Golden Daemon 2010

Images of my Golden Daemon Entry for Games Day UK 2010. I intend to enter into the Single Miniature and Squad/Unit categories this year. My former GD entry has unfortunately been shelved, and therefore "Project Perturabo" will no longer be making an appearence.

By the way, I realise there are still some bits and peices on the model (like unfortunate additions in the form of brush hairs), and yes I too have noticed a few escaped mould lines and there is plenty to tide up on the base, but fear not, I intend to repair them all, so by the time the Golden Daemon competition comes around, the models will be hopefully to a good standard. I will be carrying out some maintainence work on the models, but if any one who spots something I've missed, please let me know, I would be most grateful for the observation as I would like to have them as perfect as possible.

Enjoy. C-S...

Custom built Chaplain on custom made base (model is removable)

gallery_31111_5007_10244.jpg

gallery_31111_5007_129736.jpg

gallery_31111_5007_6716.jpg

gallery_31111_5007_183333.jpg

gallery_31111_5007_288661.jpg

Custom built Command Squad on custom made base (models are removable)

gallery_31111_5007_131735.jpg

gallery_31111_5007_255173.jpg

gallery_31111_5007_193282.jpg

gallery_31111_5007_212776.jpg

gallery_31111_5007_45377.jpg

gallery_31111_5007_49782.jpg

This is the base for the Space Marine Command Squad, from which exactly the same principle is used for the Chaplain.

gallery_31111_5007_39709.jpg

Drill out your gun barrels!!!!!

Not doing so tarnishes even the most beautifully painted model.

Many thanks for the message, I totally agree with you on that, I do intend to do just that with the guns, so they should look pretty good when finished. :P

• 3 weeks later...
Drill out your gun barrels!!!!!

Not doing so tarnishes even the most beautifully painted model.

Many thanks for the message, I totally agree with you on that, I do intend to do just that with the guns, so they should look pretty good when finished. ;)

The bolter barrels have been drilled out now, and painting has commenced, though I have a feeling it may only be the single miniature that will be entered this year to the competition, the squad may have to wait until Golden Daemon 2011, as I seem to be concentrating all my time on the single miniature.

Awesome conversions! Can't wait to see these fellows painted. What chapter is they gonna be from?

They are from my own personal chapter, "The Sons of Drachus", but (and this is for everybodies information) something has gone horribly wrong in the painting side of the models, something which I won't have time to restore.

However, in the history of my Space Marine Chapter, some of the companies (mainly the original 1st-3rd companies) went full on renegade, which is explained in my personal index astartes history (which I will be updating).

So to ensure I still have a miniature to enter, I will now be working upon a Chaos version of the Chapter, and the entry will now be a Chaos Lord, but it will still be in my own distinctive colour scheme (what I like to call my signature colours).

So I apologise that the photos shown here contradict with what I will actually be entering, but I hope that this will not spoil the full effect of the finished entry at the end. Personally being a Chaos Lord, it will actually be bigger and better than before! :) ^_^ :D :cry:

UPDATE:

Unfortunately, something has gone wrong in the painting process of the models, how ever I have created a back up model to take the single minature's place.

It's is a model representing the Chaos version of my chapter, so I will have that ready in time for Golden Daemon 2010 instead.

Sorry if you were hoping to see the finished articles shown here, but I think what I've managed to creat in the single minature's place makes up for it! :HQ:

Can you get some pics of whatever's gone wrong - bound to be someone on here that can help you put it right?

Indeed, I liked the modelling process so far, so we'd like to help out with mistakes.

Can you get some pics of whatever's gone wrong - bound to be someone on here that can help you put it right?

Indeed, I liked the modelling process so far, so we'd like to help out with mistakes.

Rather awkward moment this, infact as far as it goes... embarrasing, rather "shot myself in the foot" as it were! I feel I should apologise, as it isn't the model that's the problem, it's me, I'm too critical of my own painting skills, if it doesn't look right to me it usually ends up in a box of bits and pieces. But to cut a long story short I thought I had obscured the details too much.

But now I look at the model again, and yes it is in front of me as I type this. I now realise it isn't as bad as I thought it was, I made a fuss over it for nothing.

• 1 month later...

Please if you have any comments on the project, please do let me know.

I'd also like to apologise if the previous messages I posted on this topic make me sound to be like a complete idiot, I didn't mean them to read that way.

I'll give you some input. :cuss

The model looks clean which is a good start. But I can see independent brush strokes which makes the paint look streaky. Which is not good when entering into the Demons. The model needs more shadows and lights. Right now it looks like a basecoat and a wash, which is ok for tabletop, but when entering Demons it is all about the technique and the detail work.

There is a mold line on the staff top. Pretty big one.

Also you covered the ribbing of the armor with the same colour as the armor itself which in my eyes would look like a mistake or a missed detail.

