500 point tin can

Flak

So, long story short I have an unopened assault squad of terminators and an LRC which I never used. With the proliferation of vehicle killing weapons, is it worth dropping 500 points in one squad with transport? My initial thoughts are that it will attract every AT weapon on the field. This might actually be a good thing with other vehicles on my list, effectively giving AV14 to everything else on the field until the LRC bites the dust. In that case I'm also thinking about dropping my HQ slot in the LRC with the assault termies as well, to 'sweeten' the target.

I think the eggbasket gambit works well, but can the unit return points value if my opponent decides to ignore it? Is attaching my HQ slot too risky?

I personally dislike this, but I also know that it can be undeniably effective. A unit of TH/SS Terminators led by a Captain/Vulkan/Lysander etc in a Land Raider Crusader or Redeemer or normally a dangerous and hard to kill unit that frightens a lot of opponents.

The reason I dislike this is the fact that most of the overall power of your force is in this one unit. If this one unit is negated, then your force will be severely weakened and you're likely to fragment. Therefore I prefer to field forces which spreads this out more evenly (ie Vindicators, Sternguard squad etc), thereby meaning that the enemy finds it hard to take my army apart as I can cope with the loss of one of these 'power' units.

Of course, what you do then is field two Land Raiders and Terminator squads :P.

Meta game can make or break these units. Eldar, Tau, and Guard lists can utterly destroy this unit if built properly while Marines and Necron run in terror.

Do you usualy play agianst Railgun Heavy Tau, Vendatta hauled melta vets, or Vulcan lists? The 500pt. combo is used so much that it's use is far from question. The main question is "Can you use it?"

All else considered, you already own the units, not using them EVER is the worst thing you can do with them.

Use them for Apoc, and maybe for some Special Scenarios, or a bit of Fun now and then, but not in a serious list. You could run some serious, more effective Units for 500. Like Sternguard, Vanguard, and a Thunderfire. More or less. :blush:

Is the rest of your list meched up? Even against armies teched up to beat it (Tau, Eldar), a land raider is still harder to kill than two rhinos. So yes, it is quite a lot like giving AV14 to everything else in your list until the LR dies. It's particularly effective if you can play some mobile AV13 as well (i.e. Vindicators) so you can more effectively hide your AV11 behind your wall. This effectively neuters autocannon-EQ spam which is super-popular right now.

However, I'd avoid the temptation to put even more eggs in the basket - so to speak. 5 hammernators + LR(/C) can answer just about any threat in the game. 5 Hammernators + Vulkan/Lysander is overkill in the overwhelming majority of cases. It's already painful if your opponent gets a lucky immobilise through, so imo don't make it worse.

Do decide how you're going to use them, though. There are plenty players on here who prefer the standard LR, and use the hammernators in a counter-assault role. Others prefer using the LRC proactively and aggressively. Which is better is a matter of much debate.

Archived