New Hand Sculpted Chaper Omega Bats!

Hmmmm, it's been awhile since i posted anything and I've been getting bogged down in a lot of other work. But, I did complete my space wolves force, you may remember them.

Either way, I have 2 models left to finish and they are done and in the books. And I've been thinking over what I should play next and I started drawing and putting together some unused ideas (Like my Sisters of Battle who've just been sitting in storage). :Troops:

http://img265.imageshack.us/img265/9369/mkiiconcept.jpg

I took a lot of that advice everyone gave me and I tried to hit a little closer to "all the way armored" this time.

I like the improvements, and slim sleekness of the design so far, I wanted to make a single exhaust backpack, but I'm not sure if that's really what's best (two is really cool). But I'm going to start a few and like my sisters I'm going to

have them resin cast by a friend. So I'm saying the first one will be tactical marines.

Although I'm not sure right now if I'm going to be using codex:space marines, or codex: blood angles. I like assault marines, but I like Vanguard vets and Sternguard more than I like silly lightning claw dreads B)

As always input welcome. More stuff to come (Also I'm not set on the chapter but I hade an urge to draw nova marines.)

Your Drawing looks good. Its a bit like a comic Armor looking cool but not working properly. And i bet you plan on thong Armor rather than a full butt armorplate. (Looks nice though)

This Battlemaiden will stop firing after 120 seconds because she cant hold up that heavy gauntlets anymore. The Adeptus Mechanicus forgot to install some artifical muscle to help move that gauntlets. Improve that.

When designig think about the function and if it could work!

You should work on the helmet, it has no 40K feel at all.

cya

i like this, i like this a lot! *subscribe*

@Naysmith: I'm sorry, but you do realise your talking about realism in a world of genetically enhanced super warrior in, essentially, mobile miniaturised power-plants, dont you?

You do realize that this thread will probably start a flame war of massive preportions just like your other threads? If so, why are you making new theads about it all the time? but you draw good and you can convert. this time convert so they don't seem like supermodels with no muscel at all.

sincerily TheFlexing.

P.S. my english is really bad, just ignore the mistakes.

Hidey-hi. I'd just like to point out one of my pet bugbears with all female power armour designs I've seen so far- no real armour has moulded tits. Remember the opening of Iron Man? "Wow, I didn't realise you were a woman under there."

But if you want 'em then that's artistic license.

It's like you people have no suspension of disbelief if it's a girl.

So, space marines can be super strong, but if they are girl space marines they can't?

So, Space marines can have big absurd weapons and guns because it's a staple of the artistic NECESSITY to be able to RECOGNIZE weapons for easy WYSIWG. But Girls have have smaller ones because they are girls?

So, Blood Angles (and other marines) can have NIPPLES and big huge veined muscles sculpted onto their armor, but once I add a contour to describe the shape there-in it's wrong if it's a girl?

So, basically. If it's a girl marine...I have to make absurd constraints and sacrifices because you stopped believing a 30mm model could hold a gun that was way to big for it, fight like a superhero and fly on a big metallic wings the way your army does just because it's a girl?

Well I am definitely looking forward to these as your models are fun to see. And as far as flame wars and "Omg no bewbs on armor" go, this is first and foremost a fantasy universe, and sisters of battle have body shaped armor, why can't a female space marine? Now for a bit of constructive criticism: Try to give her more of a spacemarine helmet that is less intimidating and very slightly thicker arms.

Well I am definitely looking forward to these as your models are fun to see. And as far as flame wars and "Omg no bewbs on armor" go, this is first and foremost a fantasy universe, and sisters of battle have body shaped armor, why can't a female space marine? Now for a bit of constructive criticism: Try to give her more of a spacemarine helmet that is less intimidating and very slightly thicker arms.

And "omg no bewbs on armor" is a rule that games workshop follows less stringently than me. Don't believe me?

http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m990169a_99120101085_BASanguinaryGuard1_873x627.jpg

I don't have a single model with nipple armor.

You know what? Forget I posted. It's not like either of us will ever change the other's mind.

Edit: Although I will say that I think you're a good artist and a great sculptor. You should honestly look into doing it professionally, if you don't already.

I think it's because there's no armour at all on the upper arm - it appears to be soft armour, and no power coupling for the fist - even terminators need external piping to supply those things!

