Why would a Space Wolf fall?

LordGates

I was wondering, and figured I would post here since I am not super up to date on Space Wolf fluff and lore. Why would a Space Wolf fall to chaos? A good example being those who turned and joined Huron Blackheart. What would drive a Space Wolf to betray his oath to the Emperor and his legion? I am trying to write a little bit of fluff, but aside from falling to Khorne and going blood crazy, I could not really think of anything.

I am doing a Skyrar's Dark Wolves army, and I am trying to write my own fluff for them.

A space wolf could fall to the curse of the wulfen or something like that and then not know the difference b/w chaos and not chaos. Or there are just some wierd marines who have that kernel of darkness within them which just needs to be awakened for them to fall.

A space wolf could fall to the curse of the wulfen or something like that and then not know the difference b/w chaos and not chaos. Or there are just some wierd marines who have that kernel of darkness within them which just needs to be awakened for them to fall.

I see SWs as being the easiest chapter to explain falling to chaos.

You have obvious mutation-wulfen. Thousand Sons were known for mutation.

Being a bit carnal and crazy in combat... alost like wild animals- similar to pre-heresy world eaters.

Having an almost chaos name. Space Wolves ~ Luna Wolves. We know what happened to them.

They have very primitive almost worshipping beliefs. They think their rune priests are actually calling forth the power of their planet... oh no thats not the warp :D . Very similar to what lead Lorgar to chaos.

They are one of the chapters that is the furthest from codex adherence.

They get sent out like attack dogs to planets humanity has basically given up on. We don't send them in as peace keepers, they are there solely to cause death destruction and fear, similar to how the Emperor used the World Eaters and Night Lords pre-heresy.

Their primarch has serious anger management issues, also similar to a couple primarchs that turned.

You could run with a number of things.

While putting down a rebellion they go to far killing most of the population and realize they will be looked down upon for it. When the time comes they decide to break free and do things their way. A combination of what made the IWs and NLs turn.

A Rune priest leads a group of his battle brothers astray when he believes he has found unbelievable things with his rune priest powers... only to find out he has been tempted by chaos. Used many times in fluff.

Turn to Khorn....

As has been mentioned, their barbarous ways are flirting with Khorne worship already. Also I could imagine a couple wolves deciding that the Emperor/Imperium are weak and holding them back and decide that they are better off on their own. Especially if it's a pack that has been far from Fenris from a long time and has had time to develop their own separatist and deviant ideologies based around their own personal superiority and power. Also daemons mis-interpreted as animal spirits or something could work since the SW are pretty "simple" in that regard.

Super human arrogance, ambition, bloodlust.. (Slaanesh, Tzeentch, Khorne) Space Wolves have all these. All make it easy to fall to the dark gods.

If you post this question in the space wolf forum and watch the insane nerd rage that any space wolf has fallen to chaos in the canon.. I love it.

I have always thought that the legions which felt to chaos were the most human legions. I mean, they had fear, anger, ambition, .... Human feelings they could not control, so they felt. They changed some strange faith in the Emperor and the Codex Astartes for real Gods who allowed them to be themselves.

Why SW can fall to Chaos?

A company with strong sense of honor can be disappointed in the ways of the Imperium. Things like exterminatus, the continuous suspicious from the inquisition, ... can make this company to change its loyalty.

At the end the Imperium is some kind a fascist state, everything and everyone controlled. Even the astartes.

If there are chapter like the Flesh Tearers that have been controlled and feared due to its bloodlust, the same with the SW. And the SW are not the most patient and diligent with the Imperium administration.

So, based upon that there are plenty of options: a rune priest wants to increase his powers and decide to study the disformity more than is permitted. A Wolf Lord may decide that the Imperium doesn't deserve his loyalty so start to fight by himself with his company and at the end falls to Chaos.

Always remember Chaos is twisted, patient and insidious. Maybe at the beginning the SW character motives can be even good, but at the end there is only Chaos or dead. Also you can assume that the SW has felt to Chaos as a way to protect themselves from the Imperium revenge after they "treachery".

LordGates, which chaos god did you think of besides Khorne? I'm thinking using Slaanesh might be a good start. Have Slaanesh constantly whispering in the ear of a strikeforce of Space Wolves while they're out on a campaign, and eventually they give in to the god of excess.

At the end the Imperium is some kind a fascist state, everything and everyone controlled. Even the astartes.

If there are chapter like the Flesh Tearers that have been controlled and feared due to its bloodlust, the same with the SW. And the SW are not the most patient and diligent with the Imperium administration.

How are the Flesh tearers controlled exactly? Even the high lords of Terra do not interfere with their blood letting, as they get too many positive results.

It would not be worth anybody's trouble trying to stop them.

Space wolves would be one of the easier chapters to turn to chaos. they are proud, just appeal to their pride, tell them the Imperium is weak and holding them back. They are practically seperatists anyway, all it would take is a little push.

The only reason they are still tolerated is the same as the Flesh Tearers, they are extremely good at killing the enemy.

Darkchild

Im not 100% up on Space Wolves fluff myself but just take a look at the infamous 13th Company - no one is truly sure if they are still loyal to the Emperor or if they have their own agendas or possibly touched by Chaos itself. They certainly sport parts of Chaos armour anyway!

I also agree with what alot of people have posted already, that hurt pride would/could lead to a Space Wolf's downfall.

A pack of Space Wolves that have been cut off from Imperial rule for a prolonged period of time (possibly due to a crusade in the far edges of the galaxy) and with a lack of Imperial backing/preaching plus the encounters with the Imperiums many many foes along the crusade, they realise how frail the Imperium actually is and that the threat from Xenos and traitors alike are so numerous they feel that the Emperor's rule is straining and weak. Thus the crusading Space Wolves find it hard to come to terms with this realisation and their doubt, frustration, confusion and anger inevitably leads them to the path of Chaos!

Archived