Scout moving vehicles

karm

Just wanted to clear one thing up, can I move flat out when scouting a fast skimmer vehicle? Such as a valkyrie, if so, does that mean I would count as being obscured for the first turn even though I might not be going first?

you can move flat out, however if I recale due tot he wording of vehicles you do not get any benifits from it as the benifits come from having performed the action in the previous turn (and the scout move does not qualify as previos turn). Bikes turbo boost however does count as its benifits are aplied the turn after turbo bursting (and the first turn is in fact a turn). Weird but RAW.

Yes, you can move Flat Out when you Scout move. Because of wonky rules, a fast skimmer will count as being stationary (so no benefits at all) on the enemy's first turn, whereas Bikes Turboboosting do get their benefits because of the way the rule is worded.

We had a big arguement about this at my LGS. Ultimately even though it is RAW that you count as not moving and are not obscured it was ruled that you get the cover save because it made absolutely no sense the other way around.

So I guess it's annother case of RAW not making logical sense (why am I not surprised). The purposes of player sanity I would allow anyone doing this to carry over cover saves if they were playing me, and I think others should do too.

So I guess it's annother case of RAW not making logical sense (why am I not surprised). The purposes of player sanity I would allow anyone doing this to carry over cover saves if they were playing me, and I think others should do too.

Actualy it does make logical sense. A scout move represents models roving ahead of the rest of the army before the battle starts, it no more represents actual movement than standard deployment in your deployment zone.

Actualy it does make logical sense. A scout move represents models roving ahead of the rest of the army before the battle starts, it no more represents actual movement than standard deployment in your deployment zone.

Then why do bikes get the cover save for turbo boosting?

because the rules are silly.

because the rules are silly.

That man speaks the truth! But in all honesty, you cant really justify having one situation giving cover saves and the other not, I think if you are playing with scout moving bikes and vehicles it should be both get it or neither, because it is just completely unfair to allow bikes to get the saves annd skimmers not, even if it is RAW.

you cant really justify
You can, via the rules. It's unfortunate, but any other way to play is only house-rules.

Urgh, that''s exactly why I avoid GT's and annoying players who get picky over the rules, imho, using a rule that makes absolutely no sense just because the rulebook hasnt covered that particular situation is no way to play the game.

because the rulebook hasnt covered that particular situation is no way to play the game.
But, it does cover the situation. Everything is spelled out clear as day.

If they actually intended on that being the outcome, then they are even worse than I thought they are. When I said 'not covered' I mean overlooked a situation in which the rules make no sense at all. Even if the rules do reach a conclusion to a particular situation, it doesn't mean GW intended it to be that said conclusion. They make mistakes, like all of us, it's up to us to use our better judgement to make games fair and enjoyable for everyone.

Archived