As for 'bewbs-on-armour' - the fact is that SoB armour is ridiculously over-proportioned to begin with, that's not a great starting point. They're way too top-heavy, even in a fictional universe (it's meant to be in the future, after all, not an alternate universe with non-Newtonian physics).

That said however, your concept sketch isn't like that, but more like beaten-out panels to accomodate the female bust (consider Sgt Angua in the Discworld novels, if you've read 'em) - the only problem there is keeping that feel when you try to convert a SM chest piece, since they're rounder to start with, and broader.

Female power armour benefits more from more lithe thighs and waists than it does massively disproportionate, DD-sized breasts. Just stay true to your very accomplished concept sketch and it'll work. (Also: there's another recent topic on here that pulls this off quite well for an Inquisitor, which you've seen I believe.)

[As another side note, Sanguinary Guard don't have sculpted details to show off their own muscles, more to represent strength and a statue-like perfection, hence also their use of death-masks as helment visors. They're not your best friend when it comes to backing up your argument.]

In general - with a female space marine, you may want to start with a vaguely convincing fluff reason - the established canon (for good or ill) does indeed state than women can't be marines. I have no idea why, it comes off as arbitrary to me, and perhaps ever so slightly misogynist, but there it is. Here to be chaos would be your friend: just claim she (or they) are 'slightly possessed' or daemonic hybrids bred by some Fabius Bile-a-like, or some such thing.

If loyalist... well unless they're SoB or an Inquisitor you have a bit more work cut out for you to account for them being 7foot (in theory) and pretty strong. Perhaps strange gravitational and atmospheric circumstances on the homeworld make people of all genders stronger and faster (they won't be able to spit acid etc. or have all the extra organs, but that hardly matters since that doesn't really come into table-top play anyway). Consider how Ogryns are meant to be evolutionary offshoot of humans rather than space-ogres.

Some might not like you playing with the fluff, but you needn't go into too much unnecessary detail that'll just trip you up so - and so long as it's good - they'll just have to lump it: you have a reason, you have a cool model, the fluff isn't so comprehensive or sacrosant that you can't get around it with a bit of thought and creativity.

It's like you people have no suspension of disbelief if it's a girl.

So, space marines can be super strong, but if they are girl space marines they can't?

So, Space marines can have big absurd weapons and guns because it's a staple of the artistic NECESSITY to be able to RECOGNIZE weapons for easy WYSIWG. But Girls have have smaller ones because they are girls?

So, Blood Angles (and other marines) can have NIPPLES and big huge veined muscles sculpted onto their armor, but once I add a contour to describe the shape there-in it's wrong if it's a girl?

So, basically. If it's a girl marine...I have to make absurd constraints and sacrifices because you stopped believing a 30mm model could hold a gun that was way to big for it, fight like a superhero and fly on a big metallic wings the way your army does just because it's a girl?

so you dont read the 40k background and have never seen a sister of battle.

do sisters of battle have big guns? yes

do space marines have to be male for them to become a space marine? yes

would a woman in power armour still look like a woman? no (they would be pumped full of steroids and stuff so wouldn't have tits)

would a woman in power armour look like a man? yes

also take into account that most (all?) power armour is from the dark age of technology and almost all infomation from that time is lost or destroyed.

Alright, I'll try my best to work out a more structured "Exo skeleton" for the arms, I already made a very silly space girls army, and I'm trying (despite people's best efforts of dismission) to make a more "realistic" armor scheme for space girls.

Although "realistic" means in a universe of fantasy fiction in the future. :D

Actually, you don't need steroids to use power armour - it's actually powered armour - it augments your strength through servos and so on.

And in general, I think most front-line soldiers from worlds with a certain level of tech would have some kind of enhancement, a little gene reconfiguration perhaps, stimulants (but not steroids), little extras and so on. Most Inquisitors have rejuvenation therapy I think, to keep them living a bit longer, and maybe others rich/important enough to get it too. Sure, none of that = space marine, but it doesn't automatically result in weirdly proportioned Schwartzenegger look-a-likes either.

Actually, you don't need steroids to use power armour - it's actually powered armour - it augments your strength through servos and so on.

And in general, I think most front-line soldiers from worlds with a certain level of tech would have some kind of enhancement, a little gene reconfiguration perhaps, stimulants (but not steroids), little extras and so on. Most Inquisitors have rejuvenation therapy I think, to keep them living a bit longer, and maybe others rich/important enough to get it too. Sure, none of that = space marine, but it doesn't automatically result in weirdly proportioned Schwartzenegger look-a-likes either.

