Turboboosting Scouts

Hey all, had a question arise in a game I was watching the other day. An Ork player turboboosted his Deffkopters during the Scout phase, and then went on to claim a 3+ cover save in his opponents following shooting phase. I searched, but couldn't find anything on this. I'm curious to see what the player out there feel about this.

As an aside, this same Ork player then went on to argue that while bikes and jet bikes could do it, Skimmers moving "Flat Out" in a scout move wouldn't receive their 4+ cover save.

So brothers, is it legit to turbo-boost / move flat out in a Scout move and then claim the cover save in the following turn? (i.e. once the game has officially begun).

Thoughts/comments/arguments appreciated!

Also, apologize if this has been brought up before....

Pretty sure the cover save gained from turbo-boosting works for "the opponent's following turn/Shooting phase" and makes no mention of whether you just made a move during your own Movement phase or a Scout move. So in both cases the bikes and the skimmers would get their cover saves (from turbo-boosting and moving flat out respectively).

thade is right on the turboboosting, it says you get a cover save for the opponents next shooting phase. It leads to an interesting situation where if you turboboost in the scout move, and go first and make a regular move, you could be :cuss and claim you still get a cover save in the bottom of the first.

As for the skimmer bit, skimmer scout moves say that they work like a move in the movemment phase, and in the shooting phase the skimmer gets a cover save if it moved far in its last movement phase. Now, to be fair, some claim that a movement done the same as in the movement phase does not count as a movement phase move for the shooting. I disagree on both principal and rules (it does say the move is done the same as in the movement phase), but I understand their point of view.

although their are differing opinions by pure RAW turbo-boosting in scout move gets cover save however skimmers do not.. this is purely due to the wording of the rule.

the awkward wording also allows skimmers to be auto hit in cc in turn one.

hmm interesting, thanks for the replies. I also play AirCav guard, which is why i brought up the skimmer bit.

The one thing I argued with the guy about was that to use TB it must occur in your Movement Phase, just like moving flat out, and since a Scout move ins't in a movement phase, it didn't benefit from the rule. Anyway more opinions welcome! I'd really like to get to the bottom of this issue.

hmm interesting, thanks for the replies. I also play AirCav guard, which is why i brought up the skimmer bit.

The one thing I argued with the guy about was that to use TB it must occur in your Movement Phase, just like moving flat out, and since a Scout move ins't in a movement phase, it didn't benefit from the rule. Anyway more opinions welcome! I'd really like to get to the bottom of this issue.

Well a scout move is a additional move before the first turn, so it counts as a movement phase.

This is allowed BRB FAQ

"Q. Can bikes Turbo Boost during their Scout

move?

A. Yes they now can, but remember that they

have to remain more than 12” away from the

enemy as they move."

Unless you are playing Dark Angels as our Codex disallows Turbo Boosting in the Scout move.

It leads to an interesting situation where if you turboboost in the scout move, and go first and make a regular move, you could be :cuss and claim you still get a cover save in the bottom of the first.
Doesn't matter whether you're :cuss or not, following the rules you'd be right in claiming a cover save.

Also, fast scout skimmer do not get the same cover save. "A skimmer that...has moved flat out in its last Movement phase counts as obscured (cover save of 4+)..." Having not moved fast in any movement phase, they don't get the save.

This is allowed BRB FAQ

"Q. Can bikes Turbo Boost during their Scout

move?

A. Yes they now can, but remember that they

have to remain more than 12” away from the

enemy as they move."

Unless you are playing Dark Angels as our Codex disallows Turbo Boosting in the Scout move.

Oh awesome thanks! I sort of feel like a...jerk now for debating with him on the rules for bokes and TBing.

As for Skimmers, if they consider TB as a Scout move equivalent to a movement phase (based on the FAQ, as well as the definition of "Scout" - this is done exactly as in your movement phase, surely it is legit to argue that moving flat out in a Scout therefore meets the requirement of having moved in a "movement phase".

The way I see it, both require movement in a movement phase, both grant a cover save in the following (opponents) shooting phase, the only difference is how it's worded. One talks about moving in your current Movement Phase (or in this case Scout move), the other talks about moving in a previous moving phase (again as a Scout move). It seems that both would grant cover saves, and while it would make certain units more powerful (armies with scout bikes, deffkoptas, Valks/Vends), I don't see it making any of those armies game breaking.

More thoughts and discussion appreciated!

This got me thinking though, could a baal predator pop its smokes during its scout move as the rule states it ... is done exactly as in their movement phase ... ?

This got me thinking though, could a baal predator pop its smokes during its scout move as the rule states it ... is done exactly as in their movement phase ... ?

Remember that is is only a cover save. A heavy flamer will ruin those scouts day regardless of if they turbo boosted.

So it's not that game breaking ;)

Or a Dark Reaper Exarch. S4 AP4 blasts with rerolls to wound and ignores cover is NOT good for scouts to face.

Archived