[Artworks] The Order of the Virtous Lily WIP

*dreamy sigh* Your artwork has a real stylised look, for a few moments there my mind wandered to dark future action packed anime series following the exploits and heroism of devoted Sisters.. I could see it so real, if only. Really like your artwork, good proportion, love how you make them unique and capture the characters. Look forward to seeing who you feature next and what role they play in The Order.

Such nice crisp designs, you could run amok with these in photoshop and bring them to life. Layer up your Sisters and make a devine wallpaper.

Emperor forsake me, I want to get on with my own two pieces of WIP which are models for pre-dreadnoughtising heroes of my chapter but your work makes me want to draw. Argh why must I be torn.

The pieces you draw are truely amazing, I can see a little anime creeps in around your characters profile on your named character (friends? 40k? what blasphemy is this! :HQ:) but I like your drawings as they really have that sense of sinister feel to SoB (bar your canoness who looks confused about something, maybe why her chainsword isn't embedded into a heretics skull!) along with the colour scheme you chose.

The white symbolises purity but the purple indicates a sinister, but justified, side which is not to be under-estimated. The gold trim shos the warriors are fine soldiers who are able to not only take, but also dish out punishment. Tell me, accruate or am I still suffering from my art teachers constant drillings about arty farty things?!

I give you applaud you both for your style (which I am envious of, I can't draw that well just yet) and the way you present it. Must ask what program you are using or are you scanning them onto your computer? Do you at all do skeletons to mark out the rough position or do yo give it a 'lets just draw it' and hope for the best? (and clearly so far it's turned out well!)

Now if you excuse me, I must go decide whether continue watching anime, listen to music and ether paint or draw, play games or just in general have a mental breakdown over choices!

Emperor forsake me, I want to get on with my own two pieces of WIP which are models for pre-dreadnoughtising heroes of my chapter but your work makes me want to draw. Argh why must I be torn.

The pieces you draw are truely amazing, I can see a little anime creeps in around your characters profile on your named character (friends? 40k? what blasphemy is this! :P) but I like your drawings as they really have that sense of sinister feel to SoB (bar your canoness who looks confused about something, maybe why her chainsword isn't embedded into a heretics skull!) along with the colour scheme you chose.

The white symbolises purity but the purple indicates a sinister, but justified, side which is not to be under-estimated. The gold trim shos the warriors are fine soldiers who are able to not only take, but also dish out punishment. Tell me, accruate or am I still suffering from my art teachers constant drillings about arty farty things?!

I give you applaud you both for your style (which I am envious of, I can't draw that well just yet) and the way you present it. Must ask what program you are using or are you scanning them onto your computer? Do you at all do skeletons to mark out the rough position or do yo give it a 'lets just draw it' and hope for the best? (and clearly so far it's turned out well!)

Now if you excuse me, I must go decide whether continue watching anime, listen to music and ether paint or draw, play games or just in general have a mental breakdown over choices!

I really appreciate elaborated comments like yours! ^^

You're right about the white colour symbolizing purity, the purple is due to the chapter's background story. There once was a sister superior of the Order of Our Martyred Lady holding a village's gate against a seemingly unending tide of chaos cultists. Having fought bravely for an entire day and night, she eventually fell to her knees and died, not without having slain every single foe. When her sisters finally found her, they buried her in the centre of the village she had saved. When the next spring had arrived, a single purple lily had grown on her grave and was proclaimed a sign of the Emperor and her former squad decided to found the Order of the Virtuous Lily to honour her courage and her sacrifice. The village later became the capital of the chapter's homeworld. Since then, for nearly six millennia, the flower had appeared every spring.

First, I make a quick mock-up, roughly sketching the poses, followed by adding all the details. After that I scan it and color it using Gimp 2.0. If you are interested, I might do a step-by-step of the next sister. ;-)

By the way - I would love to see some of your creations.

I like them, the colored piece shows that you are well versed in color-fu. Still I would suggest to ink them digitally after scanning, it will make the linework much crisper.

I myself can't draw at all, so i have to use renders. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

I quite like the art style on these, it is clean and presentable, much like the color scheme. One criticism I do have is about the legs. To me, the Sister charging into battle looks like she's falling over, and Sister Donna looks like she has the needs-to-use-the-bathroom legs, like those statues Games Workshop sells.

Incidentally, do you have accompanying Sister of Battle miniatures?

