A new way of stripping tanks?

UltraRich

I managed to get this Predator in an auction for £7 so I thought it was worth a punt.

Unfortunately it had a number of coats of paint.

It was undercoated in places in GW white, spray painted with black undercoat, painted in red enamal in other places and finally given a thick coat of red spray.

It was a mess.

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f372/rbrewster101/IMG_0259.jpg

I tried by tested method of sticking it in a bath of degreaser but it wouldnt shift the red or black as they must be based on different paint. I left it in there while I figured out what to do.

We borrowed my parents pressure washer to clean the fence and I thought why not?

Heres the results (I took off the hatches as Im changing them)

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f372/rbrewster101/IMG_0264.jpg

Heres a bit of advice though. 1) you need to get really close to the model to blast it properly. Keep your fingers clear as I caught myself and it cut through my skin before I could take my finger off the trigger. 2) Pressure washers are really strong so you dont want to blast fragile bits (note the bolter is now separate) 3) you want to make sure whatever your blasting is fastened down somewhere. I nearly blasted the laser over the fence.

Basically it worked a treat but this is probably really dangerous so please use caution if you give it a go.

Ive just got a whole load of forgeworld parts so Im tricking up this predator and a Rhino I have. Will post pics soon.

next time try putting it in a tub or fairy power sprey leave to soak for about 20 mins then attack with a tooth brush and all the paint well 99% will come off over a course of 3 dips :)

I had it in flash power spray and all it did was bubble slightly.

I think the primer and red coat was a different kind of paint the the suff I normally strip. The toothbrush fetched some off but it left big patches.

Im drilling the exhausts and adding a but of green stuff at the moment so I should have an update tomorrow

Pressure sprayer, I love it, lol! Nice tank for the auction money spent. Was it worth your finger?

Hahaha, yes, but skin heals back FOR FREE! :rolleyes:

Anyway, i bought a very sorry looking pink enamelled baneblade a few months back. Leave it in simple green for ages. It takes longer but it DOES go through... It was clean after about a week or two. I havn't had time to work on it yet so it's still in the simple green as i type now. (after about 7 weeks!)

Looking forward to seeing the progress on this. Always love seeing what people do with auctioned models :D

Keep your fingers clear as I caught myself and it cut through my skin before I could take my finger off the trigger.

This is nasty, happened to me last year aswell. I have a job on a farm and I need to 'play' with that thing quite often to clean things up, we also have a very tiny nozzle so that you can hold the gun in one hand and the stuff in the other (basically you'll have a 'pistol' like gun then) or atleast get close with your face to see how it goes. One of the first times I used the nozzle I didn't pay attention enough and sprayed on my thumb... allot of skin was gone, was really nasty and painfull for quite a while.

If anyone is planning to do this aswell, use working or rubber gloves, that is what I'm doing now and it is safe ;)

Archived