DW Mortis Dreads

pueriexdeus

Am fielding three Mortis Dreads in an upcoming Apoc 1st CO DW/Sallies vs. Orks, game.

I currently have 2X TLAC and 1x TLHB Mortis. Am considering going three of one or the other. Considering the TLHB it'll be 18 possible shots per turn as opposed to the 12 from the TLAC. S5 vs S7, Ap remains the same.

So what are your thoughts, am also fielding 4x TLLC/ML Dreads & 3x MM Dreads for the heavier AV's.

18 S5 vs. 12 S7

By pure math, if all shots hit, you'll do 10 wounds to a T4 target with the TLAC, and 12 with the TLHB.

OK, going with mathhammer it probably would be better to go w/3x TLAC's. The higher S versatility offsets the potential 2 more wounds?

I have yet to find a really good reason to include Heavy Bolters in any list when I can replace them for Autocannons and/or Missile Launchers for little to no increase in points.

The HB is more of a IG weapon in my mind, it just doesn't offer that much more compared to our basic Bolter.

Am fielding three Mortis Dreads in an upcoming Apoc 1st CO DW/Sallies vs. Orks, game.

I currently have 2X TLAC and 1x TLHB Mortis. Am considering going three of one or the other. Considering the TLHB it'll be 18 possible shots per turn as opposed to the 12 from the TLAC. S5 vs S7, Ap remains the same.

So what are your thoughts, am also fielding 4x TLLC/ML Dreads & 3x MM Dreads for the heavier AV's.

18 S5 vs. 12 S7

S5 isnt as flexable as S7, Id go with the Autocannons every time.

Edit: And apparently you agree, oops.

I have used TLAC Dreads in several games, I found them to be fairly reliable at taking out light armour, but against anything which is in cover or has an armour save it just didnt do that well, and against horde army 4 shots a round is not designed for the troops.

I think the best use I have had is to reliably force saves onto MCs as 3's to wound can make the diff...

My latest technique in my army is template spam. To this end, I pack in a Plascan/ML dread. Im effectively swapping extra AC shots for a s8 shot when it comes to vehicle popping, but it comes with an AP2 template weapon which I have used to effectively splat all sorts - mainly MEQs. It costs the same as the TLAC - has its own strengths and weaknesses, but is worth considering IMO <_<

I don't think Mortis Dreads could get PlasCans...... :P

ACs all the way!

Against T4:

6 TLHBs = 12 wounds

6 TLACs = 10 wounds

Score: TLHB : 1 - TLAC : 0

Against T5:

6 TLHBs = 9 wounds

6 TLACs = 10 wounds

Score: TLHB : 1 - TLAC : 1

Against AV10:

6 TLHBs = 3 glance, 3 pen

6 TLACs = 2 glance, 6 pen

Score TLHB : 1 - TLAC : 2

Therefore, AUTOCANNONS ROX!!!!

Fear not the T4 horde though. As a Deathwing player you will have hundreds of Storm Bolters sending scores of greenskins to the sky. And you have Cyclones.

No a Mortis cannot take the PC/ML option. But A Normal/Ven Dread can. Unfortunately this load out seems more oriented to troop/hoard killing. I'm not sure it would be as viable against Squadrons of Truks, Bikes, Def Coptas, etc. Just because of the scatter.

I have yet to find a really good reason to include Heavy Bolters in any list when I can replace them for Autocannons and/or Missile Launchers for little to no increase in points.

The HB is more of a IG weapon in my mind, it just doesn't offer that much more compared to our basic Bolter.

Few IG players take HBs. AC is overall >> HB.

My apologies - got confused on the Dread - certainly explains the HB option ^.^

Given the choices - TLAC - you might get a couple more kills if your lucky with the HBs but range, and pen ability puts the TLAC on top. Save the TLHB for your Razorbacks or something ^.^

Oh, also, maybe not so important here, but in an allcomers list it is more flexible ^.^

Am actually in the TLAC camp now. I've a 4th TLLC/ML Dread, I'm thinking of turning him in to a TLAC Mortis, and dropping the TLHB's for another TLAC load out. That'll give me 4x TLAC Mortis's and 3x TLLC/ML Dreads. I don't think loosing 1 Heavy Dread will matter as I still will have 7x HKM's, 2x Godhammers and 11 other MM's and the Reaver w/TLD on the table. I do expect seeing at least 3x Stompas.

Will keep you posted.

Archived