Preferred Enemy.

Morticon

I tried to use something in a tournament today and my opponent was truly surprised. He understood the wording and agreed with me RAW, but asked me if I thought thats what they intended, and I chose not to do it because I suddenly felt mad dirty (and he was a mate).

Heres the question.

Can Preferred enemy be used to re-roll to-hit dice that HIT?

Here are the rules in question:

1: (Pg 2, Re-rolls) In some situations, the rules allow you a 're-roll' of the dice. This is exactly as it sounds - pick up the dice you wish to re-roll and roll them again.

2. (Preferred Enemy) ..Such troops can always re-roll their rolls to hit in close combat against their preferred enemy.

I say, unequivocally, yes.

Yes, you can, since it doesnt say "failed" rolls to hit.

Of course, you run the risk of failure by trying again, with no re-reroll to help you. So I dont think its that dirty, even If I probly wouldnt do it myself.

Of course, you run the risk of failure by trying again, with no re-reroll to help you. So I dont think its that dirty, even If I probly wouldnt do it myself.

What you mean "risk of failure", GM? You mean you run the risk of hitting again when you dont want to hit? ..or ><; ?

If you are re-rolling your hits in order to try to get misses then I think it is technically correct by RAW, but I agree with you that it is BS and not in the spirit of the game at all. That'd be like trying to use your bolt pistol in CC instead of your powerweapon so you don't kill as many.

Hey, I let your PDF BA have doors on your rhinos and I am willing to bet your buddy did, too. So give us a little love back. ^_^

You certainly can. Don't let him shame you because he doesn't like something.

Dislike < playing the game properly.

I don't like weak SS, no frags & krak grenades on my Crusaders, paying a lot for my Rhinos/Bikes/Assault marines/Dakka preds etc.

They have to suffer cheap 3-las Preds, cheap Venerables and the like.

Rolling to miss is fine. It is not like no using your power weapon because you must use a special weapon .

What you mean "risk of failure", GM? You mean you run the risk of hitting again when you dont want to hit? ..or ><; ?

There are other reasons to want to reroll your hits, say in order to activate a special ability that only comes into effect when you hit on a certain number.

As GM said, you may want to re-roll that successful hit b/c you want to try and get a "rending" wound instead of a normal wound, for example. The downside is, if you re-roll that successful hit, you run the risk of it missing on the re-roll and you've now just wasted that attack.

.. but I agree with you that it is BS and not in the spirit of the game at all.

Mord -im not sure if i agree 100% there. In my mind its perfectly fluffy for a unit that knows his opponent so well, he knows how to direct the flow of combat to his advantage. Whats the point of your enemy being preferred if you're just going to be countered into oblivion? How would that unit have gotten to that status and ability without realising that fact.

Hey now, this is definitely not one we want to get into a "real world" debate about- IRL you dont time the fight to be over during the period where your opponent- who hasnt shot anything- mysteriously cant shoot you as you come for him.

I used to do this with rending attacks... I would sometimes re-roll those that had hit/wounded whatever but had not rolled what was needed to rend. (This was in previous editions using different rules, however the idea is the same).

.. but I agree with you that it is BS and not in the spirit of the game at all.

Mord -im not sure if i agree 100% there. In my mind its perfectly fluffy for a unit that knows his opponent so well, he knows how to direct the flow of combat to his advantage. Whats the point of your enemy being preferred if you're just going to be countered into oblivion? How would that unit have gotten to that status and ability without realising that fact.

We are getting out of the range of rules so I don't want to get into it here. But I could give you a list of things "in the spirit of the game" if you'd like.

Yep, this seems perfectly within the rules to me, too; and it's pretty awesome.

"Spirit of the game" is by it's nature RAI, and we only deal in RAW here; so, go ahead and see if you can allow a survivor or two and thus carry combat into the next player turn. :)

I agree. No other Rules or FAQ's say otherwise.

I believe the RAW has been answered, but just because I am personally curious, what were you trying to do Mort? Why did you want to reroll your Hits?

V

I agree. No other Rules or FAQ's say otherwise.

I believe the RAW has been answered, but just because I am personally curious, what were you trying to do Mort? Why did you want to reroll your Hits?

V

If I understand it right he wanted to reroll the hits and hope he missed so he did not wipe the unit and stayed in CC for an extra round. This way he cannot get shot at and then can immediately assault another unit.

• 1 month later...

Archived