Mark 16 Damocles Armour Sculpt

Dragunov

Hi all, I think this is my first post here so just wanted to say hi and that I love all the work on here! I especially liked the brilliant Dornian Heresy work, hence this post.

I wanted to get a little practise sculpting, so decided on the amazing artwork for the Damocles Pattern Armour. Here's where I am up to after about 5-6hours work:

http://www.double-eagle.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/mark16_damocles_armour_scale.jpg

http://www.double-eagle.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/mark16_damocles_armour_2.jpg

http://www.double-eagle.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/mark16_damocles_armour_1.jpg

Would love to have your feedback guys on the sculpt. Be as harsh as you feel you need to be, I would like the input!

Thanks for the input guys and I loved that Borat thing...hahahaha...played over the speakers in the office now they all want it as a ring tone!

On the casting thing, yeah I did think about getting a mold done of it if it turned out ok on the sculpt, so watch this space (marine...oh dear...)

D

I'll be watching this with interest. I'm trying to think where I've seen that style of armour before...............probably in some game or something. Wherever you drew the inspiration from, it's still recognisable as a Marine.

The armor is from the Dornian Heresy right? The Ultramarines had it.

Got it in one! Drawn straight from page 41-42 of the Dornian Heresy. Ultramarines have decided to open up the use of technology, in particular, that of the Tau. So stable plasma weapons, rail bolters, that sort of thing.

D

The armor is from the Dornian Heresy right? The Ultramarines had it.

Got it in one! Drawn straight from page 41-42 of the Dornian Heresy. Ultramarines have decided to open up the use of technology, in particular, that of the Tau. So stable plasma weapons, rail bolters, that sort of thing.

D

Rail Bolters? I musta missed that part, DO WANT. You need to make a Rail Rifle-Boltgun hybrid for this marine now, even if it's slung or held in one hand. :P

Rereading the Ultramarines section in the PDF is making me want to do an army, they seem to be the good guys, taking that award from the Tau in the normal timeline.

Oh wow, total fanboy moment! Are you really the artist that drew this madscuzzy!? Brilliant, brilliant work, love it and need to see more!!

In answer to the other question, a using fimo soft and fimo black mixed.

D

Little bit of progress, just fleshed out the vambraces and upper arms, fixed a few little wrong bits and added the collar using some brass tube and putty. Still needs a few bits fixing up at this stage too, such as the top of the left shin plate.

http://www.double-eagle.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/IMG_7331.jpg

http://www.double-eagle.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/IMG_7337.jpg

That's all for now guys, aiming to get the vambraces and hands fleshed out this evening. It may involve me making at least a stand-in for his plasma pistol to sculpt around and the banner pole.

Anyone got any suggestions about how to sculpt the shoulder pads?

D

Thanks Sigismund, much appreciated!

Am having a little crisis... looking back at the artwork, the stomach plates seem a lot flatter and a little less overlap.

I think I may have to trim and redo these plates...what do you guys think?

D

I think it's your call. There is always room for artistic impressions. When I designed it, I based it off the tau plate design, which is basically just lines. Yours works too, as it helps deal with overlaps.

From an armor standpoint, you want those overlaps in the armor, imagine if a combat knife hit those plates, it'd skip from one plate to the next doing little if any damage to the armor.

If it was like the Tau plates with hit little line insets it'd have no purpose other than decoration, and that's a Emperor's Children issue, I can't imagine these Ultramarines making armor without a utilitarian point of view taken into consideration.

I personally also like the way the overlapping plates look, lets you have mobility without too much of a sacrifice in protection.

Actually, while part of the design I had in mind was based off tau, I never stray to far away from Robocop's design. It is a big source of inspiration for me. The design for the mk16 is a combination of the current, tau and robo belly armour, as it still needs to move. Having armoured joints, but with gaps can possibly work, but is a weak point. Regardless it can be made to look cool too, and the added lines give detail, especially to some sculpt this large. The angled plates that you have are very practical and helps in realism. Even Hot Toys' Ironman Mk4 and Warmachine are using this design. So your call.

robo 1

robo 2

robo 3

Archived