PDF Inquisitorial Codexes

The DH and WH codexes have just been released by GW as free downloads.

While there has been no mechanical updates (old wargear is still old, point costs are the same, etc), there have been a few, surprising, changes, due to what has been ommited.

The ally rules are gone from both Codexes, as are the Inducted Unit rules from the DH codex (while the WH remain). This is an obvious change, as the DH Inducted rules have been deliberated changed to be covered by pictures (apart form the German Language version...).

Other pages are also missing, indlucing the page that details what 'Grey Knight' or 'Daemon' mean in terms of the codex.

The question, is whether these are the latest, offical, versions of the rules, and 'update' the physical Codexes we have (or not).

Does this mean that officially (play with friends any way you want...) DH can't induct units any more, and no army can include Inquisitorial Allies?

This is the latest update for the codex so allies are gone... what friends do is between friends -_-... but on that note people can use any old and out of date codex if others allow it... let me use chaos 3.5 please ;)

Your both wrong-;).

Check pg. 16, on the left hand side "By the Authority of Immortal Emperor of Mankind".

You can still induct SMs or IG into a SoB list.

It is interesting to note that they now require you to take troops units of the army in order to get advanced stuff though.

And to add to the OP's questions as the description of what classes as a Daemon are gone is at now as straightforward as a Daemons a Daemon? So all GK benefits affect C:Daemons but not say the Avatar, which it used to.

although, it still lists nurglings, daemon packs etc as getting sustained attack vs grey knghts, under the grey knight list of their special abilities.....

Yes, i know sustained attack doesn't exist anymore, jus saying is all.

I just downloaded DH and WH .pdf codexs and compared them to my hardcopies. They appear to be identical reprints, although the DH seems to be missing a few pages. BoLS seems to imply that these are just stop-gap re-releases until the 5th ed codexs are printed and released, and that any missing info is to be blaimed on a lazy editor deleting rules when they only intended to delete painting guides and fluff.

Your both wrong

*cough*

The ally rules are gone from both Codexes, as are the Inducted Unit rules from the DH codex (while the WH remain).

:D

but not say the Avatar, which it used to

Eldar Codex lists the Avatar as a Daemon, so it's still all good.

There is no smiley big enough to show a facepalm of this magnitude.

Editting out my post! :lol:

I tihnk I took the wrong end of the stick at who the smilty was aimed at! :P

Edit: I'm still trying to find some 'official' line for why these craptastic updates can be ignored. Let's howe GW come to thier sense and remove/change them...

Editting out my post! :angry:

I tihnk I took the wrong end of the stick at who the smilty was aimed at! :)

Edit: I'm still trying to find some 'official' line for why these craptastic updates can be ignored. Let's howe GW come to thier sense and remove/change them...

I don't see why they are craptastic? Grey Knights are most likely being replaced with a Codex:Grey Knights by the sound of it meaning C:DH has hardly anything in it except for rubbish storm troopers... random Daemon hosts (they are cool but random) and a cool as armoury! and the crappy storm troopers aren't even unique... C:WH has them as well...

Then you have C:WH... they can still induct so that list hasn't really been broken...

If you are talking about allies those were messed up anyway... I'll admit they were cool but 75% of the time I've seen people take allies recently... they took a Inq Lord with a psyhic hood (if they were guard and maybe if they were marines) with two mystics... and armies who can't replicate those abillities by themselves are not supposed to have them... The other 25% was mainly to take assassins or grey knights... a few odd people like me might take random units like daemon hosts for my relictors army...

Without the ability to Induct Guard, the DH army is dead.

It's worse than Necrons.

It's a craptastic update becuase noting was updated, nothing was added, yet some intergral rules were deliberatley removed.

Sure we might be getting a Codex. But it won't be this year. And there's not even any offical 'rumours' about one.

Hopefully next, eh? Maybe we should be happy with that? Would you be if your main army were the Grey Knights?

If you want to discuss the wider merits (or not) of these Codexes that's fine but can you do so in this topic PDFs are up, If missed from the 2010 Topic already running in the Ordos section, and leave the topic here in the OR strictly for rules-based queries.

:P Just as an aside though - I'm gutted I can no longer field GKTs as Allies in standard games, gutted.

Cheers

I

Sorry!

Trying to get this back on topic, what are the fors and against for these updating the physical codexes or not?

They are the latest versions of the rules. And they have been deliberated amended from thier previous, physical incarnations.

Is this all that is needed for them to count as the current, 'legal' versions of the rules?

- Not all players have access to the internet. *gasp*

- Not all players have registered on GW's website.

- Not all players got the WD telling them it's online now.

- Not all players, who have accessed the above, have a printer turn it into a hard copy.

- Not all players have an ipad or Kringle that they can download it to and carry it around on.

- It doesn't have the "Official" stamp on it that every other thing does.

On those many grounds, I'd dismiss the PDF "codex" until the new one comes out. I paid for my physical copy, and I'm going to use it. Not for long anyway of course...hehehe...

- Not all players, who have accessed the above, have a printer turn it into a hard copy.

- Not all players have an ipad or Kringle that they can download it to and carry it around on.

On those many grounds, I'd dismiss the PDF "codex" until the new one comes out. I paid for my physical copy, and I'm going to use it. Not for long anyway of course...hehehe...

Not all palyers have a copy of the 5th ed marine codex

Not all players can afford a new book

Not all players got a notice a new codex came out.

On those many grounds, I dismiss the 5th ed "Codex". I paid for my physical copy of the 4th ed codex and I'm going to use it.

Unless your opponent does have it, and as the most up to date version of the codex you would have to use the PDF. Friendly games discounted ofcourse

Not all players have access to the internet. *gasp*

Not all player have access to GW stores as well.

So what's the point?

I think people are looking too deep at the codex pages they posted. OMG, the title page is missing...there is no author?

There is nothing anywhere that indicates the PDF uploads replace the existing codexi in this case. They were put there because people wanted to have access to them, since they have run out of them. To some extent, it boosts both knowledge and sales. Especially since many tournament attendees in certain genre feel they really need to use the DHs as allies, for the psychic hood, tarot, and such.

Most clamoring is coming from Ard Boyz and RTT people, bot for and gainst their use as allies.

At this point, I'd let the tournament organizer decide, and await a 2011 re-release of the next versions. It would not really surprise me to see GW amend or revise the PDFs after a few days of buzz...Most people would not have normally cared. Look at all the people going to their web site to take a peak...

Never fear, B&C! I bring news!

I have been in contact with Customer Service the past few days, and this is what I've learned.

1) 'Ard Boyz will continue to use the Allies rules (this year at least.)

2) I was told that Allies/Inducted Unit rules would be between you and your friend/tournament organizer.

3) I was explicitly told that GW would continue to support the original version in their tournaments, which implies that this will be their stance for multiple tournaments (i.e. not just 'Ard Boyz...)

Archived