Autocannons

Ulfast

I have been thinking to buy a dreadnought from Forgeworld and equip it with a autocannon and ccW. That got me started to think that we got plenty of options as chaos players to use autocannon, everything from predator, havocs and dreads (even regular chaos space marines can use it). But is anyone using them and in such case, and what do you think about them?

My thought are that two S7 shoot could be very nice against medium tanks, thought orks and other things. Ofc armour 13 and 14 is more or less impossibly too take down but everything else is a target. As much is twin linked( or at least two shoots) and a range of 48 it could indeed be very dangerous. But am I wrong, would a lascannon or multi-melta be better?

Autocannons are decent, not great (for their cost) but we really don't need them. That is not to say you cannot have a lot of fun with them.

Sometimes I field a 6 man havoc squad with autos for the hell of it.

i've been using a large number of autocannons lately.

4 in an 8 man havoc squad, one on a predator, and one on a dreadnaught. They are very versatile and are great at cracking light armor. The dread and havocs frequently disable or destroy whatever i am them at, because the high number of shots, and re-rolls with the reaper on the dread. The Predator works well in a pinch but i've spent more time aiming it's 2x heavy bolters and havoc launcher at troops in addition to the autocannon.

I have been thinking about adding another autocannon into my terminators for the added bonus of the reaper w/ rerolls, but haven't taken the final step and tried it yet. The army while capable of dealing with most threats can fail pretty miserably sometimes if used incorrectly. On some occasions i will forgo wrecking a transport or enemy tank in order to put some wounds on space marines or terminators, and in some cases will kill a handful, but they will never do the damage that obliterators are capable of.

deploy the autocannons on flanks if you can to take advantage of side armor against your targets. the high number of shots will ensure that if there are hull down saves, they won't make all of them.

Archived