stealth Generator rule...

Green Devils

Situtation:

enemy unit is equipped with stealth generators and it is normal day-fighting.

Friendly unit attempts to "see" the target, so that he can fire. He is 25 inchs away and rolls a 3 and a 2. This means he can not see teh target.

As he did not physically shoot, would he still be able to run?

Justification why he should:

In real life, if you don't see something because it's invisible , you wouldn't even attempt to shoot at it, you would continue as if it was not even there.

I know that if it was night-fighting, you could say that they looked where they knew the unit was to try and get a shot, but only saw darkness.

being invisible however, would mean that the unit would not even know it was there.

Maybe a change for the rule in the future might be that at the start of the shooting phase, 2d6 is rolled, tripled, and that any units not in that range of the stealth unit can't even target it.

Situtation:

enemy unit is equipped with stealth generators and it is normal day-fighting.

Friendly unit attempts to "see" the target, so that he can fire. He is 25 inchs away and rolls a 3 and a 2. This means he can not see teh target.

As he did not physically shoot, would he still be able to run?

Justification why he should:

In real life, if you don't see something because it's invisible , you wouldn't even attempt to shoot at it, you would continue as if it was not even there.

I know that if it was night-fighting, you could say that they looked where they knew the unit was to try and get a shot, but only saw darkness.

being invisible however, would mean that the unit would not even know it was there.

Maybe a change for the rule in the future might be that at the start of the shooting phase, 2d6 is rolled, tripled, and that any units not in that range of the stealth unit can't even target it.

I can't say for the stealth shield but other things that cause similiar tests state that if the test is failed the unit may select another target and so I guess running would also be ok!

RAW- you cant shoot at another target. In fact, since its as per night fighting we can flip t page 95 of the BRB and see that all firing is prohibited.

Since running is done instead of firing, you cant run.

It might not be imbalancing, it could make a good house rule, but as it stands you cant run after declaring. To give a "real life" reason- your forces satellites/air cover said they detected energy signatures in that area, or someone said "I think I saw something boss!" and so everyone tried to get a bead on it... and it just never happened.

Are you talking about the Tau stealth field generator? If you are, then it is stated, either in the Tau codex or the Tau FAQ, that if a unit fails to "see" the Tau unit equipped with a SFG, then the unit may not elect to target another unit. By this I would also say that they are not allowed to run either. The fluff justification, as given in the rules (of the SFG - again either codex or FAQ, I forget which), is that the unit firing has become aware of something there, but their auspexes and augurs are not reading anything, so they are spending the time (remember it is a brief few seconds in real-world time), checking their readings and attempting to establish whether it was a real target or a ghost reading - remember, this wargear item may or may not actually make the user physically invisible to the naked eye. It could simply be like modern stealth technology - "invisible" to detection systems.

Also, and bear in mind this is notquoted from the rulebook or anything, a unit must choose whether to shoot or run first. Then they measure range, line of sight etc, but first and foremost you make the choice - run or shoot, and if you choose to shoot, then which target.

Long story short, no, they couldn't run.

Hope that helps.

Archived