Havoc laucher query

I have started doing an iron warriors army, and am wondering whether to take a few havoc launchers on some of the tanks as firstly I think it would fit Iron warriors fluff but also I cant see a pintle bolter doing a great deal. Im mainly thinking on vindicators & predators though I could see it being useful on a rhino, as once you get a unit where it needed it becomes almost redundant.

Would like to here peoples thoughts on this?

I have started doing an iron warriors army, and am wondering whether to take a few havoc launchers on some of the tanks as firstly I think it would fit Iron warriors fluff but also I cant see a pintle bolter doing a great deal. Im mainly thinking on vindicators & predators though I could see it being useful on a rhino, as once you get a unit where it needed it becomes almost redundant.

Would like to here peoples thoughts on this?

Zhukov was looking into doing a Havoc-Back based army, similar to the Razorback SW army you see but with Plague Marines instead, so you might want to ask him.

Its been talked about few here and there and the conclusion is usually something like "they aren't bad but you rarely have the free points to spend on the upgrade".

Rhino = not a bad place to take them, give the squad inside 2 Plasma guns and snipe from the fire point.

Vindicator = bad, it should be moving forward and not hanging back. If it does lose its main gun, you're better off ramming things or blocking LOS with it

Predator = best on the Dakka Predator since all the guns are made for killing basic infantry, doesn't do much for Combi or Las Predators

Defiler = no reason to pay for a weapon that you won't be firing because you should be using the Battle Cannon or Fleeting

Land Raider = Has potential, it pairs up well with the TL Heavy Bolter but not with the Lascannons. If you're using your Land Raider as a gunship, it adds a little punch.

For the extra TL Bolter, the best thing about it is that its S4 so you can move 12" and fire it along with the first Bolter. This makes it more useful on Rhinos since they need to be moving toward to the enemy anyway.

well one could try to mimic the BA or SW razorback builds by spaming havockbacks and 5 man pm units supported[duh] by oblits and DPs , but A It is very situational and depands on field meta game B while a bit different , it does have its limitations , the havocksbacksa re not cheap [like the BA ones], nor are their tanks . they do get stuned just like what they are . C the normal havockless buildsa re fool proof , the havockback build does requier a more reactive type of gaming and makes the list more vunerable to uber unit builds and mecha [while buffing the number of shots made and being ,at least technicly , better at anti horde.

on a vindicator you will never use it , so it is a waste of points[+the vindi is a bad support choice to begin with] . on preds it only makes them cost more , while forcing them to be static . the other problem with preds and havock launchers is that the way chaos codex is made if you take preds , they are your main anti tank option . giving your main anti tank option a single weapon against horde is a bad idea . [and again preds arent the best anti tank we can use , so it only one more reason not to havocks on them].

IMO, on a dakka pred, absolutely. On a vindi or defiler, well as you can't fire any weapons along with Ordinance, then no, well, you could use it if you got a weapon destroyed at least, but then again, a dirge caster would be better at that point. :lol:

Have a look at this list.

Don't put them on rhinos as they should be cheap and cheerful. Not sure how I feel about putting them on the vindis as they should be in close for maximum effect. Using them on predators though is a good idea in my book as they add more anti infantry punch from 48", which suits the firepower already on a dakka pred.

JG

I like to throw them on my dakka preds and any rhino that I'm using more as a bunker than as a transport such as with my objective camping dual plasma plague marines or my blastmater wielding noise marines.

I find that 9 times out of 10 they do a good job and more than earn their points back.

Well I have always used havoc launcher on my Rhinos. Their always a great choice cause once you dump off the cargo it is nice to have some fire support instead of a shell just blocking LOS. 3 Rhinos with Havoc launcher can put some major dents in those pesky ork and nid armies.

Archived