Infiltrate and Scout special rule

I'm sure this question has been asked before, but it's just occurred to me...

I infiltrate my scouts into plain sight to be 'more than 18" from any enemy' and then use my scout move to move to 'more than 12" away'. In turn 1 would it be possible to charge, for example an enemy tank, and attack with melta bombs?

I always thought this was the case until I recently noticed the "more than" bit in the rules.

No you wouldn't be able to. As you are more than 18" away when infiltrating, this can translate to 18.1" or more. A scout move will net you six inches closer, leaving you at 12.1" (or more than 12" away). Another regular move gets you to 6.1" away, leaving you just out of assault range by 0.1" :).

Just use a Land Speeder Storm to Scout up close, then move, get out, assault with meltabombs.

It's the same as the Pitched Battle deployment, as if you both deploy as close as possible, and first turn you want to shoot with bolters and you don't move, well you can't because you're more than 24" away at that point.

In the C:SM only two units can alpha strike right off the bat, and thats land speeder storms and scout bikes.. by taking shrike all scouts can gaurantee first turn charges, and aslong as you take a bike or JP unit with shrike they can alpha strike too..

Its very possible (like i do) to have half your army hit the enemy turn one ;)

So let me get this straight...

You can infiltrate AND scout move? I was always told by my local gaming pals that it was either one or the other....

how can I clarify this in a debate?

the two are seperate rules..

SM scouts have

Infiltrate AND scout.

If they try to argue that, ask them to show you where it says its one or the other

for example the LSS has scout only, which means it cant infiltrate but can have a scout move, shrike has infiltrate but not scout so cant scout move.

No BRB with me, but isn't scouting capped something like "you may move X inches, but cannot finish closer than 12 inches"?

Yup its a normal move (6" for infantry) and cant be within 12" of an enemy unit.

So let me get this straight...

You can infiltrate AND scout move? I was always told by my local gaming pals that it was either one or the other....

how can I clarify this in a debate?

Open BrB to pg 92, note that infilatration happens before scouting (if scouting happened first they would be incompatable). Then open to pg 75 and 76 and note that while while scouting does mention it happens after infiltration, neither rule ever mentions they are mutualy exclusive. Then hand the book to the oponent and ask them to find anything, anything at all, that would lend proof to them being mutualy exclusive. They will fail.

Archived