Dawn of War and combat squads

Jerre

In my blood angels army I have a 10man tactical squad in a rhino. One of the other players in my FLGS told me that when I deploy in dawn of war, Both the tactical squad and the rhino count as a troops choice for deployment. In addition if I combat squad the unit, that this would be three units and thus not possible. Can someone confirm this?

In my blood angels army I have a 10man tactical squad in a rhino. One of the other players in my FLGS told me that when I deploy in dawn of war, Both the tactical squad and the rhino count as a troops choice for deployment. In addition if I combat squad the unit, that this would be three units and thus not possible. Can someone confirm this?

yes

Can I only deploy a 5 marine combat squad and keep the other 5 in their rhino off the board?

no. The reasoning is that you can only combat squad when you 'deploy'. You can only deploy when you put a unit on the board (during deployment or after successfully rolling a passed reserve roll). Either you combat squad them by putting them on the table during deployment, or you put the whole squad in reserve and then combat squad them when deploying after their successful reserve roll.

no. The reasoning is that you can only combat squad when you 'deploy'. You can only deploy when you put a unit on the board (during deployment or after successfully rolling a passed reserve roll). Either you combat squad them by putting them on the table during deployment, or you put the whole squad in reserve and then combat squad them when deploying after their successful reserve roll.

just a question since i have my codex at home and was discussing with a friend.

if i keep 10terminator in reserve ready for deepstrike, can i combact squad? how? do i have to do 2 different deep strike or only one and than consider therm as 2 different squads?

Units are not divided into combat squads untill they are deployed, so you would roll one single reserve roll for the whole 10 man Terminator unit. When they are deployed and you decide to divide them into combat squads they can be deployed in different locations, so both combat squads could land at a different location and would roll separately for deep strike scatter.

Ok. Last option I can think off: Can I combat squad my tactical marines and keep the dedicated rhino off the board?

Yes, the rhino can be left in reserve and you cn combat squad the tactical. It does mean that when it rolls onto the board, it will be empty, as only the dedicated squad can start inside it.

But I could leave one combat squad near the table edge and have them embark when the rhino comes onto the board? Having moved on the table, the Rhino will propably not be able to move after the combat squad embarks. So I should deploy the combat squad passengers at the max movement distance of the Rhino so the transport can move next to them and then they can embark. Correct?

But I could leave one combat squad near the table edge and have them embark when the rhino comes onto the board? Having moved on the table, the Rhino will propably not be able to move after the combat squad embarks. So I should deploy the combat squad passengers at the max movement distance of the Rhino so the transport can move next to them and then they can embark. Correct?

Indeed, all perfictly acceptable tactics.

Gonna jump in and cause a ruckus here quick.

BA DEX - pg23

"The decision to split the unit into combat squads as well as which models go into each combat suad must be made when the unit is deployed..."

Rulebook Pg94

"When deploying their army, players may choose not to deploy one or more of the units in their army.."

To me there is no conflict here.

I choose to split up when I deploy, and then choose to not deploy one or more of the units (which may include one of the combat squads that ive chosen to split up during my deployment of the unit.

Thoughts?

Its the grey zone created by a lack of linguisti precision. While I wouldnt be upset to play it that way Ive yet to see or hear of a group who did so, and GWs tournaments seem to say otherwise.

One deploys a unit when placing it on the table.

In the Deployment phase one can deploy units or place them in reserve (not deploying them)

Units coming in from reserves are deployed at that time.

BRB pg. 94 Rolling for reserves "...the player picks any one of the units arriving and deploys it."

So you would make one reserve roll for the Tac Squad and could then combat squad it coming in from reserves, but not Combat Squad it by putting in in reserves

BA DEX - pg23

"The decision to split the unit into combat squads as well as which models go into each combat suad must be made when the unit is deployed..."

Rulebook Pg94

"When deploying their army, players may choose not to deploy one or more of the units in their army.."

To me there is no conflict here.

I choose to split up when I deploy, and then choose to not deploy one or more of the units (which may include one of the combat squads that ive chosen to split up during my deployment of the unit.

Ok, so why would you think you can "NOT deploy a unit" but still do the action the unit can do when it is deployed?

- When the unit is deployed, it can be split into combat squads

- You can chose NOT to deploy the unit at the start of the game (it is then deployed later, when it enters the game)

I do not see a grey area there. If the unit is not deployed at the start but instead later, it can not perform the action it can do when it is deployed untill that later point.

Archived