As SisterofChaos is not available at present, I take the liberty of answering The Normish's question on her behalf.

Aye, there are some WIP miniatures.

She's currently working on a standard issue "bolter b***h" and it's quite sweet, especially since it's her first one.

She intends to post the sister, too, but does not want to do so unless she has finished it.

... It's gonna take a little while, for SisterofChaos doesn't really like painting as much as drawing... A pity, isn't it? Meh!

• 2 months later...

Ok, first things first:

She is WiP, so she WILL have a backpack strapped on. It's not just like I'd forgotten... *cough*. And that's why it's hardly more than a pencil sketch.

Here I present to you Sister Soraya; she's the special weapons expert of squad Salome.

http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/1831/scanimage001kt.jpg

It's my first melta gun ever - and some of the worst pair of legs. So... just ignore her lower half...

Sisters rule. ^^

Fine piece of art; however, I'd like to see some more dynamic pictures. For example, you could make her charge an enemy tank. That'd be great - seeing how the melta turns a traitor Leman Russ' front armour into slag...

I could list hundreds of things that are awesome about this pic but one strikes me most of all. You've drawn a female with short/guy-like hair but even if I put my hand over the rest of the picture (taking out the female form from the equation) its still easy to see that it's a woman. You've got some damn awesome drawing talent.

Id be interested in seeing you take on draw a female dark eldar or two.

Fine piece of art; however, I'd like to see some more dynamic pictures. For example, you could make her charge an enemy tank. That'd be great - seeing how the melta turns a traitor Leman Russ' front armour into slag...

Really? I love the fast that she's got this "Im a bad-ass. Come near me and you're going DOWN!" look to her. Personal taste I guess :)

@ Rogan: you know exactly that I'll NEVER ever draw a tank. Maybe in HIHTC, but that's different story. If you try to remember, I've already drawn more dynamic pictures - but I won't post them in here, 'cause they're way too bad.

@ koran: Thank you so much!

Please start listing, I'd love to hear every single one of them :-D

I might give drawing DE a shot; but I'm not too familiar with them. As far as I know, there will be a new codex, but as I won't purchase it, I'll hardly ever learn much about their visual style.

I saw the models; they're pretty pretty... Time will tell. But I can't promise anything.

And to be honest - I, too, love that bad-ass look - that's why most of my sisters have sort of a grim expression.

Remember sister Donna? ^^

And @ all those who think I'm not a nice person: Rogan's a friend of mine, he likes to be treated like dirt. ^^

Next step:

http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/7976/scanimage002b.jpg

Inking. The lines are now much clearer and stronger than before.

I'm already working on the coloured version, but I won't be able to complete today. My hand kills me! XD

I know the feeling :) These are some very nice pieces of artwork you've done here. Good details and the proportions look right (sadly I'm no expert on Sisters but it seems ok to me). Colours you put down on them will be very interesting; nice and simple yet they blend well together.

General thumbs up from me :blush:

@ Hubernator:

Thank you!

I hope you won't be disappointed:

http://img181.imageshack.us/img181/793/soraya.jpg

Here's the finished Sister Soraya.

Hope you like her!

I took some liberties, especially concerning the melta gun. Didn't want the canister to be a chunk of metal - it's so ugly ^^

Very nice! The brown of the gloves doesnt go very well with the brown of the meltagun "support-handle" or whatever it is called. It is kinda hard to tell were the hand begins and the melta ends.

- Natanael

@ Natanael:

Thanks a lot!

I've heard about the "brown issue" from a few people now, but I just don't understand the problem: from my point of view, the colours fit almost perfectly.^^

After all, it's red and brown, not brown blending into brown.

@ WarInHeaven:

Hey, you keep on postin' in my thread. Kinda nice ^^

My friend, too, told me that they're way too big; but since I forgot to add them manually, I had to draw them digitally. It's been quite difficult, and after I was finished I didn't to start all over again. I won't forget it next time. I swear ^^

A sister seraphim?

I'll try it. The problem is that I've sketched a few sisters - characters, that is - and none of them is a seraphim. But maybe I'll change a concept or two. ;-)

The worst problem of all is their pose. A charging sister is not too hard to do, but a jumping, charging AND flying sister is. And it's easy to slip from an epic heroine into an awkward geek... ^^

@ S. Bloodhowl:

"Amazing as always" - hope I can keep you satisfied :-D

Archived