CSM loadout for 4th and 5th squads

minigun762

So my first three squads are always the same:

2 x 10 CSMs, 2 Meltaguns, Power Fist, Rhino, IoCG

1 x 10 CSMs, 2 Plasmaguns, Rhino, IoCG

Gives me two aggressive units and one objective camper.

However I'm stuck on what to give my next two squads.

Should I continue in the same theme and do one each of the squads I already have, bringing it to 3/2?

Should I consider investing in one heavy weapon squad for a long range objective camper?

What about a 2 Flamer squad or do I have enough infantry weapons with 50 Bolters and Chainswords?

Note: I'm limiting this to Undivided CSM choices at the moment.

Should I continue in the same theme and do one each of the squads I already have, bringing it to 3/2?

Should I consider investing in one heavy weapon squad for a long range objective camper?

What about a 2 Flamer squad or do I have enough infantry weapons with 50 Bolters and Chainswords?

I'd go with yes and stuff. 3/2 would be most useful, though a hybrid may also be useful if you're lacking objectives in your DZ. I'd go with a heavy weapon in one or both of the campers, and definitely flamage for the last aggressive unit. Sure you have plenty of bolters, but they'll likely get cover saves. Chainswords are great too, except they can hit you back. Flamers take care of both of those problems, as well as being able to fire from the hatch with impunity. Hordes of gaunts or whatever around your vehicle? Torched. Plus, you don't have to roll to hit.

Consider combi-weapons for fisters and rhinos? Consider flames for the meltas, and meltas for the flames. They still have dedicated goals, but when surrounded by the opposite they won't get completely pinched.

Consider combi-weapons for fisters and rhinos? Consider flames for the meltas, and meltas for the flames. They still have dedicated goals, but when surrounded by the opposite they won't get completely pinched.

i do this with my champs, sure it's not the best use of points but they do come in handy more often than not.

Skip the combi weapons! It always seems like a waste of points to me unless it's on Terminators (where they get it at a discount!). I like running the "in your face" versions of dual meltas with a fisty champion along with dual flamers with a fisty champion. They seems to do what Chaos does best: melt faces at short range before charging and crushing some skulls. Chaos just seems to do that so well versus pretty much every army. The dual plasma objective campers never seems to work for me, especially when I don't get a fist in the squad. Almost every time I wish that they had a Rhino, had a powerfist and usually meltaguns.

I usually don't "wish" I had flamers, because I usually don't need help with hordes. With that said, I am ALWAYS impressed with how my flamer squads preform. I can't say the same for plasma. (and it's move expensive!)

i think a squad with flamers or atleast 1 could come in handy (combi flamer on champ), i wouldnt take a heavy weapon though i think plasma work better for the objective camper squads.

sooo 1 flamer squad and 1 more plasma squad then you have 2 melta, 2 plasma, 1 flamer squads :) and of course the other goody items like fists/rhinos.

I think I'm leaning towards 2x Flamers/Fist and 2xMelta/Fist.

Having some Flamers in my army gives me a good counter for those annoying units who like to camp in fortified cover and Melta/Fist is always a safe loadout.

I'd like a 2nd Plasma squad but one is probably enough to hold an objective and/or provide fire support. I feel that I'd miss their firepower against MCs and instead have to rely on Power Fists to carry the day.

I feel that I'd miss their firepower against MCs and instead have to rely on Power Fists to carry the day.
Therein lies the problem again; if you need the fist to carry the day, you're suffering casualties. If you don't need to use the fist, so much the better as it's already dead. If, between 2 meltagun squads and whatever else is in the army, you can't handle the vehicles arrayed against you, you're likely lost whether or not you have a 3rd meltagun squad.

Surprised not to see chillin chippin' in with his melta/flamer mixed squad suggestion.

Not sure I really understand the problem.

Is the problem points distribution? You are deciding how to equip the troops and will use remaining points to select HQ/Elite/HS choices. Or do you already know what you're taking in (some or all of) those slots and will adjust the troops accordingly? Because there's quite a big difference in point cost between a plasma squad and a flamer squad (because unless your campers are in some other form of cover, they still need in rhino IMO).

Or is this a modelling dilemma? In this case, do you differentiate (markings/colour choices) between your squads. If you do, build 14-man squads, including magnetised champ, 7 bolters, 2 meltas, 2 flamers, 2 plasma and decide on game day what you're taking. If you don't, build a pool of melta, flamer and plasma guys (6/4/4 would be suggestion), and just build 8-man squads (magnetised champ and 7 bolters). I'm taking the latter approach, but with even more specials, since I'm not modelling my chosen different to my CSMs.

Cheers, Paul.

Not sure I really understand the problem.

Is the problem points distribution? You are deciding how to equip the troops and will use remaining points to select HQ/Elite/HS choices. Or do you already know what you're taking in (some or all of) those slots and will adjust the troops accordingly? Because there's quite a big difference in point cost between a plasma squad and a flamer squad (because unless your campers are in some other form of cover, they still need in rhino IMO).

Yeah its more about knowing what the rest of the army is going to be already and then trying to figure out the additional troop choices.

In my case, an average squad of CSMs geared up with a Rhino runs around 240-260 points depending so its good enough to say that I can fit 2 of them into a 500 point block which is my intention.

I love my plasma guns, so I'd consider going 2x2 Melta, 2x2 Plasma, and 1x2 Flamer, with PF in the melta and flamer groups. But, if you have a propensity to roll 1s, then go 3x2 Melta and 2x2 Flamer for better results.

Archived