I think a bone color as the base color and then a true white would look good as an extreme highlight.

The bodies....I'd leave off the bolters when you put them together (easier to paint the plastron) and base coat with a flat black spray. Base coat with the Turqoise Blue. I don't think the blue/green washes are doing the job. I'd stick with the blue or the black wash. Then a heavy drybrush of Turqoise Blue and then an extreme highlight of Ice blue.

See above for Highlights; spot on advice from Brother of the T...

However, nevertheless, we want WiP Pictures! Then we can assess how it's going, and if we need to suggest any changes. Although I'm sure you're coping fine!

On the Subject of Mold Lines; I despised them. Every last god-sodden inch of them! However, I've found a way of neatly removing them, without Over-Doing it.

- Assemble the Model as Normal. Don't take off the Mold Lines yet!

- Now, you Under Coat. I use Cidatel Skull White Spray Primer for this, as it speeds things up, especially with Batch Painting.

- Now, you take off the Mold Lines, by gently rubbing a file across them - I use a Triangular, because I can grip it best - and gradually, very slowly, apply more and more pressure, until you see a Grey Line forming - that's underneath the Paint, so it means the Mold Line is gone! :D

I'd recommend you give it a bash, it works great! Tells me exactly when to stop Filing, or when to keep going! Then, just in case, Touch-Up said Grey Lines with Skull White from the Pot.

Hope that helps,

Tell me how you get on if you try!

Also, WiP Pics!!!

Tropicana

:tu:

Hi

Thanks for the advice. Here is a WIP image using the technique I think I am going to use:

Hand Brushed Skull White undercoat(Don't have anywhere to spray)

Green/Blue wash base coat

3 Layers of turquiose drybrush.

I am going to try this one with the bone coloured helmet as you have suggested (I take it you meant instead of the Silver?) I would then use the silver as the sergeant colour helmet as I feel red for sergeant wouldn't match.

Please feel comment on how you think I can improve these marines as I want them to be the best! Not knowing anyone locally is a real hindrance as it would be easier to just be shown the techniques etc!

(Sorry the pics aren't too good today the wife isn't here to take them!)

Thanks for all your advice so far.

gallery_55098_4967_100610.png

I would leave the head off of the model and either paint on the sprue or glue them to a sprue and then base coat (white flat spray paint) them. I think a bone color as the base color and then a true white would look good as an extreme highlight.

The bodies....I'd leave off the bolters when you put them together (easier to paint the plastron) and base coat with a flat black spray. Base coat with the Turqoise Blue. I don't think the blue/green washes are doing the job. I'd stick with the blue or the black wash. Then a heavy drybrush of Turqoise Blue and then an extreme highlight of Ice blue.

Hi

I can't seem to get a decent coverage/look using the Bleached Bone as the base coat. It just doesn't look right. Can you offer any help on how best to paint it on?

I started the Bolters last night too replacing the Warlock Pink with Red. Starting with Mechrite Red then a drybrush of scab red followed by blood red highlights. Not having done highlights before I am not sure how it is going to turn out but time will tell.

How is the best way to secure the shoulder pads whilst painting? I have them off the sprue but find them fiddly to hold and paint. Just wondered if you had some magical restraining technique for them?

Thanks

How is the best way to secure the shoulder pads whilst painting? I have them off the sprue but find them fiddly to hold and paint. Just wondered if you had some magical restraining technique for them?

I usually glue them on a toothpick.

Hi

I can't seem to get a decent coverage/look using the Bleached Bone as the base coat. It just doesn't look right. Can you offer any help on how best to paint it on?

I'm not quite sure why the Bleached bone isn't covering over a white primer.

I'm heading down to my LGS for a game and while I'm there I'll pick up a Turqoise Blue. I'll try your color scheme and take pics along the way and see if we can get a color your looking for.

That would be ace.

Maybe I am just not using the right consistency for the BB? I am not a very good painter so that probably has a lot to do with it!

Does it need to be watered down much or just a little?

Also I seem to be having some trouble with drybrushing. Are there any good tuts for this as on flat pieces like the helmet for example I don't seem to get it right I either have too much paint on the brush or not enough!

Thanks for the advice. I am hoping to do some more work on them this evening, work has been crazy last couple of days, really want to get my first 5 finished and standing together!

I sent you one back but not sure if it went as there is nothing in my sent items.(Also couldn't find a reply button on the original message either).

Just read it. It looks like it should help a lot. I will give it a go tonight and over the weekend. I have to undercoat by hand as I live in a flat and don't have anywhere that I can spray undercoat things :rolleyes:

And as my other models are kind of half finished I feel the need to press on and finish then in their current form, but first I will brush undercoat another 5 with chaos black.

Will post WIP pics as I get to each stage just to show you how it is going.

Upate:

Right well thanks to Brother of the Temple I now have a method for painting these.

Here are some WIP shots. I am doing just 5 to begin with as If it still doesn't look right then I may have to abandon it until a later date!

First up the undercoat shot(I know there are 10 their but that is just in case it does come out well!)

gallery_55098_4967_76276.png

Next we have the 5 marines together after the first coat of Hawk Turqoise

gallery_55098_4967_5539.png

And finally a close up of just 1 of them

gallery_55098_4967_20309.png

The colour looks a lot lighter than the pics you sent in your PM BotT maybe my paint is going off?

