[3D] Project: PA

I have been a member of the site for a few years now, but until recently I have not been able to contribute visually, preferring to stay within the echoing halls of Liber. However, I have now begun studying 3D, and for my personal project I knew I had to create a suit of power armor.

I've only been able to work on and off, in between school assignments, but this summer I will be dedicating a bit more time to the project, so hopefully things will start to shape up.

To get things started, I have some WIP shots of the suit as it currently looks. I've been struggling with finding the right proportions; finding a compromise between the numerous different artwork incarnations, the miniatures and what I personally think works. As it stands, I'm pretty satisfied with the proportions, but I will probably make adjustments as I go. C&C on that is appreciated.

As for the modeling itself, the base shapes are more or less done. I might go back and redo some things, but for now I'll focus on adding details, decorations and all the tiny bits.

This will end up as marine from my own DIY Chapter, the Heralds of Light.

Software used:

Modeling / Rendering / (potentially: animating) : 3Ds MAX

Texturing: Photoshop & Mudbox

Post production: Photoshop & After Effects.

gallery_22046_5057_60283.jpg

gallery_22046_5057_36408.jpg

gallery_22046_5057_45499.jpg

gallery_22046_5057_32746.jpg

gallery_22046_5057_32288.jpg

C&C is welcomed.

Note: Ignore the dodgy shadows in certain areas. The lighting is not final.

@ Shadow Captain Corveus:

Thanks.

The Barrel-chested look is actually the effect I was going for, as it's something I've always associated with the Astartes. Often I find that the chest is too small in other artworks or similar, for my taste. It is bare though, but I'm planning on adding wings to the skull, and that might make it not so extreme looking.

Still, I might even adjust it further later.

@ Ferrus Manus:

Oh shoot! I forgot to mention that this will be a Herald of Light. Updated the first post.

Done some detail work on the chest, and ended up adjusting its shape a bit as well.

When creating the aquila, I tried to keep it as simple as possible, both because I not sure I'm good enough and to keep myself from spending too much time on it. However, I'm not sure about the current look, so I could use some opinions.

gallery_22046_5057_50895.jpg

Again, the shadows are acting weird, and disrupting some of the detail, so please forgive me.

one of the best 3D marines ever! congrats :D the head especially is the best i have seen for sure

the legs and backpack are a little chunky, and the chest armour looked a bit off but the second posting^^ makes it look much better

great work :D

P.S. the aquila is fine :) only comment is that on most kits it takes up more space but thats definately something that you could interpret differently

As a fellow user of 3d products; it's great to see another 3d piece appear.

The basic shape looks great; I can't fault you at that. As for the problem you mentioned with the legs, I think if you taper the armour in towards the flexible joint part, it may reduce the chunkiness.

The aquila - instead of hard modelling it, if you think you may take too long on it, have you considered Normal Mapping it instead? Whilst not as crisp as hard modelling, the same effect can be gained with less time. Also; if you don't think you're good enough, try getting some reference images and if the software you're using allows you to, import them as backdrop images. Point/box modelling from such images is easier.

I wish you luck with the endeavour and will be keeping an eye on this.

@ wiplash: Thanks, that's a very encouraging comment! I'm glad you liked the helmet, as it's one of the things I want to get right, since a lot of what makes a Space Marine so iconic is the look of the helmet.

I see what you mean about chunky legs, but to be honest I like them that way. But, when you say the backpack is chunky, that leaves me slightly confused.

@ Martox: Thanks. Yeah, I think there is slowly popping up more and more 3D works on the board, and I think it's great too.

Just to clarify, I have no problems with the legs. I have gone back and forth between a more sleek, tapered look and the current one, but I always go back to the one I have now, just because I want to legs to have that massive look.

I'm trying to stay away from normal mapping, both because as you say, the result is more crisp, and because the only program I have available to do normal maps is Mudbox, and I have so far had some issues with it. It's absolutely fantastic for texturing, though.

I'm familiar with the reference image method, but the problem there is getting good references.

@ Jellitin: Yeah, one of the main concerns I had was the size. I think I just have to bite the bullet and give it another go.

Here's a little test image, to give you a sense of where I want to go with the final render. This is by no means final (he is not rigged, I just carefully rotated some objects and set up a temporary light), but I think it will give an impression of the feel and atmosphere I'm going for.

