Skull Takers paint scheme

So I've been building a bunch of 'zerkers lately and I've been thinking about how to paint them. I was looking through the CSM codex and I saw the Skull Takers. I rather liked the way they looked. Based on the image I came up with this:

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a316/maverike_prime/Warhammer/skull-taker-marine-01.jpg

Thoughts?

Looks pretty good to me, looking at pg. 70 of the Codex. The image on pg. 21 is a bit different (silver/boltgun metal trim rather than bronze - and skull or terror mask painted over the helmet).

But given the description (they polish the armor with the ground up bones of their enemies), the metallic red you have seems highly appropriate.

I'm not sure how far on you are with painting, but it's a very good start. You might try a wash or ink into the crevices or around the raised parts of the trim to give the bronze a bit of depth.

Here's the process that resulted in what you see there:

Black Prime

Boltgun metal across the entire model

1:1 wash of Badad and Water

1 wash of Badad in crevices and on plate edges

Highlight with pure Boltgun

1:1 Boltgun Metal and Mithral Silver High light

6-7 washes of Ball red. Not sure if it's me skipping pieces or something else, but I found that the inner legs required more coats to get to the same level.

Scorched Brown on all the parts that are going to be gold and the pouch on the back of the hip.

Dened Stone on the horns

Shinning gold on the gold areas

Wash of Gryphone Sepia on the Gold areas

Devlin mud wash on horns

1:1 Devlin mud and Water wash across entire model.

Snot green in the eyes (I'll get around to doing the highlights in the eye at some point, but not until I finalize the color scheme)

That's the process I used. Advice?

Archived