Black Templars vows

Dan VK

I was posed an interesting, albeit rules litigious, question recently. The wording of the Uphold the Honor of the Emperor vow in the reads "no unit" and "all units" rather than "all/no Black Templars unit(s)." I also can't find anything in the codex that specifically states that vows affect solely Black Templars, except in the specific vows. It was argued that because of this wording the rule affected all units on the table, Black Templar or other.

Personally, I think this is silly but it looks like that's the Rules As Written. Any thoughts/corrections?

I was posed an interesting, albeit rules litigious, question recently. The wording of the Uphold the Honor of the Emperor vow in the reads "no unit" and "all units" rather than "all/no Black Templars unit(s)." I also can't find anything in the codex that specifically states that vows affect solely Black Templars, except in the specific vows. It was argued that because of this wording the rule affected all units on the table, Black Templar or other.

Personally, I think this is silly but it looks like that's the Rules As Written. Any thoughts/corrections?

Core Rulebook FAQ, pg. 3

Am I able to gain the benefits of any of my opponent's wargear or special rules, such as Teleport Homers, Chaos Icons, Tyranid Synapse, Necron Resurrection ORbs etc?

A. In most occaisions this is clear, as the rules sue the words "friendly' or 'own' to indicate your units, and 'enemy' for the opponent's. ..... As a general principle, we recommend that you cannot use or gain the benefits from any of the wargear or special rules of your opponent's army, unless specificly stated in the rule itself ('friend or foe') or in an official FAQ.

So, I would say no, on RAW and moral levels.

no, i thik its in the BRB FAQ where they state that a players wargear/rules never influence the other person unless specifically stated.

i know i worded that wrong but you get what i mean, they can't claim any benefits from your rules/wargear....

+EDIT+ heres the question from the FAQ by the way

Q. Am I able to gain the benefits of any of my

opponent’s wargear or special rules, such as

Teleport Homers, Chaos Icons, Tyranid Synapse,

Necron Resurrection Orbs etc?

A. In most occasions this is clear, as the rules use

the words ‘friendly’ or ‘own’ to indicate your

units, and ‘enemy’ for the opponent’s. On the

other hand, some rules clearly specify that they

affect ‘friend and foe’. A few rules are, however,

slightly ambiguous as they don’t clearly specify

this distinction. As a general principle, we

recommend that you cannot use or gain the

benefits from any of the wargear or special rules

of your opponent’s army, unless specifically

stated in the rule itself (‘friend or foe’) or in an

official FAQ

I opposed it on moral grounds as soon as it was posed, but I wasn't sure about it rules-wise. Now I know. Thanks, that's a great bit of information I missed.

BT vows do affect the enemy. Dramatically :P

Wilhelm, stop confusing the kiddies.

And someone... explain to me this drivel about it affecting allies when it doesnt even effect neophytes?

The first part of the rule says that any unit that can charge(ie: hasn't fired rapid fire/heavy weapons or ran) must charge. The key is that it says any unit. This would include allies. The second part of the rule says that in CC Black Templars count as having PE against the enemy. It then specifically excludes Neophytes in from this. Allies would not benefit from the second part of the rule.

Archived