White Scars Scout

Rogan

Hi folks,

another thread by me.

As soon as I read the "new" codex Space Marines I wanted to depict a White Scar like the hunter he's supposed to be. Getting inspired by the movie "Predator" (the original one with Schwarzenegger, that is) I wanted him to strip the flesh of a hunted-down enemy.

Here are the WIP results of that idea:

http://img257.imageshack.us/img257/9017/whitescar.jpg

Please let me know what you think! For the base I'll use some water effects, a corpse and some static grass.

This piece will be on eBay as soon as it is completed.

I like it and it's cool to see because I've been wanting to use the SW head for a WS scout myself. That being said I think the spear is to long, personally I would have used a sniper rifle but thats just me. All together a nice model so far and a good clean paint

Hey Jarl, thanks for the reply (my first one! *sob*)!

The spear might actually be a little long, yes, I agree with that. I was inspired by hoplite's spears, which were up to 21 feet long. But to be honest, despite all the hunter theme thingy I didn't consider the fact that a javelin would be more appropriate and practical than a dory.

Hope this is not a major setback - I'd hate having to short it after painting the blade...

It's a bit late at night here, and I'm rather tired, so I haven't given this as much attention as I should (I'll check again in the morning), but it's looking good so far. Nice crisp, clean white.

I agree with Jarl Bloodwolf about the length of the spear however. I am no expert, but it's my understanding that a typical hunting spear is rather shorter, often (but not always) able to be thrown. Either way it certainly isn't as big and heavy as a spear that you might find in a block of infantry spearmen, which your spear reminds me of more.

I'd personally shorten the spear a bit, or at least the blade on the end (big heavy blade at the end of a long bar will be unweildy to use on a hunt) and it will look much better. But that's just my opinion, of course go with whatever feels best to you.

Also I'd suggest, as he's supposed to have just skinned his game, have the skull painted covered in gore, as if it has just been skinned, and have the knife he used to skin his kill nearby, perhaps planted in the ground next to, or through the corpse. Just a suggestion, to add to the narrative of the piece.

*EDIT* - Sorry, you have got blood on the skull. My bad, missed that.

The spear might actually be a little long, yes, I agree with that. I was inspired by hoplite's spears, which were up to 21 feet long. But to be honest, despite all the hunter theme thingy I didn't consider the fact that a javelin would be more appropriate and practical than a dory.

Hope this is not a major setback - I'd hate having to short it after painting the blade...

there's no reason for a scout to have a spear anyway, though. spears are for forming up in impenetrable shield walls, or using when mounted on calvary. a single guy with a single spear is just unwieldy, slow and easily flanked.

that being said, i think it looks cool, so forget all that noise.

i hope you're doing more with the base though, it's bland at the moment.

there's no reason for a scout to have a spear anyway, though. spears are for forming up in impenetrable shield walls, or using when mounted on calvary. a single guy with a single spear is just unwieldy, slow and easily flanked.

Spears can be used to hunt with, which is what this model is in the act of doing, rather than on a battleline in an assault.

@ Iron Father RK: that's what I basically wrote in the post above; but never mind. I, too, am tired. But I think I'll use the idea with the knife stuck into the ground! That's a great one. I think I'll use one of these.

@ Pigeons: thanks for the criticism. I really appreciate that. And yup, I'll do something with the base. It's supposed to be sold on eBay, and who would buy a mini sitting on an empty base? ^^

@ Iron Father RK: that's what I basically wrote in the post above; but never mind. I, too, am tired. But I think I'll use the idea with the knife stuck into the ground! That's a great one. I think I'll use one of these.

Apologies Rogan, when I started writing you hadn't replied, but once I posted you had, otherwise I wouldn't have commented further.

Hey Iron Father, never mind.

I WANT you guys to comment on my attempts at creating proper minis!

Even if you may repeat yourself - or my reflections :-D

'Alas, poor Yorick! I knew him, in America.'

Sorry, he looks like he's talking at the skull in the last pic. Anyways...

He looks very nice! Yes, the spear looks a bit long, and the base is bland, but otherwise he looks excellent! You'll have to say when you post it on eBay! I'm considering bidding on him...

No problem on the reply, as for the spear you dont really have to waste ur paint just cut under the head of the blade so its flat then find your length u want on the shaft and cut it flat then glue the blade back on and then touch up on paint.

I'd say the curved one it looks more like a skinning knife plus if ur gonna cut the tip off so it looks like its sticking into the ground it would still look like a knife as with the other one being leaf bladed I think it will look wierd. Also just an idea you could order a quiver from the WHFB Goblin rang and a suitable bow and put them on his back

Archived