red thirst

angry man

first off, apologies if this has already been covered. i looked in used searchy but couldnt find anything

i just wanted to ask about a few things that came up today:, heres the situation:

as part of my army i included several (4) 10 man assault squads. i deployed one on the board, combat squadded, and kept three in reserve, with the intention of combat squadding.

i rolled for red thirst for each of my units on the board, making one roll for each combat squad of my deployed assault squad (Combat Squad rules in C:BA say split on deployment of the unit, and Red Thirst rules say roll aftr deployment). With this, there wasnt an issue

I must have mentioned that i had the intention of splitting all of my RAS, and a problem arose when i came to make my Red Thirst for my reserves. I went to make 1 roll for each unit of 10marines. My opponent suggested that i should roll for each combat squad...

my reasoning was that at the time of rolling for red thirst, reserves have not been combat squadded as this happens when they are deployed (as per C:BA) and that is when they deep strike, so therefore only 1 roll should be made for all 10marines.

my opponents reasoning was that they are treated as seperate units and therefore each combat squad needed a seperate roll

when i explained my reasoning, my opponent then suggested that i couldnt CS and DS, as deepstrike isnt deployment as this only happens before the game.

so to summarise, i guess my questions are:

1- can you combat squad and deepstrike?

2- if YES, how many reserve rolls would you make? (1 for the whole unit OR one for each combat squad?)

3- how many Red Thirst roll would you make for a unit you intend to reserve and combat squad?

Thanks in advance, and if any of this has already been covered could someone post a link please?

AM

A brief summary of teh rules for deployment, reserves and combat squads:

A player can decide whether or not he wants to divide a unit into combat squads at the moment the unit is deployed. If he divides the unit into two combat squads then they can be deployed in different locations. The player can decide to not deploy a unit at the start of the game. The unit will then be deployed later, either by arriving over one of the table edges or via deep strike.

So the rules would play out as follows:

1- can you combat squad and deepstrike?

Yes. The unit counts as being deployed at the point it becomes available from reserves and is placed on the board. At that point the player can chose to divide the unit into combat squads, and both squads can be deployed in different locations.

2- if YES, how many reserve rolls would you make? (1 for the whole unit OR one for each combat squad?)

Juts one roll for the entire unit. The decision to divide them into combat squads is not made untill the point where the unit is deployed. When you make your reserve roll you do not have to decide anything. Once they become available you can allways chose not to split the unit. Or you can.

3- how many Red Thirst roll would you make for a unit you intend to reserve and combat squad?

Just one. The Red Thirst rolls are made for all units, even those that are left in reserve. The entire squad is one single unit at this point. Even if you are certain that you want to split the unit into combat squads, at this point there is no binding decision to be made. When teh time comes that the unit is deployed you can still change your mind and not combat squad them.

The rules are a bit inconsistent in this regard, since with the combat squads you deployed at the start of teh game you will roll separately for each of the combat squad halves, while with the units you keep in reserve you do just one roll that applies to both combat squads once they enter the game. But that is how the rules currently play out. The author may not have thought of the combat squad rules when he wrote the red thirst rules, or he might have made teh player check independently for units once they entered the game, instead of checking collectively for every unit in your army after deployment.

But I don't think it is a major issue. It is probably a bit unintuitive for some people, and it is understandable when they are not certain that this is how it should work.

It is, though. You roll Red Thirst for units you kept in reserve. Then, when the unit becomes available, it may be split into combat squads or it may not.

Yep, Legatus hit it on the head; very thorough. In summary, when units break into combat squads they do so when they deploy (be it during deployment or from reserves later) and thereafter count as different units. You roll Red Thirst after deployment but before Turn 1 (possibly before Scout moves, but I forget..def before turn 1) so anything that's on the table and combat squadded, those are different units and they each get their own roll. Anything in reserves that would break into combat squads when it deploys gets a single roll. If a reserved unit rolls positive for Red Thirst (sounds like a disease, no?) then combat squads when it comes in, each of the combat squads has Red Thirst (as you might imagine).

Archived