IC's in Close Combat

stormsson

This came up in a game last night and caused a bit of an argument.

My Librarian charged into combat and got into base to base with one enemy model. Before his initiative came round my opponent removed the model I was in base to base with as a casualty. He then declared that as my Librarian was no longer in base to base he couldn't attack as per the rules under Independent Characters.

However, I argued that as he was "engaged" at the beginning of combat he would still be able to attack and use any special rules as he would still be "engaged" as per the rules under Assault Phase.

So the question is, who's right?

before any attacks are made you decide who is engaged and thus able to attack in that phase. after this has been decide you still get your attacks as long as someone in the unit you were engaged with is alive even if they are not in base contact.

I knew you could do it in earlier editions, hell I did it to stop my opponents powerfists swinging, and I thought it had been changed to stop this happening.

Thanks for all your swift replies.

By the way, it made no difference to the game as the terms my librarian had charged with wiped out the squad anyway lol.

We did, my mates argument was that under the IC rules section it states IC's must be in base to base contact to attack. I read that as IC's must be in base to base to be "engaged".

Youll also note in the assault rules that it states you check to see who is engaged at the begining of combat, before ANY attacks are made.

I still get confused about this. If the librarian was in BTB with a model that's in a squad, then no longer in BtB when his init comes around, he can still swing *at that squad*...but if that squad is wiped and the Librarian is in BtB with no other squad/unit then he can't swing. But he's still locked in Assault. He can consolidate into BtB with something else if the combat persists.

I'm pretty sure that's how it works.

Archived