Death Company Army

After 18 years painting only Dark Angels I have decided to add in the other half of the "Angels of Death".

I've always liked the Blood Angels and in particular the Death Company has always fascinated me and with the new codex it is possible to field a fully DC only list. (I know it may not be a match winner but it's the fun I'll have with it that I'm looking for!) So I'm aiming for about 1500pts to start with.

The list (for reference to what is WIP - I don't want to get into an army list discussion here):

Astorath + 5 JP DC

10 DC in rhino (x2)

6 DC in HB Razorback

DC Dread in Drop Pod (x2)

I'm aiming for completing it over the next couple of months and have started with a drop pod for a DC Dread (yet to be painted!). The pod was mostly painted for the DA 3rd company so it was already constructed so it required a re-spray, which I don't think came out too bad.

So without further ado the pictures!

gallery_28554_4987_4001.jpg

gallery_28554_4987_71553.jpg

gallery_28554_4987_46112.jpg

gallery_28554_4987_71538.jpg

gallery_28554_4987_67706.jpg

gallery_28554_4987_5210.jpg

Comments and critique always appreciated!

good start, the chevrons are nice and neat although in the last 2 pics one ramp seems to have brighter yellow chevrons than the other. This may be your camera but you may want to look into that if you are a perfectionist.

The second ramp is darker but only as it hasn't had as many coats of yellow yet.

I'm struggling with chalkiness on the yellow at present. The first ramp is about 20ish very thin coats of sunburst yellow but it got very gritty so I smoothed it off with a fine file and laid up a couple more coats of yellow. It's about as bright as I can go without getting a really crap surface back (and I'm still not happy with it at present).

The second ramp I invested in some Iyanden Darksun and I put two thin coats down first with the sunburst over the top. It's less chalky but not really as birght yet. I'm thinking maybe using a different foundation under it. Some advice from an Imperial Fist player would be appreciated.

I've been mainly painting boltgun metal to everything tonight and will try to get the inner doors finished tomorrow with the chevrons. I'll get the missus camera out tommorrow and get a few update pictures up

I've also got 10 DC armed with chainswords and bolters, plus their Rhino transport ready for painting once the Pod is done.

The blacks will be painted once I've got all the metal and reds painted up. It's a bit flat at the moment as I have only undercoated it.

I've spent the day painting up the majority of the metal today. There is still a fair amount to finish on it, but I feel it's starting to take shape. There is a lot of cleaning up to do but that will be sorted as the black is tackled.

gallery_28554_4987_16915.jpg

I've been away for a few days on holiday with the kids but back now and have managed to squeeze in a bit more work on the pod.

gallery_28554_4987_36919.jpg

gallery_28554_4987_89589.jpg

I still need to add a few more coats to the yellow, hopefully without getting too much chalkiness on the coats. All the red needs basecoating and then the black. Plus numerous little details and things.

I've been a bit sidetracked for the past week of so with a certain football tournament but have started to get the reds laid down on the pod.

As for building the pod, mine has a little problem in so much that only one of the doors shuts properly, the other four line up fine but don't click shut. As the pod will spend most of the time on the table with the doors open I'm not too concerned but will try to get a better fit on the next two pods. It's a good model and I may do one with all the harnesses in for marines.

I'm in two minds over what to do with the outer side of the doors. I don't want to repeat the saltire as this is on the fins so I'm thinking of either the chapter symbol in red or a large number (to signify the pod's number), or possibly a combination of the two.

gallery_28554_4987_316849.jpg

gallery_28554_4987_229874.jpg

Pretty much all the base coating is done so its now just a case of bringing up the details.

I've been working on the DC marines this morning. These have since been cleaned up, bolters drilled out etc and basecoated. Will add more pictures later once I've got some more work done on them.

I've not gone over the top on the DC parts as each marine only has 4-5 DC specific parts on them. This is for two reasons. One is that I can't imagine the DC armour lasting all that long so would in my mind end up as a collection of parts from several suits and marks. Another is I can't justify £20 per 5 marines in a DC army. I'm planning on taking this up to around 2500 points eventually (a DC Stormraven and DC LR Crusader filled to the brim with DC is too be added later!) so 50 odd marines at £4 each is costly.

I think they are turning out ok pose wise. I just wish that there were some left arms holding bolters as to get a left handed bolter mean cutting up several bits!

gallery_28554_4987_72397.jpg

gallery_28554_4987_41756.jpg

gallery_28554_4987_46844.jpg

gallery_28554_4987_6060.jpg

• 2 months later...

I appreciate it has been a while since I posted (Uni, kid's summer holiday, lack of time due to summer bbq's etc) but the pod is getting towards finished (mainly details, cleaning up and the black to do).

Here's a few pictures of where it is at present.

gallery_28554_4987_34532.jpg

gallery_28554_4987_264459.jpg

gallery_28554_4987_281036.jpg

Here's also a little peek at what else I'm working on. The DC squad members are still in need of lots of work but coming along ok I think.

gallery_28554_4987_17363.jpg

gallery_28554_4987_57433.jpg

As always comments and critique are appreciated.

I've started on a TLLC Razorback as something to paint that is related to the army but isn't a Drop Pod. I know it's still copious amounts of black, red and silver still but it is something different to hold and I can't show off my Chaos Knights as it's not board appropriate.

gallery_28554_4987_18969.jpg

gallery_28554_4987_86446.jpg

gallery_28554_4987_39737.jpg

Early days on the Razorback. It still needs a lot of work and the lascannon turret needs to be started. Hopefully the paint scheme ties in well with the drop pod.

Comments as always are appreciated.

Awesome Work. I especially like the Drop Pod. How did you paint the black?

It's Chaos Black spray undercoat and then a few thin coats of chaos black applied with a largish brush (GW's standard one). I'm leaving the highlighting of the black till last as I've a tendancy to get paint from the other details on it so maybe another coat or two once they are all done.

Archived