Deamon prince stratgies

JTJP

The next item im going to purchase is a daemon prince, I would like to know of some good stratigies to use against swarm armies involving his abilities.

All answers are appericated

Thanks

Jake

It would depend. Does he use powerfists or anything like that ? My Demon princes are always Wings, Nurgle, and Warptime. 175 pts. going from cover to cover, or hide behind my land raider as it moves up to aid i nthe assualt, hit another group, or to get across the board if there isnt enough cover around. but do not.. do NOT charge into cover with him if at all possible. swarm or not, high Weapon skill and strength doesnt save you if he has 30 orcs hitting back at 3 hits each or somethign like that. some will get through enough to wound you up before you whittle em down.

I have a lot of experience running MoN/Wings/Warp, MoN/Wings/Rot, MoT/Wings/Warp and MoS/Wings/Lash.

See a common theme? Wings! I have found that a DP without any specific power still performs exceedingly well for its points, but if it is wing-less, it performs exceedingly poor. Warptime helps you take out those Marines that you can't seem to get out of combat with unless you kill every last one of them. Rot helps thin out those unbreakable 30 man Orks squads. Lash helps you get the charge on far away heavy-weapons infantry or units that you need to deny the charge to. Each power has a specific role and it might be a good idea to just see what thing your army lacks the most and attempt to pick a power to fill that role.

That's why you don't send him in unsupported. You can also soften them up a bit with some shooting if necessary.

Weight of numbers will pull a single Prince down in no time.

My main problem is getting swarmed by 30 or 40 ork boys and then my friend has like freaking 130 hits on me.... and then well im dead lol

Don't let them get the charge. Ever.

Also, use pieplates. Defilers and Vindicators are your best friends.

I've played two people now using my Orks against their daemon princes, and somehow they both let me get the charge with my boys or nobs. Be smart. The prince is a beast, but he's not invincible. You don't have to jump straight forward 12 inches every time. Keep him supported and you'll be fine.

Also, both guys used Mark of Khorne. I felt like telling them there are better ways to make use of their prince, but I bit my tongue and kept it to myself, since both seemed to be rather sketchy.

Your Prince is your hammer. Your troops are the anvil. Set the enemy on the anvil (get tied up in combat), and drop the hammer (charge with the Prince). The Prince will swing the combat in your favor like 99.9% of the time.

and drop the hammer (charge with the Prince).

DOM! Let's drop the Hammer! (+1 Internets to the person who gets that)

But seriously, this guy is right.

The way I use my DP against PA armies is a good unusual tactic. I take Wings, Mark of Tzeentch, Wind of Chaos and Warptime, then use my DP as a flanking unit, or as a nasty surprise hidden out of view behind terrain/my land raider. He essentially works as a flying "template o' doom" with the ability to mop up anything not killed by the power, and works great as the "Hammer Blow" described above, or as an assault unit in his own right (versus smaller units). I changed the wording of my tactic from "good", because recently in my games he's done nothing but die, because my frequent opponent knows how stupidly powerful (and expensive) my DP is, and tends to throw everything he has at it on turn 1 :)

(Linky to a Batrep I did showing exactly what I mean!)

Against Orks, Nurgle's Rot is a good power to take, especially as a Nurgle DP is harder for Orks to kill anyway.

Against Orks, Nurgle's Rot is a good power to take, especially as a Nurgle DP is harder for Orks to kill anyway.

See, this is what I was going to tell the two people I played against, but I kept it to myself since they were both rather conceited. Maybe if I see them again I'll strike up a friendly conversation with them, but both have been MIA from the store for two months now.

Oh, I forgot to ask if you've made switchable marks for your Daemon Princes? I've seen some cool ones where people will change out the shoulder pads to make em look pretty sweet. Or do what I do and just paint up all two of each four marks and have them sitting in your box and if need be, just have em lay on the base of the model during the game.

Another DP strat: Skip the power and just go Mark of Khorne and wings. They are cheap and killy!

Archived