Anyway I am about to start the next stage (The blue wash) so expect some more updates soon!

Glad the colour looks right.

I do thin them down but find it har to get the balance between thick and too thin to coat!

What I find is that I leave water on the brush and dip into the lid, then find it's a little thin so don't bother wetting the brush before dipping it again and then forget to dip the brush at all. Is there a good way to thin the paints down without having to continually dip my brush into my water pot?

Thanks

Glad the colour looks right.

I do thin them down but find it har to get the balance between thick and too thin to coat!

What I find is that I leave water on the brush and dip into the lid, then find it's a little thin so don't bother wetting the brush before dipping it again and then forget to dip the brush at all. Is there a good way to thin the paints down without having to continually dip my brush into my water pot?

Thanks

Most people would use a palette of a sort to get their paints thin. Put the paint on a flat surface, then add water from the brush until its a bit more watery. I've done it another way which is to dip the brush into the paint, then into the water; waters the paint down during application but does need to be mixed together properly.

More WIP Shots.

I have completed Stage 2 the Asurmen Blue Wash.

Here are some pics. Also thanks for the info. I now have some palettes and will be using these in future for thinning down my paint.

Wont have any more updates on these 5 today but hope to move onto the next stage tomorrow and also start work on the arms,head and bolters.

Enjoy.

Group shot after wash:

gallery_55098_4967_70789.png

Single close up after wash:

gallery_55098_4967_154658.png

It looks like they are coming along well.

If you haven't painted in a while the techniques just take a little more practice. It looks like your on the right track.

On a side note, have you used decal transfers before? There are some downloads from here that you can use as your squad/company number on the knee. If you go that route I've used some on my Imperial Fists and can give you some tips as how not to screw them up like I did.

On a side note, have you used decal transfers before? There are some downloads from here that you can use as your squad/company number on the knee. If you go that route I've used some on my Imperial Fists and can give you some tips as how not to screw them up like I did.

Hi where are the downloads as I would be very interested in using them for the squad/company stuff and any help you can give would be great!

I am still thinking I might start an Imperial Fists force to sit along side this one as a nice contrast.

I have decided that they will be from the 5th company and so have repainted the shoulder trims to black(as per Codex Astartes), Also repainted the sergeants head red as this looks better than the silver and also painted over the knee numbers as they looked a bit naf!

Hope to have pics of my first 5 tonight to upload.

Nice improvements, I'm really loving that blue, do you have a mixing recipe?

Are you going to keep the helmets white I really like that contrast that you've got going with the white and blue.

Reminds me of Iron snakes back when they were green and not metal. :P

The blue is thanks to Brother of the Temple. It is a base coat of black, coat of Hawk Turquoise followed by a wash of Asurmen Blue.

I do plan to keep the marines helmets a boney off white colour as I feel a complete white one would go against the codex and maybe make them all look like veterans.

Glad you like them, more pics of updates later and I will also post a couple of pics of my first completed 5 man squad.

Thanks

The decals are here.

The company/squad markings are down on the first page. If you read this thread there are a lot of hints and tricks on using the decals, but I'm more than happy to help.

On this thread, you can see I painted the squad number on the knees of my assault squad of IF's, and lower on the page you can see the decals on the knees and shoulder pads of the squad number. My free hand isn't the best and after finding the decals I figured it would be easier and cleaner to use them.

Hi

Here is an update. The first 5 man Tac Squad is now complete. I have made them of the 5th Company. Still need to add the decals,bases etc but that can wait.

These were started before I got the Stage by Stage so the next batch "should" look better!

Will hopefully be doing more work on the next 5 this week when I get chance. They already look better!

As always C & C are welcome.

Side shot of the 5 man squad

gallery_55098_4967_229598.png

Marine front shot

gallery_55098_4967_175805.png

Marine side shot

gallery_55098_4967_157085.png

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

It's been a couple of weeks since I did an update on these.

I have finished my 10 man Tactical Squad, which look much better than the first 5 man squad. I still need to Base them and do the Decals. I have designed my Chapter Badge now and will be ordering Decal paper for that as I am not good enough at freehand. As for the basing I want to do them all together as I have not yet decided on the theme for the basing.

These were done using the technique suggested by Brother of the Temple. I can't thank him enough as I think they look really good.

A couple of things the High res photos have shown me is:

- Take more time to remove mould Lines

- Drill out the barrels

- Take a little more care when painting the hands

I will now be moving onto my 5 Man scout Squad and 5 Man assault squad.

The photos were taken using a Nikon D90 with a Sigma 105mm Macro Lens and in built Flash.

Here are photos of the sergeant, 3 man shot and a group shot. C&C welcome as always.

Sergeant Left View

gallery_55098_5058_222313.png

Sergeant Right View

gallery_55098_5058_277163.png

Sergeant Front View

gallery_55098_5058_181399.png

3 Man View (I like the off White/Bone effect Helmets!)

gallery_55098_5058_147759.png

10 Man View

http://www.flickr.com/photos/51004121@N06/...57624378503860/

Hope you like them. High Res version of the above images can be found on my Flikr page - http://www.flickr.com/photos/bobbyshone

On a side note. What is the image limit for a Thread as this is a WIP Thread I would like to put more images up but would like to know the limit so I can decide what to upload when.

Archived