Esternal Warrior Vs. Mark of Nurgle

I got into a discussion and I ran into a bit of an uncertain area.

Abaddon counts has having the Mark of Nurgle (+1 T), so his toughness stat is displayed as 4(5).

He is also immune to instant death, so he can't be doubled out.

If Abs gets hit by a strength 10 weapon, do you roll on the Toughness 5, or the base toughness 4?

My thinking is that GW intended for that for this particular situation you would roll on his base Toughness of 4, otherwise why bother making his stat 4(5) if his toughness is simply always going to be 5?

But the instant death rule is the only place I can find that mentions doubling of a targets toughness, and Abs is specifically immune to it's effects.

Thoughts?

if you read the chaos codex maverick it says he is T5 inb the same way as a model mounted on a bike.

Now going to the bike section of the rulebook it states "Bike riders benefit from the protection offered by their bike which increases their toughness characteristic by 1. Note that this does not affect the models toughness for the purpose of instant death." no where does it state that a model hit by a weapon 2xS roles against their original T.

as for intention, going back a couple of editions to 3rd ed would still give you the same result, a model is 1+T for all puposes except instant death to 2xS

Are you talking about the to-wound roll? Because if Strength 10 has hit a Toughness 4 or a Toughness 5 model, either way it's a 2+ to wound, so there's no issue. As Abaddon cannot be instant-killed there's no worry which you take, however S10 will instant-kill both Toughness 4 and Toughness 5 anyway.

Long story short, it's 2+ to wound either way, and I'm not sure what else you could be worrying about the Toughness for, especially at T4 or T5 versus Strength 10.

Since instant death is not an issue, I think the main reason Abaddon's toughness is listed as 4(5) is to avoid any confusion about the Mark's effect on his toughness score; it starts at 4, and the mark raises it to 5. If it was just listed as a straight 5, some people might claim that his base toughness was 5, and the mark raised it to 6.

Archived