Independent character joining units

I was talking today with a fellow Necron player, and he said to me he could join a necron lord in a destroyer body to a scarab unit, so the opponent wouldn't be able to shoot at it. I said he was worng, cause destroyers are jetbikes, and by the FAQ, scarabs are infantry.

But a was checking the rulebook and it says that an Independent Character can join any unit, except one-man units or vehicles!

So, by RAW, can a marine IC in a bike join a tac squad???

Looks very stupid to me... of course, the bike will need to move at the pace of the infantry, but they are big enough to stand out as a target himself.

and not being able to get inside transports... otherwise you would see a few dark eldar players with reaver jetbikes in raiders :angry:

Also remember if he puts his lord in with the scarabs you wound against T3 and templates do 2 wounds instead of 1....

Thundefire cannon S6 shot will ID the scarabs... the S5 shot will ignore cover if they are hiding/turbo boost (although they will get a save it is only 5+ and you still inflict 2 wounds). Even large swarms should go fast from a thunderfire cannon... and you might even cause some damage to the lord... leaving him out in the open to suck on rockets or something...

of course you an join anything. Also, technically a necron lord with a destroyer body is still an infantry unit.

In fact, it's a grey area: lords of foot are infantry, destroyers are jetbikes (necron faq) - but there's no word on what a destroyer lord actually is. Not that matters in this case, BRB he can join the scarabs unit anyway :P

Also remember if he puts his lord in with the scarabs you wound against T3 and templates do 2 wounds instead of 1....

yeah, I would wound against T3, but no, the extra vulnerable to template wounds are just for the scarabs, they can't spill on the lord... unfortunately :P

this is a good tactic for necrons, they move like jetbikes so can cross the board in the first turn and get 2+ covers saves (lord gets 3+).

you can kit the lord out with gaze of flame or something so if they get charged you wont get bonus attacks.. plus with a warscythe there is little he cant crush.

you could give him nightmare shroud so after moving 24" he can trigger it and cause every unit within 12" to take a Ld test.. good for gunline armies who hug the backlines

Archived