IC and Combact Resolution

I'm sorry if this has been answered before but my search-fu is weak today:

Let's say I have a fearless IC (a chaplain is perfect) joned to a squad and they lose a CC by 3 wounds

to I have to take 3 armour save with the IC and 3 with the squad or just 3 assigned as i want to the squad members and the IC?

The RB says:

p49. "Once all attacks have been resolved, these characters are once again treated as normal memebers of the unit they joined (from determining assault results onwards)"

We have always played having 3 wounds on IC and 3 on squad but reading again the RB changed my mind, thinking that "onwards" means "before determining results (and so, morale/saves and so on)

can you help us to clarify? :P

Thank you

I've always done that the loosing side, rolls a wound for each body difference in a close combat.

So a chappy attached to an assault marines squad, if they (plural) loose by 3, you have to roll 3 wounds... which you can allocate as wished wether only the chappy, only the AM or mixing.

Another example:

If I assault 2x5 men tactical squads (multiple assault) with say 5 terminators, and I win the CC by 2 (I killed 2 guys in a squad), the defending 3+5 marines would take 2 wounds... which you could allocate as you wished.

Maybe I'm wrong and both the 3 marines and the 5 marines would have to take 2 wounds each...but don't think so!

Can't help you out with BRB 'cuz I don't have it here now :(

Tanhausen, you are doing it wrong. Each unit takes the wounds (which is really nice if you can get into combat with some gaunts and a nid MC, beat down the gaunts, let the wounds from fearless kill the MC).

Now, for an IC, he stops being seperate after the attacks, so in the case of a chaplain and a unit, they take one group of fearless wounds to allocate as normal.

Fearless units suffer additional wounds instead of taking morale tests. So every unit that would otherwise have made a morale test will suffer the additional wounds.

Example: A unit of Berserkers plus Chaos Lord and a unit of Plague Marines (all Fearless), lose a round of combat against Orks. If these units were not fearless, you would now have to make a morale test for teh Berserker unit and one for teh Plague Marine unit. You would not have to test for teh Lord separately, as he is attached to teh Berserker unit and is subject to their test. But since they are all fearless, they get additional wounds instead of taking the test. So if the Chaos side lost by 3, the Berserker unit would suffer 3 wounds and the Plague Marine unit would suffer 3 wounds. The Lord is part of the Berserker unit, so you could allocate one of the 3 wounds at him if you wanted. He will not suffer his own distinct 3 wounds, because he is part of teh Berserker unit for the close combat result.

@JamesI

Thanks for the clarification! Truth is I'm usually not involved in multiple assaults (5 terminator units in Deathwing don't spread so much hehe)... but I'll keep it in mind :(

The tactics of hitting the soft to wound the tought I knew... but hadn't worked it out... perfect :D

Fearless units suffer additional wounds instead of taking morale tests. So every unit that would otherwise have made a morale test will suffer the additional wounds.

I am sure that the RAW supports this, but isn't it odd as hell that the number of potential additional wounds for a Fearless losing "side", gets multiplied for every discrete unit that side consists of? This has always seemed a little unfair to me, and works out as a potentially significant liability for a special rule (Fearless) that is supposed to be an advantage. Strange that in close combat ATSKNF works out better than Fearless.

V

I am sure that the RAW supports this, but isn't it odd as hell that the number of potential additional wounds for a Fearless losing "side", gets multiplied for every discrete unit that side consists of? This has always seemed a little unfair to me, and works out as a potentially significant liability for a special rule (Fearless) that is supposed to be an advantage. Strange that in close combat ATSKNF works out better than Fearless.

V

I agree, I much preffered the no retreat rules of 4th over the no retreat rules of 5th.

Archived