In the ravener books they fight a hive ganger guy who's described as "painfully thin" and is able to break steel in his fingertips, and be shot without flinching. If it's an augmentation of the body, modified by semi-powered armor, it would

fit quite well. :lol: So it's the the catch some kind of tech blueprint or list of gene therapies and body modification to start with?

I like the look of it as it is. My motto is and always will be nothing is impossible but escaping death, so why would it be impossible for a female marine, or a skinny person bieng strong. I am quite skinny myself, but i am pretty strong. What people need to understand is that its a game where you push about little plastic/metal people, IT IS NOT REAL.

If i was a female, i wouldnt like people mistaking me for a man, so i think its fine having tit armour on them. Make them how you want to make them, the concept art looks great, and with your moddeling the skills, the miniatures will come out great. I will be subscribing to this thread and i hope you do go for it, its your hobby, do what you wish with it.

I was a fan of your female wolf-termies so I'm looking forward to seeing what you can cook up on this one!

The drawing looks ace, so I'm having good expectations for the model.

And lets hope this thread can be kept in a good clean shape and not get troll-beat like the last one. Remember guys, this is a game, and a sci-fi one. It's not exact science, if someone wants to do something, then let them. It might not be "cannon" or in line with the 40k universe, but as long as it's cool/fun let there be peace ( or a moderator will bring it by the tip of a melta-barrel. )

Cheers!

Well today I decided on a "chapter" name:

The Omega Bats.

Motto: "Feel The Wrath of the Super Rad!"

Color scheme: Still in development but I'm thinking something like this

sm.php?b62c=@hXlWj_iakk7.iaj0o@@@@@@@hG4Ss@_@@._@@@@@@@@@@@.hXbsb.hXbsb@@@@@@@@@@__@@@@@@@@@@@@@_hXbsb&grid=TRUE

or Maybe

sm.php?b62c=@hXlWj_i6Djn.iakk7@@@@___hG4Ss@.@@iaj0o.@@@@@@@@@@@hXbsb_hXbsb_@@@@@@@@@@..@@@___@@@@@@@.hUI3n&grid=TRUE

I like the off-white green armor, it's just those other colors I'm indifferent about. Suggestions?

Still developing a background for them, I'm thinking that they will be from the ghoul stars, or at least "created" in the ghoul stars.

You don't need to have genetic modification to wear power armor. I've always imagined it like the power armor from the Fallout games, increases your existing strength after training to use it.

But you do to wear Astartes Power Armour, I could have sword that I read somewhere that Astartes power armour was superior and offered more strength, power and protection that other types of power armour specificity worn by humans. To me this make more sense but I can't quote any fluff. I will however attempt to find out.

As for the concept it's obviously against the established back ground material, and with such body fitting armour I fear they will look like Sisters of Battle. But it's your hobby and you can do what you like. Just be prepared to accept the people will tell you it's not a fluffy 40k force. :lol:

Look forward to seeing actual models.

In general - with a female space marine, you may want to start with a vaguely convincing fluff reason - the established canon (for good or ill) does indeed state than women can't be marines. I have no idea why, it comes off as arbitrary to me, and perhaps ever so slightly misogynist, but there it is.

It's because 40k is based on history, and much of that history comes from a time where women were considered not to make good warriors. It's just the background of 40k but as time has gone on there have been more female warriors included in all GW ranges. Especially the The sister of battle in 40k. Again the way it has been done fits in with maybe a more feudal background but it all helps to create a setting, as 40k has a unique twist on technology for example.

I

Marines have the black carapace, allowing them to wear power armour not as a ton of metal, but as a second skin. They can literaly feel something through the armour. If a marine in PA picks up a piece of cloth he will be able to feel the texture through his gauntlets. This because the black carapace connects him to the PA.

A human can use power armour (although getting your hands on one wont be the easiest thing as they're quite valuable ) but to him it would simply be a extremly advanced combat/space suit, like a modern day NASA suit, only made to kill everything and everyone with extreme fury.

Hence that Inqs can take PA etc.

Honestly I'd love to see the color scheme you have on the drawing, but then again I'm a sucker for green ;)

Cheers!

Archived