Chaos Dreadnoughts in Superheavy Transport

Aidoneus

So, there are basically no rules for what happens when one vehicle is in another. However, in Apoc (and now Spearhead), you can take Superheavy transports (such as a Plague Tower), which can carry other vehicles. Typically this is pretty simple, but what about Chaos Dreadnoughts? Do they roll to go crazy or not? And if so, what happens?

While the rage rule disallows raging inside vehicles (clearly says it), the crazed does not. This indicates that it still would be affected by it (similar to how innate abilities can affect troops in transport), and must fire from the sides of the vehicle, or either leave the vehicle or have it travel towards the enemy

if the vehicle were open topped or had fire points i would roll for the crazy thing (if it were my dread) and shoot the weapons from whatever one was nearest to the targe. i would not force the dread to disembark nor force the transport to move closer.

in my mind the dread would be restrained (chained to the floor) but still able to pivot and so would still be able to shoot.

These are all good ideas for dreads gone crazed but if in reserves you wouldn't roll... If in a flying transport you wouldn't roll because there's no action to take other than disembark. So why roll in a nurgle plague tower? I say no for going crazed because it really doesn't make sense unless you were about to make the dreads first action into battle not while carpooling. If there is a rule that says otherwise someone should bring it up but that's my take on this topic.

you would roll. Why? becasuse the rules say you roll, and there are no conditions on that. If you roll blood frenzy then you must disembark and go toward the nearest enemy, then fleet, then assault (if possible), though as no order is specified you could move the transport before or after at your discretion. If you take that one orc with a similar rule (to blood frenzy) then you would only be able to move the transport in a way that does not prevent the assault. If you roll fire frenzy then you use a fireport if the transport has them, if not you ignore it and treat it as sane just like the rule says.

Yeah, models in a transport count as firing from the hull of the vehicle (at least, they do in an open-topped vehicle, which the Tower counts as for shooting purposes). So no shooting the Tower itself.

I can get behind needing to shoot from inside the vehicle. Although the dread itself can't move during a Fire Frenzy, I see no reason why the Tower couldn't move with the 'nought inside it.

For Blood Rage though, it's less clear. Nothing in the Dreadnought's rule specifically says it has to disembark. Could it just stay inside, and do nothing (since it can't charge from inside)?

For Blood Rage though, it's less clear. Nothing in the Dreadnought's rule specifically says it has to disembark. Could it just stay inside, and do nothing (since it can't charge from inside)?

It says you must move as far as possible toward the nearest enemy. Dissembarking moves you closer, therefor you must.

It says you must move as far as possible toward the nearest enemy. Dissembarking moves you closer, therefor you must.

Isn't there a question regarding rage and transports in the Ork faq (and I may be wrong here) saying they will allow you to move further away from the nearest enemy unit to get in a transport if the transport will then take you closer faster? (AKA that turn), if that isn't just a false memory or if anyone knows what it actually says I would say houserule along those lines... if the vehicle it is in takes the dread closer to the nearest enemy unit that it could get itself then it can remain inside and if it can't or a unit is close enough that it could assault then it must get out to assault.

Isn't there a question regarding rage and transports in the Ork faq (and I may be wrong here) saying they will allow you to move further away from the nearest enemy unit to get in a transport if the transport will then take you closer faster? (AKA that turn), if that isn't just a false memory or if anyone knows what it actually says I would say houserule along those lines... if the vehicle it is in takes the dread closer to the nearest enemy unit that it could get itself then it can remain inside and if it can't or a unit is close enough that it could assault then it must get out to assault.

Its not rage, its a different rule. On one of their warbosses, but it is similar to the rule of the chaos dread (which is also not rage), and I woulld not be oposed to a similar interpritation.

Its not rage, its a different rule. On one of their warbosses, but it is similar to the rule of the chaos dread (which is also not rage), and I woulld not be oposed to a similar interpritation.

I know it isn't rage (I wasn't clear), I was just thinking that following the same line of thought would be good in APOC games where conflict can arise a lot due to extra and often conflicting rules and combinations you can't normally make in the standard game.

The Plague Tower (being a superheavy) can only move 6" per turn. The Dread can also move 6" per turn, plus a run of at least 1", not to mention a disembarkation that would amount to at least 4 or so inches. There is no way the transport will be quicker.

The Plague Tower (being a superheavy) can only move 6" per turn. The Dread can also move 6" per turn, plus a run of at least 1", not to mention a disembarkation that would amount to at least 4 or so inches. There is no way the transport will be quicker.

Some super-heavies can go faster... also if you have to disembark off the back of a super-heavy (say it only has a rear ramp) and the super-heavy is long then it might take you further away. I was just trying to find a middle ground between jumping out everytime at the drop of a hat and never being effected by crazy juice.

Archived