Exteneded Land Raider Super Heavy

Nice fire magnet. I say fire magnet cause I know if I were facing an army with that thing in it's ranks, it would be my first target. Hit it! Hit it again! Hit it again until it ain't there no more and then hit what's left until that's not there any more!

well i'd much rather they fired at this instead of my shadowsword or brass scoprion, as it can take a lot more fire power and lacks the amazing main gun of most baneblade variants.

Important to note is that it has 5 havoc missile launchers not standard missile launchers and these are pretty much good for light infantry and little else... I adopted the strategy of if theres a hole put a weapon there.

It comes out at 8mm wider than a baeblade and 12mm shorter excluding sponsons and weapon barrels, which i think makes it a rather appropriate size unlike the behemoth 4 land raider conversion superheavies i've seen pictures of.

man that is jaw-droopingly awesome

i'm almost tempted to ask you to commission one for me :D

seriously though, amazing work.

got a datasheet for it?

painting up for a spearhead game in store as I type.

I made it from 2 Land Raider kits plus the sponsons from a third, and some left over defiler parts from my brass scorpion build.

It was surprisingly easy to make and as long as you adhere to the golden rule of "measure twice, cut once" and slice just infront of the joining rods behind the front hatch it comes together almost by itself.

The Games Workshop saw is a more than admirable tool for the task.

I have seen the 4 Land Raider conversions created by others but I was looking for a Baneblade size Superheavy and 4 Landraiders goes more into titan size superheavies.

As to the impressive weapon load out; remember that it has no main cannon and as such is at a considerable disadvantage.

I will be fielding it at

14,14,14 armour

4 Structure points

22 Transport capacity (no vehicles)

6 Twin-Linked Lascannons

2 Twin-Linked Autocannons

2 Twin-Linked Heavy Bolters

5 Havoc Missile Launchers

1 Battle Cannon

700 Points

The cost may seem a little low but considering the cost of titan weapons and the lack of any such on this vehicle Myself and the manager at my local store feel it appropriate.....depending on what happens in this weeks spearhead

As to the impressive weapon load out; remember that it has no main cannon and as such is at a considerable disadvantage.

Did you REALLY just say that?!

and then you said:

I will be fielding it at

14,14,14 armour

4 Structure points

22 Transport capacity (no vehicles)

6 Twin-Linked Lascannons

2 Twin-Linked Autocannons

2 Twin-Linked Heavy Bolters

5 Havoc Missile Launchers

1 Battle Cannon

What's it at a disadvantage to?

That does look awesome. There is rather too much guns on it for my liking (aestetically that is!) as to me it looks like youve just stuck guns literally wherever they can fit, and I prefer a bit more "realistic" (as far as sci-fi can be anyway.) But other than that it looks awesome, and I'm really tempted to do something similar for loyalist Space Marines, based off of that! Are you going to do a tutorial article or how-to for it?

i just assumed the battlecannon was it's main gun. it seems to be, with the placement of it.

and you should really give it demonic possession too as a special rule, i mean it does have a defiler body sticking out of it

The only thing I'm not sure about rules wise is the transport capacity. In terms of fluff all those guns would need a lot of ammo/generators and whilst it's double the size of a land raider I'm not sure if 22 people would fit inside. It's an awesome looking model though, even if only 2 pairs of lascannons can fire forwards :D

its actually more like 2.5 times the size of a landraider.

and at almost exactly baneblade size shassywise i compared it to the StormLord's 30 transport capacity which includes space for a warhound titan class weapon?(vulcan bolter)

I then assumed its chassy size transport capacity sans weapons as 30 due to its similar size and the fact that space marine STC tanks are of superior technology to Imperial Guard Banblade varients

consider also that on all vehicles for chaos the havocmissile launcher is much like the hunterkiller launcher and carries all its amunition for the battle in its barrels taking up ZERO internal space on the tank.

The battlecannon can also be seen to be contained in the defiler turret....and yes i forgot to mention demonic possession

as to the 2 Tin-Linked Autocannons on the top of the hull I reduced it's carriage capicty by 4 for each of them accordingly with the reduction in transport capacity between a rhino and a razorback

So 30 - 8 for the 2 reapers brings us to 22. Okay so it has according to my tranposrt capacity calculations 2 too many Twin-Linked Lascannons...SO sue me when I see a Hole I put a Weapon there THATS how Apocalypse works!!!!

Also for 700 points in apocalypse are the Tower of Skulls and Plague Tower.

As to a how to guide for its creation I'm afraid my digital camera was down at the time of construction so I doubt how much help i can be there however I'll see about posting some picks of a whole landraider side chassy pice with a photoshopped line to show ehere to cut for the best joint.

Also consider that this requires parts from 3Land Raider kits and 2 Defiler Kits and 6 of the smaller Chaos Tank sprues of which the box sets will provide only 3..... so be prepared for monumental cost unless you have an extensive bits box for chaos. Imperial wise it will be much cheaper especially if you decide to field it with totally differnet Hull armaments for example a pair of Helios pattern whirlwind missile launchers.

Oh and you'll need a pair of predator turret hatches from the rhino kit to fill in the gaps on top of the hull.

In some ways I think it might look better sans defiler turret and spikes with a more minimalist urganomical look of the loyalists....but then its good to be bad.

As to the Lascannons firing forwards....well Its a superheavy and I may coin the variant name as the Land Raider Trident as it essentially charges down the middle and annihilates infantry and light vehicles infront of it while scything through tanks to the left and right in a 3 pronged fire assault...followed by unloading its troops; Hence Trident.

Anyway this post keeps getting longer and longer so I'm gonna stop and get back to painting the Duke of Malice...hmmm I should write that on it somewhere!

It's very Chaos-y. You know there would be some warmaster-hopeful that would have somthing like that as a flagship(flagtank?). All in all I think that it is a pretty cool project that speaks to the "machine of absolute death" want in all chaos players. Mine, personally was a silver tower :P .....but that is beside the point.

Archived