Different models, different speeds, same unit.

thade

I think this is cut and dry, but fastest way to find out is to subject it to analysis here.

BA codex, Techmarine entry. The techmarine can take a Jump Pack and servitors (up to five). BRB, p11, "All of the models in a unit move at the speed of the slowest model."

Rote-reading of this suggests that, so long as at least one servitor lives, the techmarine can ignore his jump pack (he's moving at 6"). Then I got to wondering what "speed" meant (forgive me for nit-picking) and whether it would be legal for the techmarine to move 12" so long as he was still in coherency.

I do this all the time with my Jump Pack ICs when they join with foot-slogging units...but they could be technically leaving-and-rejoining that unit (making it legal for them to use their JPs); the techmarine isn't an IC at all, let alone with regard tot he servitors that are a part of his unit. Color me confused. Thoughts?

If the technomarine is not an IC... how can he leave the unit with servitors? Or join one, for the case...

The techmarine cannot leave the unit, nor join another one. That may be the crux behind this.

My question is, literally, does the techmarine moving at 12" break the "speed of the unit" if he maintains coherency? The unit in question is his pack of servitors.

Personally, as Tanhausen says, I would see it as rules bending rather than breaking.

In a friendly game however, moving the unit 6" forward with the techmarine moving more than 6" to go from the back to the front of the unit, or some such (which is the sort of thing I gathered you are meaning), isn't something I'd complain about really. Certainly not when the techmarine isn't an independant character anyway, and so the only benefit would be to be able to shoot his flamer or something. If it was a unit with an independant character, who would then be charging and it could make the difference between him fighting or not, then it might be more of an issue, but generally I don't reckon it matters much.

IC or no, on pg11 of the BRB "All models in the unit move at the speed of the slowest model" This means that if the servitors can only move 6" per movement phase then so can anything else that is attached/joined to it. The "speed" of the unit is it's movement distance in inches. IC's can't accomplish this either as if they move 12" how will they maintain coherency with something that can only move 6"? If the unit is so spread out that this is possible then the IC never actually left the unit and therefore cannot more faster than 6"

It is not a matter of coherency, he is limited to the 6" of the slowest models. On a side note you should not just forget about his jump pack as you can still use to hurdle dangerous terain, ther servitors will be out of luck but no reason to take any extra saves you dont need to.

On a side note you should not just forget about his jump pack as you can still use to hurdle dangerous terain, ther servitors will be out of luck but no reason to take any extra saves you dont need to.

Provided he remains in coherency I guess.

On a side note you should not just forget about his jump pack as you can still use to hurdle dangerous terain, ther servitors will be out of luck but no reason to take any extra saves you dont need to.

Provided he remains in coherency I guess.

of course, i was just saying that even if he doesnt make the 12" move (which he cant because he can only move 6" when attached") he can still use the other benifits of jump infantry. Essentialy he is not forced to walk.

I get it, Frosty. He can move 6" and no further (per BRB) but those 6" can be with the Jump Pack...so he can - as you say - hurdle dangerous or impassible terrain within that otherwise restricted move.

Archived