Some Wolfy Questions

Sparhawk

So I have a couple questions for our resident SW experts. I played my first game against our long-haired brothers recently and some things came up that seemed a bit off. I didn't make any issues of it since it was just a friendly game and the guy I was playing with would in no way be trying to intentionally bend the rules.

1. He said that there was a banner or power or something that his wolf-priest had that allowed him to re-roll hits in combat every turn.

2. He had some ability that allowed him to hit on a 3+ no matter what and combined that with some ability to re-roll 1(s) and to re-roll that re-roll if it was also a 1.

It's the last part of number 2 that I am most curious about as I was under the impression that a re-roll could never be re-rolled. I don't own a wolves codex so I would appreciate any quotes or page numbers that could help.

So I have a couple questions for our resident SW experts. I played my first game against our long-haired brothers recently and some things came up that seemed a bit off. I didn't make any issues of it since it was just a friendly game and the guy I was playing with would in no way be trying to intentionally bend the rules.

1. He said that there was a banner or power or something that his wolf-priest had that allowed him to re-roll hits in combat every turn.

2. He had some ability that allowed him to hit on a 3+ no matter what and combined that with some ability to re-roll 1(s) and to re-roll that re-roll if it was also a 1.

It's the last part of number 2 that I am most curious about as I was under the impression that a re-roll could never be re-rolled. I don't own a wolves codex so I would appreciate any quotes or page numbers that could help.

They do have a peice of wargear that lets them hit on 3+ against any target with a weaponskill, but there is nothing in the entire game that will let you reroll a reroll. And I cant think of any wolf item that lets wolfs reroll ones either. I'll crack the dex and see if I can find an answer about that and number 1. But rerolling rerolls is definatly wrong.

Where Codex Chaplains have 'Liturgies of Battle' which allows them and their unit to re-roll to hit the turn they charge, Space Wolves Wolf Priests have 'Oath of War' instead. They pick one unit type (like 'Infantry', 'Jump Infantry', 'Beasts/Cavalry', 'Bikes', 'Monstrous Creatures', 'Artillery' or 'Vehicles') at the start of the game and the Priest and his unit have the 'Preferred Enemy' special rule against that unit type, which lets them re-roll to hit in close combat against that unit type (see Rulebook, page 75). While the Wolf Priest and his unit can indeed re-roll attacks in every close combat phase, not just when they charged, that ability is restricted to the unit type chosen at the beginning of the game (he should have informed you which unit type he was choosing). For example, if he picks "Infantry" he will be able to re-roll attacks against your Tactical Marines and your Terminators, but not against your Asault Marines with jump packs or your Bikes.

Space Wolves Characters can get the 'Wolf Tooth Necklace', which lets them hit on +3 regardless of the enemy's Weapon Skill. The 'Wolf Standard', available to units of Grey Hunters, allows that unit once per game to re-roll 1's in a close combat phase. However, that would still not allow them to re-roll a re-roll if they also had a Wolf Priest with them and were fighting against the designated unit type. See page 2 in the Rulebook.

Wolf Priests have Oaths of War which confers Preferred Enemy onto the unit they join. It is however only against a certain unit type (of your choice) so if I chose Infantry it wouldn't work against bikes or jump infantry.

Space Wolves also have access to Wolf Tooth Necklaces which allow the wearer to hit on a 3+ regardless of Ws (it only works against things with a Ws though).

There is a saga, Saga of the Beastslayer which allows re-rolls to hit (ranged or cc) against walkers or MCs.

There is also tyhe Wolf Totem which is an upgrade to Grey Hunter units and can only be used once per game. It allows the unit (and any attached characters) to re-roll ANY 1's during an assault phase.

However there is nothing in the codex which allows re-rolls to be re-rolled, so he may well have been confused on that.

+edit+ took so long typing got beaten by legatus

Archived