A nice pair of legs?

Evening brothers and welcome to the start of what will hopefully be a fairly quick to build but long to paint project (I want to really push the boat out on something).

For some time now I've wanted to make a 'showcase' Marine who wasn't squating like he needed to go or charging like a maniac. I wanted him to be either stationary or walking at a calm and measured pace. When the Space Wolves pack was released and I saw the walking legs I thought I was on to something but alas. it wasn't to be. After looking back at this thread by The Darker for the umpteenth time I decided to try again.

I searched on the Tutorials board and re-read the 'repositioning space marine legs' thread as well as poring over an old issue of White Dwarf which had an article on converted plastic marines in it. Very excitedly I set about hacking up a pair of legs, only to end up with five different parts that try as I might, even with extensive filing and trimming would not go back together with any resemblance to a pair of legs.

Disappointedly I shelved the idea again and went back to other stuff. Fast forward to this week when I spotted a disused pair of biker legs lying in my bits box. I re-read everything again and with the idea fixed in my mind firmly I thought it might just work. This is what I have come up with:

http://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p456/pigofsparta/LegSculpt1.jpghttp://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p456/pigofsparta/LegSculpt2.jpg

I know it's not perfect, but I would like to know what you think of it. (The Mark IV torso won't be staying, it was just the closest complete torso I had to hand. I've gambled on this idea paying off and ordered some new parts to complete the mini.). Does the greenstuffed soft armour complete the legs in a realistic enough way? Does it actually look like his hips could fit in there? Eventually the groin will be covered by either some 'roman' style leather straps, a loin cloth or the armour plate on the bottom of the BA Mark IV torso but in the mean time I crave your opinions brothers!

thanks

James

Thanks for the comments brothers, I think I get what you all mean about the hips. It's not being helped that the Mark IV torso on there just now doesn't have a belt so the gap between the waist and hips is quite big. I'll get some pics up when the bits I've ordered arrive as hopefully it'll look a bit better with a different torso on it.

I don't think this'll turn in to a diorama more just a stand alone mini that's not in the thick of combat :P

thanks

James

Double post I'm afraid, but the parts I ordered arrived this morning. I've taken a couple more photos with a different torso and I think it looks a bit better because the gap between the waist and hips is smaller now. Still not entirely perfect but I'm reasonably happy with it for a first attempt:

http://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p456/pigofsparta/DSCF8501.jpghttp://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p456/pigofsparta/DSCF8502.jpg

The BA icons might not stay as I've not yet decided how this guy will be painted up :D

I forgot to say to Ferrus Manus last night that yes I did use biker legs, with the groin and feet taken from another pair of regular marine legs.

thanks

James

IMHO the problem is that the thigh armor is too far apart. If he stands upright like this, the thigh pieces should be (almost) touching. This would also solve part of your problem with the hips.

James, you are on the right track mate, It's difficult to get round the 'thin hips' of marines that are standing up straight, thats why you will rarely see a Space Marine not looking like he's about to use the toilet... Simple answer... Cheat. Pouches and or grenades around the waist belt area. thats how i do it!

A suggestion, i always found that the knee pads on the biker legs are a tad flat, you might want to think of re-sculpting them to help with the painting later on as well.

Hope you are well otherwise mate ;)

John

@obliterator: I can see what you're saying mate but I don't want to scrape of the G/S and start again on this one, at some point I'll probably make another mini like this and I'll bear that in mind for the next one ;).

Hey John, good to hear from you. I'm not doing to bad thanks :) how's things with you?

back on topic; great minds must think alike, I thought about using a holstered bolt pistol on one side and a couple of pouches on the other side ^_^ and if I can sculpt it (I'm gonna try anyway) a leather 'loincloth' in the middle.

As for the kneepads, I was thinking of trying to scrape them off and resculting them as Mark IV ones to give a complete mark IV suit. I'm not 100% on that yet though. (Hersey Era anyone?)

A couple more photos this morning, I've come up with a loose pose for the mini, although I'm not completely sold on the bolter being where it is. I think perhaps it might look better slung with something else or nothing in his right hand. But I'm not sure if that'll be easy enough to achieve.

http://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p456/pigofsparta/skull3.jpghttp://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p456/pigofsparta/skull1.jpghttp://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p456/pigofsparta/skull2.jpg

please excuse the mould lines, I won't clean anything up until I'm ready to start glueing stuff together.

thanks

James

The greaves look very high on the ankles; they look a bit like he has outgrown his trousers? Could the legs be sunk down onto the shoes, or extend the greaves down?

If I was an enemy sniper, I'd aim for his ankles!

I like the idea of a straight 'AttenTION" pose; stiff, upright and unemotive.

