Captain VS Chapter Master

ImperialReaper

A little OT, but if the AGL behaved like an Astartes Grenade Launcher, it might be worth the points on HG. Or better than that, just make it 5pts instead. I just can't personally agree with paying 50pts per model!

You mean start him outside the transport? Yeah, that works too, and it's only very slightly risky. In fact, I think you'd prefer to do that anyway since e.g. he wouldn't be able to shoot out of a rhino if your opponent stunned it on his turn 1.

Yeah that was what I meant. Just read my earlier posts, dang but I was unclear on them wasn't I! :)

He is saying the break even point is 75 points because the OB will only hit 1/3 of the time, so you need to kill 75 points when you get that hit to make the OB worthwhile over three games. As was mentioned that's not totally accurate since you will also scatter into things.

Oh right. Well I think that is rubbish (no offences)! Like I said before, if it gives you an advantage it doesn't matter whether it kills it's points back. As an example, if the shot hits a Tau Hammer Head and destroys the Rail gun then it hasn't killed anything but that is an important asset removed from the opponent. Likewise, the opposing Vulture with Veterans or Falcon with Harlequins get's imbolised and that is awesome as it takes away their cheif strength.

It's relative. 40K should not be viewed purely on what you can kill in comparison to the opponent.

He is saying the break even point is 75 points because the OB will only hit 1/3 of the time, so you need to kill 75 points when you get that hit to make the OB worthwhile over three games. As was mentioned that's not totally accurate since you will also scatter into things.

Oh right. Well I think that is rubbish (no offences)! Like I said before, if it gives you an advantage it doesn't matter whether it kills it's points back. As an example, if the shot hits a Tau Hammer Head and destroys the Rail gun then it hasn't killed anything but that is an important asset removed from the opponent. Likewise, the opposing Vulture with Veterans or Falcon with Harlequins get's imbolised and that is awesome as it takes away their cheif strength.

It's relative. 40K should not be viewed purely on what you can kill in comparison to the opponent.

i really hate these "makes my points back arguments", it has little bearing on what wins games.. i have no qualms with sacrificing units in order to shut down my opponents game plans early on (see LSS alpha strikes).

Orbital bombradment may be unreliable but every now and then it will be a peach and slaughter that unit of nob bikers or some such pain in the butt.

its a 25 point lottery, its like putting a powerfist on a tac sergeant.

i really hate these "makes my points back arguments", it has little bearing on what wins games..

I strongly agree with that! The way I play LSS/Scout I lose points more often than not, but I take out an important transport carrying an expensive unit, or a tie up a heavy weapons squad for two turns, etc.

Although, I still don't think the Master's bombardment is worth the 25-points.

Actually, moreso, I don't think the Master's bombardment is worth keeping your HG stationary for a turn. That's not something we can really theoryhammer though. I'd need to see it on the table.

Keeping your units statioanry is a hard thing to ask, however it would also depend on first turn etc..

if you had a few rhinos with tac squads in and a raider with master and HG, you could keep everything stationary and fire your MLs and OB to take down those things which are a threat to your raider.. things like meltaguns are going to be too far away to hurt you so its doable..

Its all theory though as its not my normal playstyle or lists, but its somehting i want to try out.

edit: if your also playing a horde/cc army, it makes it easier to remain stationary, plus the OB can be very handy!

Archived