Why can't Mephiston join a unit?

Tanhausen

Hi all,

I've been reading the BRB about the IC rules... and can't find why Mephiston can't join a unit and Belial (to put an example) can.

Thanks for the help

PD. If this question has already been answered (didn't find it...), please just drop me the link and close the topic. Thanks

Mephiston doesn't have the Independant Character special rule. Therefore he is simply a unit in his own right and cannot join another unit.

An IC can join Mephiston, but not the other way round.

incorrect. ICs can not join units that are always one model (like Mephiston or the Sanguinor).

@pingo: thanks, perfect answer.

@JamesI: don't have the rules now... does it say that IC can't join one-man-units? The other day had a bit of an argument with a BA (I'm DA-DW)... just want to be sure for next time

incorrect. ICs can not join units that are always one model (like Mephiston or the Sanguinor).

Did not know that! Seems like a weird rule though.

@pingo: thanks, perfect answer.

@JamesI: don't have the rules now... does it say that IC can't join one-man-units? The other day had a bit of an argument with a BA (I'm DA-DW)... just want to be sure for next time

Its in the IC rules. ICs can not join units that are always 1 model (but for some reason ICs can join other ICs as that is specifically allowed)

Again, thanks to both of you for such a fast reply.

It certainly is wierd the IC-IC attaching... but I guess that is another issue.

Close the post if you want, I think the issue has been 100%+ solved!

This got me reading this morning...what constitutes a unit that always consists of one model? Mephiston, certainly. Consider, though, the BA codex Techmarine. He can (but need not) take servitors as a part of his unit. (Note that he is not an IC and cannot otherwise join units on his own.)

Can ICs join this lone techmarine?

Either he (for the purposes of a single game) consists of one model as he hasn't taken any servitors, or (for "always") he does not always consist of a single model as he has the option to take servitors. In the latter case, an IC can join him. In the former case, not.

I'd say that the TM is not a one man unit... because you can upgrade the unit (whether you do so or not is your choice) with more miniatures.

That would like LS squadrons...1 model is still a unit, but you can upgrade it.

Now for a fluffy one... could Sammael in his LS attach himself to a LS Squadron (even if its only Sammy + 1 LS)? I'd say yes... because its not a one man unit.

Now for a fluffy one... could Sammael in his LS attach himself to a LS Squadron (even if its only Sammy + 1 LS)? I'd say yes... because its not a one man unit.

Fluff wise, sure. Rules wise no. Sammael is not an Ic.

When it says untis that are always a single model it means just that, not units that are currently a single model, a lone techmarine is fine as he is not always a single model, the only real exceptions are vehicle squadrens as they are specificly disalowed. As of 5th Carnifex can also be joined, which excepting Hive tyrant/tyrant guard special rules are the only MC with that distinction.

In terms of WHY GW did this to Mephiston, and Sammael, I was told that it prevents what are already powerful models being able to bury themselves in a squad for wound absorption etc. With all Meph's stats, having to kill 10 marines before you even get to him would be too unfair.

In Sammael's case remember he can be taken with a Jetbike or a Land Speeder.

They didn't want the problems of a vehicle (land speeder) joining units.

He's not that Uber in CC and fluff-wise ( and game -wise) having him join a squad of Ravenwing bikes would be great.

He can offer some excellent fire support but has a talent of killing himself with the plasma cannon.

Archived