MM/AC Landspeeders?

Arkios

We all know how great and survivable Typhoon/Bolter speeders can be, due to their versatility.

We all know that MM/HF speeders work great in Vulkan lists, and are primarily tank hunters with the option to get in close to flame infantry.

But what about a Multimelta and Assault cannon Speeder? Can it work? Is it best to Deploy these normaly, or to deep strike them? Is 24" too close to survive? Is it too expensive, points-wise?

I was just kicking the Idea around in my head, and am just curious about what others think.

I don't think this would work so well as the others, due mainly to price costs. The Typhoon is so good for its points because besides from being versatile it is also survivable due to range. When you flood your opponent with armoured targets while keeping the Typhoon at long range they have to commit a missile launcher or lascannon to take it out which they'd much rather use against your Vindicator.

The MM/HF works well because they are cheaper and so you can field more, plus they are fast enough to jump in and melt something.

I feel that the MM/AC would not work as well because it's more expensive than a Typhoon, with the same survivability of a MM/HF. Consider that 24" range leaves you open to bolters and pulse rifles which in numbers can bring it down.

Furthermore, against infantry I feel the HF is better due to it's same AP, similar strength and ability to hit more people, and so the only thing the AC adds is added anti-tank. However, the MM/HF works well because you always move it 12", it's decided to move that speed and only fire one weapon, it's how it is effective.

It might be worth using, and in the right list it could work, but I feel it wouldn't challenge the supremacy of the Typhoon or MM/HF.

I played against a guy who fielded a 3x squad of Speeders with Assault Cannons in his all-jump Blood Angels list.

While they were nice for shooting at my Ultramarines, I quickly shot them all down in the following turn with plasmaguns, bolters, and krak missiles.

The assault cannons are really great against footslogging Marines, though. 12 shots from the squadron. About 8 hit, and about 6-7 wound, with potential Rending hits. It makes for fistful of armor saves. Problem is, to be reliable against MEQ, you're hoping for the Rending shots. Anything AP4 can slice through tends to have numbers on their side (Orks, Nids, Guard).

However, I can see the assault cannon speeders being mobile enough to play a pretty good "mop up" role. Bust open Chimeras, Trukks, etc, and then strafe the disembarked passengers with assault cannon fire. The speeder is agile enough to get a clean lane of fire, and deny the target a cover save from their wrecked transport.

The price tag for such a speeder (or multiples) is very high, though.

I agree on them being too many points with such low survivalbility. The lack of range kills it's viablility, because it can't take advantage of cover as well and is hard pressed to hit something that can't return fire. The points will seem wasted when you have half or a quarter of your turns jumping from cover to cover to line up that shot(safe or not), while a Typhoon can fire on turn one and every turn afterwards.

However, city fights may prove a devestating setting for this configuration.

I think the main problem with this Speeder is that the assault cannon (along with the melta), makes it a high priority target. ShinyRhino shows this through his own experience, the assault cannons proved dangerous and so he made sure they were taken down. Therefore I feel the unit has to be treated as though it will only get one chance to fire its weapons, and unfortunately while I think it could make them count, it is too many points for a throw away unit of sorts. For less points you can get a more durable dakka Pred which can deal with infantry more or less the same as the Speeder, and can still threaten tanks (though admittedly not the same type of tanks).

My problem would be that the two weapons have the same range band, and are both fairly equal vs. tanks (MM better vs. Land Raiders, otherwise the AC wins). However, the addition of the AC doesn't really add much flexibility to the Land Speeder.

I plan to use 1 AC/HF Speeder with 2 MM/HFs in a Squadron - AC/HF gives the speeder a weapon that does something the AC doesn't - ignore cover.

Archived