Berserkers:Blood and Sand

Hi everyone,

Ive been browsing this site for a while now and every time I come across the true scale guys I want to do one. So after a while and waiting for some real inspiration, I'm giving it a bash! Recently I've been watching the new TV program Spartacus blood and sand and thought some massive space marine gladiators would be awesome. But who in the 40k world could get away with a gladatorial feel to them? Well like any true DA fan there was a little bit of chaos in me waiting to get out! ha ha, and so I chose the Blood god Khorne.

So true scale Khorne berserkers it was to be, but I wanted them to be massive, really 'roided up after the millenia of warfare and still surviving. I decided to follow one of Doghouse's tutorials for the up scaling of the body but wanted some exposed arms- similar to Khârn and a slightly older used armour feel to them. After some long deliberation the kits i decided i needed were:- chaos termi's, ork nobs and WFB chaos warriors. Luckily at my local gaming club one of the guys said that he hed some spare WoC helmets and gubbins that I could pinch if I fancy, so naturally I took them with relish! One less kit to buy.

Anyhow enough prattling on, you get the idea, the pics are here and I'd love your thoughts, crits and comments. Ta!

gallery_41292_5053_1108235.jpg

five berserkers in the making.

gallery_41292_5053_816852.jpg

gallery_41292_5053_163713.jpg

Doghouse upscaling from termi legs and torso's. yes the green stuff was allowed to set then filed/sanded until a nice finish. still not awsome but after thousands of years of warfare what does a traitor want?

gallery_41292_5053_1034663.jpg

So I blue tacked the dude together and took a scale shot! huge, wicked! but those Nob fists were too big so Ive decided to go with the termi fists but stick with the huuuge arms!

gallery_41292_5053_861026.jpg

gallery_41292_5053_1786400.jpg

gallery_41292_5053_1285636.jpg

Well here is the finished product, I attempted to do some GS mail armour for his hasty repairs to the dilapidated armour. Ill wait until I find out what you guys think until i finish the rest.

Thanks for looking

Thanks for the comments, i take it you like them! well not to disappoint ive continued to build 2 more of his brothers. here they are:-

gallery_41292_5053_220687.jpg

gallery_41292_5053_1319650.jpg

this guy still has a little GS work to do on him-fill up some gaps. I also need to order some chaos back packs, the first one i havent got a clue how i got it! and the next:-

gallery_41292_5053_1775890.jpg

gallery_41292_5053_3689.jpg

this guy is supposed to be in a "supplication to khorne" pose but something isnt just right. granted he isnt finished but i cant place my finger on what is wrong. maybe its the way ive slightly widened the top of his thigh armour (i added some detail but didnt recess it), that has maybe thrown him out of proportion but not sure at all. please let me know, your guidance would be great. as always C&C's wanted. ta for looking

for your supplication to khorne pose, i feel you may be right, something doesn't 'click' like the rest of them...

i would tilt the head forward, so he is looking strait on, as a "shoot me, i dare you" pose, the axe dude is awesome, but feels a bit stationary, maybe running legs? (sorry)

Very nice work. Solid use of the Nob weapons. Love the poses and the fact that they are firggin huge. Will this be a one off or are you planning on taking it to the next level and going for a sqaud or dare I say an army of these huge killing machines?

Gub

Hi all! thanks for the replies it really has kept me perservering with these guys. also thanks brother martimis and skirax for the ideas for changing my "suppliction" guy. he's undergone some severe reconstruction! as you can tell here-

gallery_41292_5053_1799554.jpg

gallery_41292_5053_182481.jpg

im already much happier with this pose, a damn sight more dynamic and menacing. its working but thought id get all your approval of this version instead of the earlier pose before i finished him.

another guy has been done which ive been getting quite excited about, well here you go:-

gallery_41292_5053_1553835.jpg

so right now i betting your thinking why is he doing the monster mash? well he aint! he's getting ready for the execution of an inferior xenos!! blood for the blood god!

gallery_41292_5053_86269.jpggallery_41292_5053_363746.jpg

gallery_41292_5053_508769.jpg

so i hope you like them all so far! id really like your thoughts, so as usual C&C's greatly appreciated. cheers peeps!

thanks valius!:)

back on topic...they look very gladiatorial(like in spartacus blood and sand).

Which was where the OP got his inspiration from, so it really shows. I really like the last one so far, he is pure awesome :)

Very impressed with these models, glad you re-did 'supplication dood', remade him into 'i'm gonna bodycheck you' (maybe a spiked shoulderpad?)

and i have to applaud the guy gutting the dire avenger

am assuming very tanned skin???

(in homage to spartacusses wife, are you getting Dark eldar slave girls?)

WOW! thanks everyone for the cracking comments, i wasnt really expecting it! ta.

well seeing as you like these guys here is the finished charging 'serker (minus backpack)

gallery_41292_5053_946357.jpg

not much difference from the wip version of him, just gs'ed the shoulders and put pauldrons on and glued all in place.

And the final guy is here, even a 'serker knows that using his bolt pistol can cause devastating effects

gallery_41292_5053_1263521.jpg

a little more stationary but sometimes even a crazed super human has to take aim! besides have you seen the size of the freakishly large chain axe he's weilding in one hand!

finally all of them together

gallery_41292_5053_1518871.jpg

so i hope you like them all, next thing is has anyone got ideas for bases? i've been looking at different resin cast ones as it'll be a little easier for me, but just not sure! thought about keeping it simple just sand, but ive already got a wasteland style army (granted its red-ish) but i felt like something different. so any ideas and C&C's please people. ta for looking

Archived