Black Templar

PH34RB0T

Hey everyone. I've been interested in 40k for quite a while, but never really gotten into it, save for the 2 tactical squads and rhinos I bought a while ago (Now that I think about it, it was like a year and a half ago...). I've been getting myself reacquainted with the game because there's a LGS near where I'm going off to college in the fall, and I've finally gotten around to starting to paint my mini's. So far I only have one done, but I can already tell that I'm a lackluster painter... Oh, well. I'll post pictures of him tomorrow, but be kind. He's my first miniature I've painted, and I'm just using Apple Barrel paints and brushes :unsure:, but for now, any advice to a new painter/enthusiast?

Use a basecoat.

Keep your paints thin but not watery.

Foundation paints and washes are awesome.

Seal your models when you're done.

Drill your barrels.

Base your minis. Small gravel or what have you works great.

Remove mold lines! :)

Be creative.

Just started my first BT army aswell I will post some links that helped me start of :) if you need the paint recipes for all their schemes send me a PM and ile send em over.

Inspiration:

http://forums.relicnews.com/showthread.php...age=1&pp=15

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/index.p...plars&st=50

Tutorial:

http://forums.relicnews.com/showthread.php?t=97359

gallery_42895_4994_626390.jpg

Well, here's the first mini. It doesn't look like it turned out too well, but I don't plan on giving up. It's still pretty WIP seeing as how I still need to flock the base, paint the end of the boltgun, and the body still doesn't look right to me... It seems to flat.

Okay. I tried to highlight it... I'd like to think it's not too bad. Anything else I should do to make it look nice? This is still more-or-less a test mini, so I have time to change stuff.

gallery_42895_4995_96615.jpg

Some of the main body is hard to see in that photo, but from my experience painting my white Tau army I'd say that you need to thin down the white you are using. It is possible to get a white coat in one go, but it ends up thick and messy. You need to be very patient when painting white - from a black undercoat base the white area in either fortress grey or dheneb stone i'd suggest, then put several thin layers of white on top for a nice, smooth white. Your shoulder pads look to me like they have been painted on quite thickly.

Other than that I'd say your model looks fine. You have highlighted the black well, though I'd suggest maybe picking out some of the chest detail a bit more than just black (as well as some of the gun, unless you like it black). Once you base the model, and if you do the whole army like that (but with smoother white) then it will look very good on the tabletop!

I like the gun black, but I've also yet to highlight it... And I checked out the guide on how to paint BTs on GW's site for the highlighting. If you click on the picture of the squad it'll blow up to a single marine, and it really helped me figure out where to highlight. And I definitely plan on watering down the white some more. I tried to water it down that time, but it seems I didn't use enough water... Oh, well.

If you click on the picture of the squad it'll blow up to a single marine

I must point out that I see no picture of a squad. The only picture from you PH34RB0T that I am seeing is the one of the single marine in your last post.

I meant the picture of the squad from Games Workshop's How to Paint Black Templar guide. It blows up a picture of a single marine, which makes the highlighted areas very obvious. I was just saying that it helped me immensely.

Archived