The pose is a little boring. This is partly because he is not rigged. Secondly, his main role is to be a 'pin-up' for may Chapter, displaying heraldry and stuff. However, I will try to push the rigging to the limit and see if I can't make one in a more dynamic pose as well.

gallery_22046_5057_38976.jpg

@ wiplash: Thanks, that's a very encouraging comment! I'm glad you liked the helmet, as it's one of the things I want to get right, since a lot of what makes a Space Marine so iconic is the look of the helmet.

I see what you mean about chunky legs, but to be honest I like them that way. But, when you say the backpack is chunky, that leaves me slightly confused.

after having a second look at the back packi think that the only reason it looked chunky is the flat open planes. But im sure you'll be adding vents and bolts etc all over the place.

i think the top and middle plates of the back pack could do with being extruded a little more

@ wiplash: Yes, I will be adding extra bits to the backpack. This, combined with texture, will hopefully make it better.

@ Reyner: Thanks. I'm using 3D studio MAX. I'll be using Mudbox and Photoshop for textures.

I went back and redid the aquila. It's only slightly wider because I'm having trouble modeling over rounded surfaces, but it cover more vertically. It even has a bit of the Chapter symbol incorporated into it.

So what looks better, this or the last one?

gallery_22046_5057_1687.jpg

I'll keep the new one then :D

I'm currently unwrapping the model. For those who don't know what that means, in short, it's a horribly tedious thing you need to do before you can add textures to 3D model. As I'm going, I need to do some testing to see if there are some problems with the uv coordinates.

I was testing the uv's of the helmet and found out that they were okay, so I decided to do some test textures to see how it would look in MAX.

This is the colors of the Infinity Knights, a DIY by Ace Debonair. Ace, myself and a couple of others are working on a campaign

Note that the ear pieces and eye lenses are not textured, just a single color, but you get the picture.

gallery_22046_5057_35318.png

the yellow is too "pastel"y imo it needs to be a richer, brighter yellow to complement the green eyes

i presume the scratches and aquila are textures? they look great! the texture on the grill/mouth isnt to the same standard the colour is too blotchy go for a more scratched flat/gradient colour it would look much better

I personally kinda like the yellow. Ace's description is 'a sandy orange, like the sands of their homeworld', and I used the SMP image of his color scheme as a reference. I see what you mean though, and I might have actually made it even more 'pastely' then it should be, but that is mainly because I think the gold on the aquila would fade away if I had used a richer orange.

I do, however, completely agree with you regarding the mouth. It looked much better in mudbox, but in MAX it got blotchy. If I return to this I'll see if I can't mend it.

Thanks for the Comments guys.

Thought I might do some texture testing using the actual color scheme I'm supposed to use.

Did it a bit different than last time. Started off the same way, by making a layer of white paint with small variations in tone and some minor dirt and soot in crevices. Then I made a layer of highly detailed metal texture as a base, and made the white top layer a few percent transparent, letting some of the metal shine through. Struggled a bit with getting the right highlights, but I think worked out, and I think the mouth looks much better than the last helmet.

grill/inside of mouth, eyes and the small ear details are not textured in this image.

gallery_22046_5057_47634.png

@ Darth Potato: Thanks, man! You're making me blush :P

Progress has been slow lately, but at least there's been some progress. Still doing test textures as I go, and I thought I might as well show you guys. Been testing gold, trying to get the right look.

gallery_22046_5057_314099.png

Thanks!

I've already answered that question, but thinking about it, I guess it would be best to add the information to the first post.

I'm using 3Ds MAX for modeling/rendering/(potentially: animation). Mudbox and Photoshop for texturing.

Another update. I'll stop now until everything is textured. This is just to give you an impression of the scheme. Mainly white, with black as contrasting secondary, plus golden and blue details.

Also could use some opinions on the pad texture.

gallery_22046_5057_415644.png

I prefer your texturing of the power armor than to that of the new direction Black Library seems to be taking with their covers portraying Space Marines. I believe the artist's name is Jon Sullivan. While I like some of his work, I'm not a fan of the power armor's appearance. All personal preference of course, but I would much rather opt for the stuff your creating. Simply but, it's brilliant. :devil:

Archived