The greaves do look a little high. I do commend you on this project it doesn't seem easy to make something that should be at the ready all the time be a rest. I like the whole skull in his hand, but I'm kind of miffed everyone else got to the Yourick quote (hate it when people are quicker than me lol) but over all your conversion work is clean and besides the mold lines (which I am guilty of from time to time) I really like the idea and I think you're onto something!

Nice work mate, thanks for the mention ;D!!!. You have the same problem that i have when i began my marine, and the real problem is... that space marine armour is badly designed. Really XD. Look at every new marine who is walking or with his feet close: first, usually they have a different/variant armour in the ankles (hard to explain when english is not your language! )or... have some kind of decoration to "hide" the soft armour. Also, with the legs close the armour in the... uh...."manly zone" of the armour would look strange so... they usually cover it with fur, clothes or something similar (or make him walking so you don´t have to worry about it. Just look at all of this kind of marines, nearly EVERYONE has this... tricks of GW XD

It´s a good work, i just would suggest to turn a bit a feet (as they had told you) to give a more relaxed position, and (in other mini) to re-do a bit the union legs-manly part ;). It would be easi(er).

I´m planning on doing a tutorial someday with different legs... when i have time. I will tell you when i finish it so you can see and tell :D

Good work!!

Thanks for your comments everyone;

@ The Darker: No problems on the acknowledgement, I like to give credit where it's due :(. I got your message and I'll PM you back when I've got a little more time ;).

@ Brother Sevrance and Commander Sasha: I can see what you mean about the greaves and I can easily remedy it with the application of 'pulling off the feet and filing the join down a bit'. Thanks for pointing it out to me, I'd have felt a bit daft if I'd got him painted and someone had said that ;). While I'm doing this I can turn the feet out a little more as The Darker suggests (and he knows what he's talking about). Oh and don't worry brother Sevrance once I'm settled on all the bits I'm using everything will be cleaned up thoroughly so there'll be no mould lines or anything.

@ Kayesh nice idea mate, I might try and work that into another mini somehow :)

@ Killian Doyle: I'm not gonna play with the hip joints on this one as I plan on disgusing them with pouches and stuff, but hopefully moving the feet a bit as I said above will inject a little relaxation into the pose. The idea I have in my head for the mini is a Heresy-era marine contemplating the skull of a traitor, (I thought about painting a Chaos marking on to the skull's forehead to show this. I remember in reading in Daemonifugue and at least one other Black Library production that the brand on bone is something the Inquisition have never been able to figure out as it doesn't burn the skin of flesh...) I'm not set on a legion for this fellow yet although obviously he's a Loyalist.

thanks

James

Very atmospheric piece Brother! Coming along very nicely!

However, if I could be so bold;

1. The soft 'piping' between groin and legs is too wide. This is because of the angle of the legs, or rather, where you've cut them. I encounter this issue on a regular basis, given I never use standard legs, because I don't like my marine riding invisible space ponies. To counter this, slice an angle of the leg away, vertically, to make the two lines (being the groin and leg where you plan to join) as parallel as possible. This will pull the leg in, minimising the 'hips don't lie' factor, and making the marine more anatomically correct. Hope this explanation isn't utter gibberish!

2. You need to 'scallop' the greaves at the bottom to have them rest more naturally on the feet. Use a scalpel and circular file for this. It's easy peasy!

Hope this helps! :P

Jongleur

@ Capt. Jack: Your explanation isn't complete gibberish mate, and if/when I make another pair of these legs, I'll use what you and others have suggested to fix the problems I've encountered on this pair. For the time being though I plan on hiding most of the soft armour joint at the hips with kit and a loin cloth :lol:. I've only got this one pair of legs I can use just now so while I will fix the feet and greaves I'm not gonna touch the hips on these ones again...

@manofmanynames: thanks mate. I think he'd make a great objective too, but he won't fit with either of my armies as I think I'm definately gonna go with a Heresy-era paint job on this guy... hmmm Heresy Era army? I need to do a few more commissions to get that kind of money together.

@Merkava: I hear what you're saying brother, but The Darker beat me to that and in far more stye too (check out the link at the top of the page if you havent's seen it already). This is more inspired by elements of that artwork and his mini than recreating it. By the way, the cake most definately is a lie... you're not even going the right way ;).

James

I think you should keep it the way it is.

Ahem

"To be, or not to be: that is the question:

Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer

The slings and arrows of outrageous fortune,

Or to take arms against a sea of troubles,

And by opposing end them? To die: to sleep;

No more."

I think you should keep it the way it is.

Ahem

"To be, or not to be: that is the question:

Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer

The slings and arrows of outrageous fortune,

Or to take arms against a sea of troubles,

And by opposing end them? To die: to sleep;

No more."

...or the space marine version:

"To kill, or not to kill: that is the question:

If the emperor demands it, I shall kill any foe (or die)"

Archived