The inside of the pistol barrel isn't painted, which it should be a darker shade of the the outside colour. Also since the pistol is all one colour it looks like a rushed paint job. Try painting the casing a different colour.

The skull helmet needs more contrast. You need to highlight it to almost pure white and shade to a dark brown to give it more definition and pop. Especially since the focus of this model would more than likely be the facial area.

All in all, the model looks rushed, which is something you don't want to do for the GD's. Most the other entries spend months planning and painting their entries. I'm not saying you rushed, but based on the work it appears rushed.

Don't be discouraged though! Keep at it and I'm sure you can make it work out! :cuss

Being honest, GD have completely spotless work with freehand etc, and since this is a single mini, more detail needs to be put in it, and it just doesn't look that standard. Its not bad, just not good enough. If you got rid of the mould lines, and added enough highlights to make you eyes bleed, it would definately be nearly there. Sorry

I'll give you some input. :)

The model looks clean which is a good start. But I can see independent brush strokes which makes the paint look streaky. Which is not good when entering into the Demons. The model needs more shadows and lights. Right now it looks like a basecoat and a wash, which is ok for tabletop, but when entering Demons it is all about the technique and the detail work.

There is a mold line on the staff top. Pretty big one.

Also you covered the ribbing of the armor with the same colour as the armor itself which in my eyes would look like a mistake or a missed detail.

The inside of the pistol barrel isn't painted, which it should be a darker shade of the the outside colour. Also since the pistol is all one colour it looks like a rushed paint job. Try painting the casing a different colour.

The skull helmet needs more contrast. You need to highlight it to almost pure white and shade to a dark brown to give it more definition and pop. Especially since the focus of this model would more than likely be the facial area.

All in all, the model looks rushed, which is something you don't want to do for the GD's. Most the other entries spend months planning and painting their entries. I'm not saying you rushed, but based on the work it appears rushed.

Don't be discouraged though! Keep at it and I'm sure you can make it work out! :)

Being honest, GD have completely spotless work with freehand etc, and since this is a single mini, more detail needs to be put in it, and it just doesn't look that standard. Its not bad, just not good enough. If you got rid of the mould lines, and added enough highlights to make you eyes bleed, it would definately be nearly there. Sorry

Ah well... many thanks for the input, it's greatly appreciated, and though I am not discouraged in any way I think this shows I need to really plan my project in advance, so in consideration for the model and my skills, I have decided that I personally will not participate in this years GD, but I will continue to practice my painting and modelling skills, and I will plan something special for next years GD, I will continue to post images of my work, and I will be always most grateful to hear thoughts and opinions, perhaps 2010 is not the year for me to participate, but I will return to GD in 2011 with a new entry, prepared well in advance.

Do look out for new topics on this plan, I am thinking it ought to be something special! :(

Well if your going to the GD, I would recommend entering regardless. It's great experience and you can talk to other people who are entering and get tips and advice. I love spending time at the GD booths, it's just a great time all around. :(

I unfortunately have no official Demons, but I was lucky enough to snag 2 Mini-Demons, and a mini-sword. :) It just takes practice and patience.

Well if your going to the GD, I would recommend entering regardless. It's great experience and you can talk to other people who are entering and get tips and advice. I love spending time at the GD booths, it's just a great time all around. :)

I unfortunately have no official Demons, but I was lucky enough to snag 2 Mini-Demons, and a mini-sword. :) It just takes practice and patience.

You are definitely right, I shouldn't turn my back on my work, after all, it's the taking part that matters most to me, just to share with others my hobby with others is reward enough for me! Therefore I will enter GD this year! :D :lol:.

I am though planning for next years GD also! I plan for it to be something special, and will start work on it before the end of the year! :D

It looks pretty good to me, as pointed out before it's not up to GD standard yet, but you have a base to work from and some very good advice. I agree with what Master Chaplain said. The one big problem for me, and It's probably just a pet peeve is the base. All GD winners have clean, very well thought out bases usually with intricate details such as leaves, twigs and the like. A good base goes a long way in my opinion.

It looks pretty good to me, as pointed out before it's not up to GD standard yet, but you have a base to work from and some very good advice. I agree with what Master Chaplain said. The one big problem for me, and It's probably just a pet peeve is the base. All GD winners have clean, very well thought out bases usually with intricate details such as leaves, twigs and the like. A good base goes a long way in my opinion.

The base itself sits on a stand which has more detail upon it, I am working on the base and the stand a the same time, and plan to work a bit more on the Bolt-pistol.

With my next project (after this one for next year), I intend to attempt a very different much larger scale project, this current project for GD 2010, is perhaps now more the prototype of the next project, as well as being an entry (as I also wanted to check that the colour scheme works too!)

Archived