Kitting Out scouts

mikey85

Hi all.

Now i realise there are a number of threads up already but I was wondering what the best approach would be to kitting out scouts for a RG army. I've got a 10man scout squad in my army and thier main goal is to infiltrate, drop a beacon so my pods can bring the pain, then charge / support the in comming troops.

My initial thoughts were 4 CCW/BP and 5 Sotguns with a PF on the serge but I would like to get other peoples opinions on the matter. Cheers

Well if you're planning on infiltrating for your beacon, I'd suggest either entirely combat blades, or 10 shotguns. With blades that's 31 attacks on the charge for 140 points. That will help a lot to support your pods. Or 10 shotguns so you can pump that pesky unit with 20 strength 4 shots before assaulting, ensuring that unit (with pod support) will die.

I personally don't find that a mix of blades and shotguns work, but if it works for you then go for it.

One compelling argument for all the squad members being the "same" is wound allocation. The Sergeant already singles himself out. It's a real aspect to consider. Fluff-wise, you have it I think.

I like to mix the shot guns and bolt pistol/CC weapons, with a slight leaning towards more CCWs. If you are not going to give the sarge a combi weapon (I'd consider a combi flamer), then give him a shot gun, and have 50:50 CCW:shotguns.

The shot guns give you a few more shots on the way in and can still charge, then can be the first guys to allocate wounds to during the assualt, leaving you with more CCWs for round 2. The only drwa back is the lack of AP if you are shooting AV10 vechiles, which isn't too much of a lose.

Unfortuatnely the beacon only affects teleporters. YOu will need scout bikers if you want to affect the pods, or other DSing units.

If you are planning on using Shrike in your army, then load up on BP/CCW Scouts. The real avantage of Shrike is the army-wide fleet ability. For Scouts, this means a credible chance at a first turn assault. Take advantage of it.

If you are planning on using Shrike in your army, then load up on BP/CCW Scouts. The real avantage of Shrike is the army-wide fleet ability. For Scouts, this means a credible chance at a first turn assault. Take advantage of it.

Yup this is how i do things now, theres little point in taking the extra shooting attacks since you wouldnt get to use them, it would also reduce the number of attacks you do in the first turn.

since most people take off the shotgunners as first casualties you might aswell drop them for the extra attacks and get stuck in on the first turn.

Yup this is how i do things now, theres little point in taking the extra shooting attacks since you wouldnt get to use them, it would also reduce the number of attacks you do in the first turn.

since most people take off the shotgunners as first casualties you might aswell drop them for the extra attacks and get stuck in on the first turn.

Thats not 100% true, against any enemy with either a higher initive than you or a WS of 7 or higher, the shotgun will be superior on the charge, on subsiquent turns of course it will be inferior so it is the obvious casualty choice.

edit: never mind, you were talking about a shrike list, so running=no shooting.

Archived